PBP suddenly wont turn on, first without SD card, now at all
Hi All

My PBP stopped powering on recently whenever the SD card was not in it with an OS to boot from. no reaction to power button at all, short press, long press or anything.

I took the back off, re-seated the eMMC card and tried again - no luck. checked all cables, no damage at all.

I tried the reset and recovery buttons - no reaction.

Now, I cannot power it on even with SD card in - both off and on charger.

Have anyone encountered something like this before ?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, when I put wrong SD card in,, & even with card out
Try a COMPLETE power off, press and hold pwr button, DON'T release, 20+ seconds
let us know, may not work, but costs little
(03-22-2020, 04:50 PM)wdt Wrote: Yes, when I put wrong SD card in,, & even with card out
Try a COMPLETE power off, press and hold pwr button, DON'T release, 20+ seconds
let us know, may not work, but costs little

Sadly no effect at all :-(
if the sdcard was booting that means the emmc uboot partition was working before...

a better approach would have been to reinstall to emmc after booting to sdcard.

if you borked the emmc and the sdcard no longer boots then you probably need an emmc usb adapter or more involved solution.
(03-23-2020, 06:29 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: if the sdcard was booting that means the emmc uboot partition was working before...

a better approach would have been to reinstall to emmc after booting to sdcard.

if you borked the emmc and the sdcard no longer boots then you probably need an emmc usb adapter or more involved solution.

Ive never tried to install to eMMC though, figured I’d break something if I touched it. It still has the stock image on it, I’ve always booted from SD trying out various distros. 

Even if the eMMC is entirely fried, shouldn’t it still be able to turn on and at least tell me there’s no bootable disks or something?
@swulff
>Even if the eMMC is entirely fried, shouldn’t it still be able to turn on and at least tell me there’s no bootable disks or something?
No, no firmware, no bios, all the equivalent is written to nand, emmc or SD
Since you have had back off, try with emmc removed, unplugged
Have you tried hooking up a serial console and see what it tells you...
(03-24-2020, 01:50 PM)sos Wrote: Have you tried hooking up a serial console and see what it tells you...

No, not even sure how I would go about that

(03-24-2020, 09:20 AM)wdt Wrote: @swulff
>Even if the eMMC is entirely fried, shouldn’t it still be able to turn on and at least tell me there’s no bootable disks or something?

Took the back off, removed eMMC and all - no change.. put eMMC back in, no change.

I pressed and held the reset button for a while, now its booting in SD card.. Want to try to write Manjaro to eMMC see does that make a difference

(03-25-2020, 10:23 AM)swulff Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 01:50 PM)sos Wrote: Have you tried hooking up a serial console and see what it tells you...

No, not even sure how I would go about that

(03-24-2020, 09:20 AM)wdt Wrote: @swulff

Took the back off, removed eMMC and all - no change.. put eMMC back in, no change.

I pressed and held the reset button for a while, now its booting in SD card.. Want to try to write Manjaro to eMMC see does that make a difference

Edit: That did the trick.. back up and running.. thanks for the inspiration Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  uboot wont boot to SD card after upgrade jbradley419 7 629 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Cannot boot to Kali SD card after uboot upgrade jbradley419 4 1,068 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinebook Pro won't turn on after flashing image Idaho 2 1,028 02-21-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Idaho
  Cannot Boot From SD Card xp19375 4 2,671 11-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can't boot when SD card inserted 0daysfordays 3 1,681 09-17-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Problem SD card willahughes 1 1,503 03-22-2022, 09:27 AM
Last Post: jiyong
  Pinebook Pro not turn carbo29 11 6,230 03-12-2022, 12:42 PM
Last Post: carbo29
  Kali Linux on SD card boot wils91 5 4,148 03-08-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,723 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  cannot boot SD card : "unable to select a mode" alchemist 0 2,079 06-18-2021, 02:03 AM
Last Post: alchemist