PB Pro Wireless FAIL
Sad 
I will preface the post with this - I am a wireless engineer and have nearly all of my devices using wireless. My PBpro wireless issues have nothing to do with the network environment.

So I purchased the Pinebook Pro in Nov of last year, receiving it in late Jan. Aside from all the hoops you have to jump through with updates, etc. to get it to a point of being useful, followed by more updates to get the trackpad working correctly, it is now a pretty nice machine.

However, there remains one HUGE problem with it that I have not been able to remedy. The wireless does not work consistently; it always disconnects then appears to connect, yet cannot resolve any domain names, cannot ping, etc. Starting a ping to some site or constantly refreshing the browser eventually gets it connected again, but only for short periods of time. From what I can determine, this device has extremely poor receive sensitivity. There is nearly nowhere in my home where I can go and not get at least around -48dBm RSSI, and yet the PBpro is in the -65 range (still good, but not accurate in my environment) within 10 feet LOS to an AP.

Something else I notice is that when I see a successful reassociation on my controller, it isn't reflected on the PBpro; dmesg shows that it is associated, however I have stop / restart ping or completely refresh my browser to get comms working again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working and to stay working? I have run the updater; I also did find some posts about issues on a WPA2 network (which mine is), but seemed inconclusive.

Any feedback / help will be greatly appreciated. Thx!
(03-26-2020, 08:23 AM)vve1505 Wrote: I will preface the post with this - I am a wireless engineer and have nearly all of my devices using wireless. My PBpro wireless issues have nothing to do with the network environment.

So I purchased the Pinebook Pro in Nov of last year, receiving it in late Jan. Aside from all the hoops you have to jump through with updates, etc. to get it to a point of being useful, followed by more updates to get the trackpad working correctly, it is now a pretty nice machine.

However, there remains one HUGE problem with it that I have not been able to remedy. The wireless does not work consistently; it always disconnects then appears to connect, yet cannot resolve any domain names, cannot ping, etc. Starting a ping to some site or constantly refreshing the browser eventually gets it connected again, but only for short periods of time. From what I can determine, this device has extremely poor receive sensitivity. There is nearly nowhere in my home where I can go and not get at least around -48dBm RSSI, and yet the PBpro is in the -65 range (still good, but not accurate in my environment) within 10 feet LOS to an AP.

Something else I notice is that when I see a successful reassociation on my controller, it isn't reflected on the PBpro; dmesg shows that it is associated, however I have stop / restart ping or completely refresh my browser to get comms working again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working and to stay working? I have run the updater; I also did find some posts about issues on a WPA2 network (which mine is), but seemed inconclusive.

Hello,

Please share the OS and DE Environment you're facing this issue on.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
with network manager you can jump into a tty and use nmcli. that could help isolate issues.

example: nmcli device wifi connect SSID -a
(03-26-2020, 10:32 AM)spikerguy Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 08:23 AM)vve1505 Wrote: I will preface the post with this - I am a wireless engineer and have nearly all of my devices using wireless. My PBpro wireless issues have nothing to do with the network environment.

Hello,

Please share the OS and DE Environment you're facing this issue on.
It's the default Debian setup that came on the PB pro.

(03-26-2020, 10:46 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: with network manager you can jump into a tty and use nmcli. that could help isolate issues.

example: nmcli device wifi connect SSID -a

Thank you for this input - I'll check it out today.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question cannot connect to wireless - Pine64/Manjaro markbesw 0 1,869 12-16-2020, 05:11 PM
Last Post: markbesw
  Pinebook Pro - wireless connection setup help barn 3 6,116 05-29-2020, 07:35 AM
Last Post: tibuka