2020-02-20 Plasma Mobile image
So, first try with pmOS with plasmamobile. Calling worked out of the box :boggled:

As others mentioned, there's some kind of weirdness with SMS, seems to be interface related.

Sound is funny, but under sound settings I switched the speaker to "Internal Earpiece" and it's actually comprehensible! :More boggling:

It actually allowed me to set a timezone. Not the time itself -- I selected set automatically, but it hasn't changed anything in half an hour -- but with the right timezone it's only an hour off. Cool!

What I can't seem to get a handle on is wifi. I have mobile broadband turned on, which should allow me to use the phone as a wifi hotspot? I am fairly confused about how cellular data and wifi relate to each other. Any ideas on what I could try will be much appreciated!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(02-27-2020, 12:05 AM)quixote Wrote: So, first try with pmOS with plasmamobile. Calling worked out of the box :boggled:

As others mentioned, there's some kind of weirdness with SMS, seems to be interface related.

Sound is funny, but under sound settings I switched the speaker to "Internal Earpiece" and it's actually comprehensible!  :More boggling:

It actually allowed me to set a timezone. Not the time itself -- I selected set automatically, but it hasn't changed anything in half an hour -- but with the right timezone it's only an hour off. Cool!

What I can't seem to get a handle on is wifi. I have mobile broadband turned on, which should allow me to use the phone as a wifi hotspot? I am fairly confused about how cellular data and wifi relate to each other. Any ideas on what I could try will be much appreciated!

To set your timezone you need to ln -s your timezone from /usr/share/zoneinfo to /etc/localtime
e. g.
Code:
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Bucharest /etc/localtime
@wibble: make sure you fully upgrade your system using the "--available" switch.

Code:
apk upgrade --available

You seem to be running the old Qt version still but a KWin that has been rebuilt against a newer version.

@sundog: not sure why that happens for you, the issue is KWin not finding a GPU for some reason. Again, make sure your system is fully upgraded using the "--available" switch. Check if Mesa is still instsalled and if this all doesn't work out, try reflashing the image.
(02-27-2020, 03:25 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: @wibble: make sure you fully upgrade your system using the "--available" switch.

Code:
apk upgrade --available

You seem to be running the old Qt version still but a KWin that has been rebuilt against a newer version.

@sundog: not sure why that happens for you, the issue is KWin not finding a GPU for some reason. Again, make sure your system is fully upgraded using the "--available" switch. Check if Mesa is still instsalled and if this all doesn't work out, try reflashing the image.

Fully upgrading using the "--available" switch was what got it into that state in the first place, with no errors that I spotted. I need to get more familiar with pmbootstrap anyway, so may as well start again with that.
(02-27-2020, 05:49 AM)wibble Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 03:25 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: @wibble: make sure you fully upgrade your system using the "--available" switch.

Code:
apk upgrade --available

Fully upgrading using the "--available" switch was what got it into that state in the first place, with no errors that I spotted. I need to get more familiar with pmbootstrap anyway, so may as well start again with that.

I also used the available switch to end up in this state. Guess I will check back on this project in a couple weeks.
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)
(02-27-2020, 01:06 AM)afigegoznaet Wrote: To set your timezone you need to ln -s your timezone from /usr/share/timezone to /etc/localtime
e. g.
Code:
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Bucharest /etc/localtime

Thanks for that! It's a small thing, but having the wrong time popping out at you is oddly annoying.  Wink

Edited to add: on my system it was /usr/share/zoneinfo/ that contained the timezones. And it wouldn't let me make the link until I deleted the existing /etc/localtime (which iirr is the standard behavior, but I'd forgotten that).

then I could set my time using
Code:
sudo date -s 'YYYY-MO-DD HH:MM'

and I'm a happy camper! Big Grin
Should the mic / audio out be working OOTB during calls now? Incoming audio works fine but the other end only hears a quiet low quality echo of themselves. Messing in alsamixer I've also managed to hear an echo of myself during calls but I've had no luck getting the other end to hear me.
Still not having any luck getting my hotspot working. I turned on mobile broadband, entered the data it wants, but when I go to wifi settings, the pinephone doesn't show up in the list.

Is there something else I need to do? I'm befuddled about the relationships of cellular data and wifi.

My data connection is via my phone. I don't have a regular broadband ISP. On my other phone, I turn on cellular data, then I turn on hotspot, and that phone shows up as a wifi point other devices (my laptop) can access.

All the pins to control access in hardware are in "On" position.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something that is just one big "D'Oh!"
Currently making a hotspot on Plasma Mobile is not yet supported.

@Huitsi, yes it should.
(02-28-2020, 04:15 AM)PureTryOut Wrote: Currently making a hotspot on Plasma Mobile is not yet supported.
Interesting times! Big Grin   Is this the same problem with all the distros? I've been trying Ubports and pmos-Phosh as well. And Manjaro, but quite a few things don't work yet there, so that probably includes hotspot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gnome mobile user641 1 478 01-06-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  NextCloud Gnome Mobile Uturn 4 1,017 12-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Plasma mobile latest stable @pp1.2b voice calling audio issue n05ph3r42 3 683 10-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Question Always Use Mobile Data DingDangDoong 4 1,740 04-20-2023, 06:18 AM
Last Post: DingDangDoong
  PostmarketOS v22.06 Plasma Mobile on PinePhone Pro & No MMS X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,314 11-07-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0
  PostmarketOS v22.06 Plasma Mobile on PinePhone Pro & WiFi Connect to SSID X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,088 11-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Disable mobile data auto-enable on boot 64_Tesseract 3 2,182 08-11-2022, 02:48 AM
Last Post: 64_Tesseract
  [PostmarketOS with Plasma Mobile] Angelfish adblock + wpa supplicant time out Egolep 0 1,964 03-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Egolep
  Where is the original PM OS image for Pinephone? mw4jet 1 2,553 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: ludix
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,513 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8