Case defect (crack)
I'm one of the lucky first batch Pinebook Pro owners and I very much enjoy using it. Mid December I noticed my device suffered the minor case damage around the USB ports discussed here. Today I noticed a more severe damage around the left display hinge. It looks very similar to the defects described in this thread (1st gen Pinebook).

.jpeg   crack top.jpeg (Size: 50.45 KB / Downloads: 619)
.jpeg   crack side.jpeg (Size: 41.24 KB / Downloads: 601)

I'm almost exclusively using my PBP at home and I'm handling it with care. I'm afraid the Pinebook Pro might not be as durable as I'd hoped it would be. Now I'm wondering if my device is the only one affected, or if its limited to a few devices, or if it's a more general issue. Is there any other Pinebook Pro owners with cracked cases? 

In the aforementioned thread a repair with CA or epoxy was suggested. Any other advice? 

@Luke Does Pine64 have spare parts available?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?u...source=app

Post showing others with similar issues.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Spiceworks Community: That_IT_Guy
Twitter: @myhelpdeskhell
A few minutes ago, an eerily similar crack appeared in mine, but on the right side rather than the left. When it cracked, it also shed the screw in that corner. I'm fairly sure that mine happened due to stress on the case from me losing the center-left screw about a week ago. (I've been meaning to ask what kind of screw that is so I could obtain a replacement, but my health has been very poor this last week and I haven't had the energy to do it.)
(02-18-2020, 03:11 PM)bigCamel Wrote: I'm one of the lucky first batch Pinebook Pro owners and I very much enjoy using it. Mid December I noticed my device suffered the minor case damage around the USB ports discussed here. Today I noticed a more severe damage around the left display hinge. It looks very similar to the defects described in this thread (1st gen Pinebook).

I'm almost exclusively using my PBP at home and I'm handling it with care. I'm afraid the Pinebook Pro might not be as durable as I'd hoped it would be. Now I'm wondering if my device is the only one affected, or if its limited to a few devices, or if it's a more general issue. Is there any other Pinebook Pro owners with cracked cases? 

In the aforementioned thread a repair with CA or epoxy was suggested. Any other advice? 

@Luke Does Pine64 have spare parts available?

I felt the hinges were to tight and getting more tight. Until the hinges started to make a cracking noise.
I have put a small drop of oil (I use for skeelers) on the metal part you can see in the hinge.
It prevents the hinge from breaking; the Pinebookpro is closing smoothly and makes no more noise.
I saw the same cracking on the top left of my first gen Palm rest too.
Had my PBP since January. I did get a crack in the case, but so far it is nothing to do with hinges but instead in the left bottom corner of the right USB port, where the material is very thin yet can be stressed by the USB connector.
btw... would be nice to get an idea when replacement keyboards are available....i am too used to ansi

in case anybody wants to trade my iso (no cracks ,lol)
I contacted sales@pine64.org asking to purchase a replacement lower case assembly. They obliged, and I was able to switch from an ISO keyboard to an ANSI keyboard in the process. So far the new case has been holding up fine. (My lesson learned: don't lose screws.)

Edit: If you do this sort of swap, be prepared to flash a new keyboard firmware. The keyboard controller firmware is on the main board, and the ISO firmware does not work with the ANSI keyboard or vice versa. You'll need SSH access or an external keyboard.
(03-13-2020, 01:56 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote: I contacted sales@pine64.org asking to purchase a replacement lower case assembly. They obliged, and I was able to switch from an ISO keyboard to an ANSI keyboard in the process. So far the new case has been holding up fine. (My lesson learned: don't lose screws.)

Edit: If you do this sort of swap, be prepared to flash a new keyboard firmware. The keyboard controller firmware is on the main board, and the ISO firmware does not work with the ANSI keyboard or vice versa. You'll need SSH access or an external keyboard.
What was that cost. And how difficult was the install?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Spiceworks Community: That_IT_Guy
Twitter: @myhelpdeskhell
(03-13-2020, 01:56 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote: I contacted sales@pine64.org asking to purchase a replacement lower case assembly. They obliged, and I was able to switch from an ISO keyboard to an ANSI keyboard in the process. So far the new case has been holding up fine. (My lesson learned: don't lose screws.)

Huh?   Confused i don't see any replacement keyboards on their webside ,is it something with warranty that you got a replacement ...now with the covid hold ...and $ how much ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggested software for use case ehcorn 4 1,932 08-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Screws on bottom case coming loose quadrantids 8 7,083 01-20-2021, 03:47 AM
Last Post: quadrantids
  Pinebook Pro Case models sundog 2 2,764 11-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: sundog
  Minor case damage with gentle use. (Is anyone else seeing this?) hikaricore 31 34,648 10-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: hikaricore
  Got a case for my Pinebook Pro GhostDragon 3 4,110 09-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bastafari
  Case upgrade for my PBP robt 2 3,772 08-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Damon
Photo No case logo? No problem! ALBNC1974 6 7,413 06-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64