does anyone have hotspot working?
When I use the GUI to start hotspot, it kills wifi. The laptop (running Debian 10, kde) sees the phone and connects. But nothing sees the web since there's no wifi.

(Not sure what it's using to see the phone in the list of possible connections!)

If you have got it working, a command-by-command summary would be perfect!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
Isn't the point of a hotspot to kill Wifi and instead offer your cellular data connection to others over Wifi?
I guess you'd actually need two Wifi chips to have an active WIfi connection and a hotspot open.
I did not try this yet, would be an intresting feature. Not sure the wifi adapter is capable, will find out later.
Um, I take it I can just put a big redface icon in my sig and be done, right? BlushBlushBlush (Nowhere near red enough, that's why multiples.)

So the problem  with not seeing the web is that the *modem* isn't really working, while the wifi is fine?

(I'm a biologist who never really "got" networking of any kind, so bear with me here.)

So what is my actual question?

The internet connection is via mobile phone plans. This is the situation:
  • one SIM in an iphone (which I soon hope never to use again Big Grin ) which works in the sense of providing the laptop with internet access
  • one SIM in my pinephone which was working for sms and browsing on the phone.
  • The pinephone shows up in the laptop's list of network connections, and it connects and shows data going between phone and laptop. But nothing on the laptop can actually see the internet.
So it would seem that the mobile data connection is functional since it works on the pinephone itself. There's also some kind of connection being established between pinephone and laptop that's visible in networkmanager. (I'm on Debian 10 with kde.)

What's the roadmap to get the pinephone to actually provide internet access to the laptop?
I think you need to bridge the devices or so.

I did that with a Raspberry PI once, maybe you can find the answer here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...s-point.md

Do you want to make a tutorial on this once you get it working?

Success!
(02-19-2020, 04:11 PM)PinePhoneCoder Wrote: Do you want to make a tutorial on this once you get it working?

IF I get it working, I'll be glad to Big Grin
Thank you, if you not get it working share then the steps you did, so I can continue from there.

You can do this!! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nextcloud Account setup not working kelbot 3 6,511 04-21-2021, 11:25 AM
Last Post: lsitongia
  UBPorts Not Working Pinoideae 7 9,313 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  If you're ready to tinker - here is how to get the more features working right now Luke 17 32,122 01-09-2021, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Pinephone 3G Bluetooth Working Pretty Well With Latest Mobian Updates rmcg 0 2,423 09-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Last Post: rmcg
Question Camera(s) not working? UNi 9 13,398 09-06-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Cree
  File transfer mode no longer working? Zweitaktmotor 0 2,036 08-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Zweitaktmotor
  Whats good and working: latest build. Cree 7 9,465 07-31-2020, 10:55 AM
Last Post: klick
  GPS working! But..... Cree 1 2,991 07-31-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Cree
  Cellular switch (sw1) causes wifi to stop working blihp 4 5,952 07-21-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: blihp
  How to get a camera working? lindertb 3 5,865 05-24-2020, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Engineer