Firefox and form factor
Hey guys,

a little question concerning Firefox.

I could easily install it with 

Code:
sudo apk add firefox

But then, the form factor does not fit too well to the phone screen.

I followed these instructions, but it did not help:
https://wiki.postmarketos.org/index.php?...ew_desktop

Also, the directory ./config/gtk-3.0 does not exist. I created it, but maybe that was not the idea of the instruction.

Does anybody have good idea?

Best,
Thomas
(04-15-2020, 02:10 PM)Concrete_panda Wrote: Hey guys,

Code:
sudo apk add firefox

Also, the directory ./config/gtk-3.0 does not exist. I created it, but maybe that was not the idea of the instruction.

Best,
Thomas

I found enabling the Wayland option (at the end of those instructions) did the trick.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(04-15-2020, 02:50 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 02:10 PM)Concrete_panda Wrote: Hey guys,

Code:
sudo apk add firefox

Best,
Thomas

I found enabling the Wayland option (at the end of those instructions) did the trick.

Did you create the directory ~/.config/gtk-3.0 and the file settings.ini in it?

I actually even tried with the Wayland option, but even this did not work.
(04-15-2020, 03:08 PM)Concrete_panda Wrote: ....

Did you create the directory ~/.config/gtk-3.0 and the file settings.ini in it?

I actually even tried with the Wayland option, but even this did not work.

It has been a while and my memory may be wrong. But I think I did not - I seem to recall finding the directory was missing so I skipped that step Blush  But I did get an FF that fitted the screen and was pretty fluid to use.
(I also think that since then I read somewhere else that the step should not be skipped!)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
@Concrete_panda  @dukla2000 form factor now is fine. What about keyboard? Do you have any idea how to solve the issue?
(06-11-2020, 08:50 AM)Dmytro Wrote: @Concrete_panda  @dukla2000 form factor now is fine. What about keyboard? Do you have any idea how to solve the issue?

I haven't been on pmOS for a long time, pretty much settled on Mobian now. What keyboard issue? Mobian is also limited to phosh & squeekboard at the moment but hoping to get away from that at some stage.
(06-11-2020, 01:41 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: ... What keyboard issue? Mobian is also limited to phosh & squeekboard at the moment but hoping to get away from that at some stage.
Forget to mention the issue with Plasma mobile. Only Qt apps have on screen keyboard. UBPorts image is RO mounted and resembles Android too much Sad
May be it is time to try phosh Smile
(06-11-2020, 02:25 PM)Dmytro Wrote: ...
UBPorts image is RO mounted and resembles Android too much Sad
May be it is time to try phosh Smile

Yeah - I also have a problem with my linux phone having a 2.4G partition of my limited eMMC dedicated to a partition called android (and some other smaller partitions with android in the name).

I also recommend Mobian over pmOS for phosh, mainly as Mobian has the PinePhone as its only focus for the moment whereas pmOS is constrained by a larger legacy installed base.
At least for me I have had no scaling issues with FF in PmOS or Mobian since around March, except when you open a second sub-window. Those don't seem to resize correctly and have no left and right scrollability.

Like if you go into preferences and choose the network connectivity option at the bottom of the general page to turn on DNS over HTTPS...you can check the option, but the okay/apply/close button that's usually on the lower right of the window is inaccessible because the whole right half of the window is cut off.

Anybody else having that issue or have a solution to that?
(06-12-2020, 05:13 PM)gotomech Wrote: At least for me I have had no scaling issues with FF in PmOS or Mobian since around March, except when you open a second sub-window. Those don't seem to resize correctly and have no left and right scrollability.

Like if you go into preferences and choose the network connectivity option at the bottom of the general page to turn on DNS over HTTPS...you can check the option, but the okay/apply/close button that's usually on the lower right of the window is inaccessible because the whole right half of the window is cut off.

Anybody else having that issue or have a solution to that?

using sxmo-ui on pmOS and don't have this issue. (edit: There is only a Cancel and an OK button, but I can see 3/4 of the OK button and it is easy to click. There is no Apply or Close button. I verified this on Firefox on my laptop also)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Firefox Crashes on Start-up (latest installer) & How do I change Default Browser? aLoop100o 1 350 11-22-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Latest build no firefox, text editor? cosmicschock 2 2,237 10-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Last Post: cosmicschock
  File selector dialogue crashes Firefox stozi 1 2,601 11-22-2020, 01:40 AM
Last Post: quantumphoton
  firefox width dan640 2 3,645 09-16-2020, 09:50 AM
Last Post: dan640