2020-02-20 Plasma Mobile image
So installed it today, executed update and upgrade --available. I didn't test phone related functions yet since I don't think it's really necessary until basic functions are tested/working:

flashlight - not working
pix - crashes during startup
angelfish web browser - doesn't load any page (loads forever)
camera - not working
firefox - pages load but entire UI scales wrong
           - youtube sound worked via speaker
           - the ui looks not to be rendered properly mainly the top bar
           - when I want to enter URL, there's no keyboard popped up

Other things I've noticed so far:
- the battery indicator seems to work better (ok) e.g when compared to ub ports (when I plug out the charger there's also a sound from speaker played)
- disabling wifi (entirely) via Settings -> WiFi networks and reeenabling it again results into situation where I can see available wifi networks, but it just won't connect. (fails with 'The WiFi network could not be found'), trying ifconfig wlan0 up & down didn't help. After the reboot it was able to connect. Maybe it's because it didn't ask for kde password ?

In overall it's pretty slow (compared to ubports/pm phosh)
Is GPU acceleration working/enabled ?

I wanted to attach the screenshots but capturing them via default app resulted into cutting of the screen so their are not usable (see attached example). Also how can I debug further and share the logs with you ?

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot_20200301_121309.png (Size: 366.3 KB / Downloads: 347)
- lock screen - power button - should rather turn off the screen by default (currently display stays active with screensaver for some time) didn't find option to change this behavior
- when the screen is turned off, it reacts to the touch and wakes up
- clicking the battery applet does open general Settings menu
- Settings -> Screen does not open
- Settings -> Information does not fit into screen
- Settings -> Wi fi networks - displays error/warning dialog above the wifi network list, however the message is empty
- Settings -> Language does not fit into screen
- Bluetooth has no menu/button to disable/enable
- Clicking the Location applet does nothing
as mentioned elsewhere, firefox experience gets much better when following is done:
https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Firefox

should we make a sticky thread with list of such official workarounds ?
(03-01-2020, 02:29 PM)p1trson Wrote: as mentioned elsewhere, firefox experience gets much better when following is done:
https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Firefox

should we make a sticky thread with list of such official workarounds ?

Yes, please do - I'll sticky
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Tried upgrading with
Code:
sudo apk update && sudo apk upgrade --available

and, after a reboot, only a blinking cursor appears.

The xsession error file contained only one line: "Error relocating /usr/bin/startplasma-wayland: _ZN22QDBusAbstractInterface6doCallEN5QDBus8CallModeERK7QStringPK8QVariantm: symbol not found".

Also, what is needed to be able to ssh to the device? The IP shows up when connected via USB, but a connection refused error message is the result of the ssh command.
(03-01-2020, 05:38 PM)edge Wrote: The xsession error file contained only one line: "Error relocating /usr/bin/startplasma-wayland: _ZN22QDBusAbstractInterface6doCallEN5QDBus8CallModeERK7QStringPK8QVariantm: symbol not found".

Also, what is needed to be able to ssh to the device? The IP shows up when connected via USB, but a connection refused error message is the result of the ssh command.

I know you said you upgraded, but could you make absolutely sure? ;p That startup error just shouldn't happen with a fully upgraded system.

For ssh, are you sure you connect to the right IP? It works for everyone else.

Code:
ssh <user>@172.16.42.1

(03-01-2020, 06:22 AM)p1trson Wrote: So installed it today, executed update and upgrade --available. I didn't test phone related functions yet since I don't think it's really necessary until basic functions are tested/working:

flashlight - not working
pix - crashes during startup
angelfish web browser - doesn't load any page (loads forever)
camera - not working
firefox - pages load but entire UI scales wrong
           - youtube sound worked via speaker
           - the ui looks not to be rendered properly mainly the top bar
           - when I want to enter URL, there's no keyboard popped up

Other things I've noticed so far:
- the battery indicator seems to work better (ok) e.g when compared to ub ports (when I plug out the charger there's also a sound from speaker played)
- disabling wifi (entirely) via Settings -> WiFi networks and reeenabling it again results into situation where I can see available wifi networks, but it just won't connect. (fails with 'The WiFi network could not be found'), trying ifconfig wlan0 up & down didn't help. After the reboot it was able to connect. Maybe it's because it didn't ask for kde password ?

In overall it's pretty slow (compared to ubports/pm phosh)
Is GPU acceleration working/enabled ?

I wanted to attach the screenshots but capturing them via default app resulted into cutting of the screen so their are not usable (see attached example). Also how can I debug further and share the logs with you ?

(03-01-2020, 08:22 AM)p1trson Wrote: - lock screen - power button - should rather turn off the screen by default (currently display stays active with screensaver for some time) didn't find option to change this behavior
- when the screen is turned off, it reacts to the touch and wakes up
- clicking the battery applet does open general Settings menu
- Settings -> Screen does not open
- Settings -> Information does not fit into screen
- Settings -> Wi fi networks - displays error/warning dialog above the wifi network list, however the message is empty
- Settings -> Language does not fit into screen
- Bluetooth has no menu/button to disable/enable
- Clicking the Location applet does nothing

Flashlight: Plasma Mobile issue, not specific to postmarketOS
Pix: logs plesae
Angelfish: known issue with qt5-qtwebengine on ARM/Lima
Camera: Plasma Mobile issue, not specific to postmarketOS
Wifi: neither a postmarketOS or Plasma Mobile issue, just a buggy wifi driver in the kernel. Work is being done on a better one
GPU acceleration: yes of course it's enabled, performance is a Plasma Mobile issue
Screenshots: Plasma Mobile issue, fix is in the works upstream
Lock screen: Plasma Mobile issue
All Settings things: Plasma Mobile issues. The wifi KCM is fixed already upstream, just needs a new release. Same for text wrapping in the language KCM
Bluetooth: Plasma Mobile issue
Location applet: Plasma Mobile issue
Thanks PureTryOut,

what about the power management ? I guess this is not pmOS related as well. Is it possible from within the OS to cut the power to the modem/disable it completely, just to try out ? Since that's the hottest part.

edit: for Pix, where do I get the logs / how to capture them ?

Cheers
(02-20-2020, 03:13 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: The new Plasma Mobile image for postmarketOS has been released. 

http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone...sma.img.xz

This one contains Plasma 5.18, the 5.5 kernel and a lot of fixes to make modem functionality work. If you already have a postmarketOS installation with Plasma Mobile you can just upgrade to this release:

Code:
$ sudo apk upgrade
... wait for a bit...
$ sudo reboot

Most of these changes were added to the repository today. The extra things added to the image are ofonoctl and the /etc/profile.d/sandboxhack.sh

[Image: 20200220-plasma.jpg]

Didn't work for me.  Trying "sudo apk upgrade just generated 4 errors with a warning after each one.
Network not working, tried updating the APN, it ignored what I typed in the "access point name" block.
I tried re-flashing the card with a new copy of the image and had the same result for the APN update and it wouldn't even let me correct the system date and time.  Any changes I made were ignored.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.
(03-02-2020, 10:16 PM)noeman5 Wrote: Trying "sudo apk upgrade just generated 4 errors with a warning after each one.
Well, what errors? We can't do much if you don't give us details
(03-02-2020, 10:16 PM)noeman5 Wrote:
(02-20-2020, 03:13 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: The new Plasma Mobile image for postmarketOS has been released. 

http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone...sma.img.xz

This one contains Plasma 5.18, the 5.5 kernel and a lot of fixes to make modem functionality work. If you already have a postmarketOS installation with Plasma Mobile you can just upgrade to this release:

Code:
$ sudo apk upgrade
... wait for a bit...
$ sudo reboot

Most of these changes were added to the repository today. The extra things added to the image are ofonoctl and the /etc/profile.d/sandboxhack.sh

[Image: 20200220-plasma.jpg]

Didn't work for me.  Trying "sudo apk upgrade just generated 4 errors with a warning after each one.
Network not working, tried updating the APN, it ignored what I typed in the "access point name" block.
I tried re-flashing the card with a new copy of the image and had the same result for the APN update and it wouldn't even let me correct the system date and time.  Any changes I made were ignored.
Those errors are becuase you're not connected to the internet.
Connect to WiFi, install ofonoctl:
sudo apk add ofonoctl
and the you will be able to use mobile data with this command:
sudo ofonoctl wan --connect --append-dns
Of course, you can also update via wifi.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gnome mobile user641 1 617 01-06-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  NextCloud Gnome Mobile Uturn 4 1,160 12-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Plasma mobile latest stable @pp1.2b voice calling audio issue n05ph3r42 3 780 10-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Question Always Use Mobile Data DingDangDoong 4 1,876 04-20-2023, 06:18 AM
Last Post: DingDangDoong
  PostmarketOS v22.06 Plasma Mobile on PinePhone Pro & No MMS X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,391 11-07-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0
  PostmarketOS v22.06 Plasma Mobile on PinePhone Pro & WiFi Connect to SSID X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,158 11-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Disable mobile data auto-enable on boot 64_Tesseract 3 2,291 08-11-2022, 02:48 AM
Last Post: 64_Tesseract
  [PostmarketOS with Plasma Mobile] Angelfish adblock + wpa supplicant time out Egolep 0 2,011 03-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Egolep
  Where is the original PM OS image for Pinephone? mw4jet 1 2,614 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: ludix
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,681 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8