Case defect (crack)
It wasn't through the website; I contacted their sales team directly via email to ask if I could buy a replacement, and they obliged. It was US$30, plus shipping, for both halves of the lower case together. That included a keyboard and trackpad. I assume it's not ready for mass ordering yet, since it's not on the store page. I got the impression that they happened to have one in stock because more cases have been manufactured so far than mainboards. If it's just the keyboard layout that's a problem, you can set the keyboard layout to ANSI in software and get a very ANSI-like experience; main exception being backslash's new home next to the quote key.

I didn't ask them for any sort of replacement-under-warranty because my crack was definitely my fault. The corner screws near the hinge are, in fact, extremely critical to the structural integrity of the hinge. (The wiki's stern warning is, if anything, not stern enough.) By leaving one out, I put tremendous stress on that part of the case every time I moved the lid.

Disassembly and installation wasn't too difficult, but wasn't simple either: disconnect and unscrew until there's nothing left attached to the case, then do everything in reverse. Not for the faint of heart, but if you have a keen eye, a steady hand, and a small Philips screwdriver, you have what you need to do it.
This is my case crack, at the bottom sides of display

[Image: 4e87c56723824a5466e5db414abf68ab.jpg][Image: dfba6a8f8f86488891583e3fdf9d7c85.jpg]

.jpg   IMG_20200324_143719.jpg (Size: 145.28 KB / Downloads: 338)

Add me to the list of cracked PBPs.  Mine cracked with relatively little stress.  

Are cases/keyboards available for sale?  Depending on prices, I'd be interested in buying a new case and switching to ANSI.

Also, is this only a problem with the initial batches, or is it an ongoing problem?
according to the last update the ansi+ shells had a different composition.
(03-14-2020, 01:01 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote: It wasn't through the website; I contacted their sales team directly via email to ask if I could buy a replacement, and they obliged. It was US$30, plus shipping, for both halves of the lower case together. That included a keyboard and trackpad. I assume it's not ready for mass ordering yet, since it's not on the store page. I got the impression that they happened to have one in stock because more cases have been manufactured so far than mainboards. If it's just the keyboard layout that's a problem, you can set the keyboard layout to ANSI in software and get a very ANSI-like experience; main exception being backslash's new home next to the quote key.

I didn't ask them for any sort of replacement-under-warranty because my crack was definitely my fault. The corner screws near the hinge are, in fact, extremely critical to the structural integrity of the hinge. (The wiki's stern warning is, if anything, not stern enough.) By leaving one out, I put tremendous stress on that part of the case every time I moved the lid.

Disassembly and installation wasn't too difficult, but wasn't simple either: disconnect and unscrew until there's nothing left attached to the case, then do everything in reverse. Not for the faint of heart, but if you have a keen eye, a steady hand, and a small Philips screwdriver, you have what you need to do it.
Does the replacement include the metal band that wraps around the ports on the Pinebook Pro? I have cracks there because I forgot to put spacers back in...
(02-19-2020, 12:46 AM)hdk Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 03:11 PM)bigCamel Wrote: I'm one of the lucky first batch Pinebook Pro owners and I very much enjoy using it. Mid December I noticed my device suffered the minor case damage around the USB ports discussed here. Today I noticed a more severe damage around the left display hinge. It looks very similar to the defects described in this thread (1st gen Pinebook).

I'm almost exclusively using my PBP at home and I'm handling it with care. I'm afraid the Pinebook Pro might not be as durable as I'd hoped it would be. Now I'm wondering if my device is the only one affected, or if its limited to a few devices, or if it's a more general issue. Is there any other Pinebook Pro owners with cracked cases? 

In the aforementioned thread a repair with CA or epoxy was suggested. Any other advice? 

@Luke Does Pine64 have spare parts available?

I felt the hinges were to tight and getting more tight. Until the hinges started to make a cracking noise.
I have put a small drop of oil (I use for skeelers) on the metal part you can see in the hinge.
It prevents the hinge from breaking; the Pinebookpro is closing smoothly and makes no more noise.
What type/brand of oil did you use exactly? My Pinebook Pro seems to be having a similar problem. Thanks!
From a small plastic bottle, it only states "silicone oil", nothing else. Years ago came with the skeelers.
It needs a few days to penetrate.
(04-16-2020, 12:44 PM)TDC_PBP Wrote: Does the replacement include the metal band that wraps around the ports on the Pinebook Pro? I have cracks there because I forgot to put spacers back in...

I don't recall. Sorry.
hi, I own number #39 128G easily model may be the first dispatch.  The plastic creaks and moans every time I use this laptop.  Actual physical cracks exist seen over the last 5 months or so. Cracks exist on all four counters of the screen perimeter bezels.  I did, however, fix most of the creak issues by taking off the bottom cover for eMMC maintenance e.g. reflash via USB adapter.  Snugged the screws up a little more and now the sounds mostly disappear.  I will try silicone lube next to see if all is good.
Ne quid nimis

Perhaps a drop of oil on the hinges may re-leave some of the stress seen on other parts of the PBP....?

but then hopefully the hinges will not get too loose and the screen flop around ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggested software for use case ehcorn 4 1,932 08-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Screws on bottom case coming loose quadrantids 8 7,082 01-20-2021, 03:47 AM
Last Post: quadrantids
  Pinebook Pro Case models sundog 2 2,764 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: sundog
  Minor case damage with gentle use. (Is anyone else seeing this?) hikaricore 31 34,648 10-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: hikaricore
  Got a case for my Pinebook Pro GhostDragon 3 4,110 09-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bastafari
  Case upgrade for my PBP robt 2 3,772 08-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Damon
Photo No case logo? No problem! ALBNC1974 6 7,413 06-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64