Any PINEMUSIC player project? or a crowdfund to test demand
Somethinng like Sandisk's Sansa Fuze with Rockbox OS  

That you can actually buy from 30 USD - 100 USD can be improved in PRICE and PERFORMANCE

With 
- 2 SD readers
- 2 M2 Slots - small factor -
(for backups and hard copies)
- replaceable batteries
- USB C to HDMI
- WiFi 6
- BT 5.x
- UFS 3.x

It can be tested with a crowdfunding

Being cheap and good enough it can be a best seller
(04-06-2020, 11:42 AM)mitcoes Wrote: Somethinng like Sandisk's Sansa Fuze with Rockbox OS  

That you can actually buy from 30 USD - 100 USD can be improved in PRICE and PERFORMANCE

With 
- 2 SD readers
- 2 M2 Slots - small factor -
(for backups and hard copies)
- replaceable batteries
- USB C to HDMI
- WiFi 6
- BT 5.x
- UFS 3.x

It can be tested with a crowdfunding

Being cheap and good enough it can be a best seller

Noted ;-)
What a coincidence. I just registered to ask If there was ever any talk about an ipod nano like project that could run rockbox. Or if it already exists (almost certainly not as I did some googling). Big Grin

I presume it could be done considering technologies pine 64 already did? I mean they/you pulled off linux smartphone, a tablet is coming (I am going to buy that), a smartwatch so an mp3 player shouldn't be impossible?

But I am a bit worried that there are simply not enough of us weird people left who still use mp3/mp4 players for it to be a viable product...
If it is "cheap" enough (~$100) I would buy it. BUT at the moment the market has cheap mp3 players and expensive Audiophile players and nothing really in between. (I bought a cheapest  high-end possible).
I don't believe in audiophile functionality, but wanted good analog output, and uSD card support.

A real problem with making a mp3 player is that you need GOOD software, while pine normally makes without software, and leaves this to the community. So I can only see this project succeed if a software community is involved with it from the beginning.

I love to carry my HUGE collection with me, but that doesn't work with normal mp3 software since they create a database for their (unneeded) fancy features. I just want to pick the a directory (album) from the file tree and play the album.
I even don't use playlists.

Current players that support large uSD for audiophiles who have huge file-size per track (flac DSD ...), instead of huge amount of tracks (small mp3s); where the database stuff starts slowing / failing on the low power CPUs.

So I would love top have a pine player but it will need some software community, I am will to contribute to for my use case.
A solution might be to store the files in directories and only support database based features when a database is available which could be generated with a companion application on the connected PC.

Needed features:
- high quality audio HW,  codec and analog amps
- uSD card(s), large  xs; minimal 1, expect 2
- headset 3.5mm!
- Large battery life
- minimal audio file support: ogg, flac, mp3
- USB: work as USB mass storage (optional work as USB HQ output codec)
- optional BT: with enhance audio out codecs (which are mainly proprietary) and appliaction control and optional audio in for using the HQ HE to headset.
- control: buttons, touch, BT app?

I would challenge the SW community to come up with a iPodTouch like application for the pinephone.
Sso pine could later make a phone (like) device with better audio output if demand is there, or if no demand we still have a good media player Smile

Mine 2c Paul
(05-17-2020, 03:42 AM)Go to https://www.rockbox.org/ and ask them to improve what you think must be improved.I think they are good enough now, but you must always improve that.PS: A Pinetab mini would do the trick for a Pinemusicpljanson Wrote: If it is "cheap" enough (~$100) I would buy it. BUT at the moment the market has cheap mp3 players and expensive Audiophile players and nothing really in between. (I bought a cheapest  high-end possible).
I don't believe in audiophile functionality, but wanted good analog output, and uSD card support.

A real problem with making a mp3 player is that you need GOOD software, while pine normally makes without software, and leaves this to the community. So I can only see this project succeed if a software community is involved with it from the beginning.

I love to carry my HUGE collection with me, but that doesn't work with normal mp3 software since they create a database for their (unneeded) fancy features. I just want to pick the a directory (album) from the file tree and play the album.
I even don't use playlists.

Current players that support large uSD for audiophiles who have huge file-size per track (flac DSD ...), instead of huge amount of tracks (small mp3s); where the database stuff starts slowing / failing on the low power CPUs.

So I would love top have a pine player but it will need some software community, I am will to contribute to for my use case.
A solution might be to store the files in directories and only support database based features when a database is available which could be generated with a companion application on the connected PC.

Needed features:
- high quality audio HW,  codec and analog amps
- uSD card(s), large  xs; minimal 1, expect 2
- headset 3.5mm!
- Large battery life
- minimal audio file support: ogg, flac, mp3
- USB: work as USB mass storage (optional work as USB HQ output codec)
- optional BT: with enhance audio out codecs (which are mainly proprietary) and appliaction control and optional audio in for using the HQ HE to headset.
- control: buttons, touch, BT app?

I would challenge the SW community to come up with a iPodTouch like application for the pinephone.
Sso pine could later make a phone (like) device with better audio output if demand is there, or if no demand we still have a good media player Smile

Mine 2c Paul
Maybe a dual (triple) use device would be nice?

Something that you can use to play but also record sounds with (i.e. with a reasonably high end stereo microfone)?

That way it could be used as a dictation device and with a small docking station also as an home assistant (Amazon Echo like).

With some nice big buttons it could also be used for live music sessions to quickly record and loop samples.
Only reason I own a cell phone these days is because my last MP3 player caught on fire while I was driving (at 80mph and listening to Megadeth at the same time. Fun times.) There is very little in the way of mp3 players these days, and a new Black Berry Passport was practically the same price and better specs than what I wanted.

So yes, PineMusic would have my vote if it meets my needs. I'd buy one for every old car I own.

What do I need?

-3.5mm Audio Jack.
-Lithium Battery
-USB support (Don't need fancy dancy USB-C crap. Just plain Jane USB.)
-As much internal space as possible. 160GB minimum.
-Wifi support
-Bluetooth support (for those times when I get stuck in a crappy new vehicle)
-Support large SD cards

Option Ideas that would set it apart!
-Sata hard drive support, including power, would be amazing. (I have over 8TB of audio, I would love to be able to fit as much as I can on the device without having to deal with hundreds of dollars of SD cards.) No one makes high capacity harddrive mp3 players anymore.
-FM broadcaster.
Would absolutely buy. My current MP3 player is from 2009 and isn’t getting any newer Tongue
Greetings, I am TG127 Smile 
Owner of a Braveheart PinePhone and hopefully some other Pine products soon.
I would absolutely back this and buy one, as long as the audio quality was good enough and it had good physical controls (touchscreens on music players suck).
Rockbox would be the obvious amazing choice of software target.

I see a market for it if the price is under $100-ish, people pay that much for second-hand iPods and flash mod them (which is expensive and not an easy process) in order to get decent players running rockbox. A new device would only have to have very basic things (like fully working USB and support for removable storage) to be able to take that market.
The only problem I see with rockbox is that they never figured out bluetooth. At least that was the case the last time I checked. But that was some time ago and maybe it would be easyer wit some support for specific hardware?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A post about a Pine-64 Wi-Fi ethernet router project board and enclosure? Omnios 1 597 09-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  What about a Pine digital audio player? ClairelyClaire 4 2,406 02-06-2023, 11:17 PM
Last Post: nixcamic
  Article: Auto Flash and Test NuttX on RISC-V BL602 (PineCone) lupyuen 0 1,283 01-24-2022, 05:41 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
Music Suggestion: PINE64 "MP3" Player? unilock 17 14,652 12-27-2021, 01:32 PM
Last Post: feelinggreattoday
  E-Note Device (E-Ink, E-Paper, Project Idea) Sirius 9 9,120 08-18-2021, 08:28 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Would it be possible to have a pine C-64 mini arm computer project board. Omnios 1 3,252 03-27-2020, 06:00 AM
Last Post: pljanson
  PINE music player (with M2 SSDs) mitcoes 3 5,383 12-14-2019, 03:36 AM
Last Post: mitcoes