New Phosh image - first impressions
I know, everybody had that, which is why the "--available" argument was needed. I'm still not sure how this is all relevant to Phosh.
This is starting to look really good.

Phone calls works by just running ofonoctl and nothing else for me.

The problems I see is that I can't connect my Bluetooth headphones and that Chats won't connect to my XMPP server. Also, does the chat/SMS app support OMEMO?
(02-25-2020, 01:50 PM)qrsBRWN Wrote: The problems I see is that I can't connect my Bluetooth headphones and that Chats won't connect to my XMPP server. Also, does the chat/SMS app support OMEMO?
Did you start the Bluetooth service?
sudo service bluetooth start
then bluetoothctl has a controller but I get org.bluez.Error.NotReady when I try scan on.

chats I really struggle with, even to reliably send receive SMS. I too hope for a version that will support jabber: so far I can add my account but no way can I activate it.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-25-2020, 03:19 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 01:50 PM)qrsBRWN Wrote: The problems I see is that I can't connect my Bluetooth headphones and that Chats won't connect to my XMPP server. Also, does the chat/SMS app support OMEMO?
Did you start the Bluetooth service?
sudo service bluetooth start
then bluetoothctl has a controller but I get org.bluez.Error.NotReady when I try scan on.

chats I really struggle with, even to reliably send receive SMS. I too hope for a version that will support jabber: so far I can add my account but no way can I activate it.

I started the service but found my mistake. I was using the settings app instead of the command line Big Grin
so with the latest phosh, my first impressions are: i didn't install a sim card for this yet. i turned it on, it screeched a high pitched tone for a few seconds. but phosh is running

i did factory test before and the only problem was lack of sim card and wifi connection. so i set up wifi and it seems to be connected but extremely slow, and every address i type (fsf.org, google.com, startpage.com, etc) gets routed through duckduckgo, which gives me an "oops! something went wrong while displaying this page. please reload or visit a different page to continue." you have to type HTTPS:// first, then it will load. So i think there's just a problem with duckduckgo and my being spoiled by HTTPS everywhere. so i'll just get firefox. EDIT: using Firefox showed me that it's the default browser that is reallyyyy buggy  

screen resolution is incorrect, leaving some windows inaccessible, but i can close them easily from the menu. EDIT: actually this is a problem specific to the applications themselves like firefox, libreoffice, and coreapps. They aren't sized correctly and they aren't responsive to the touch interface (you can only highlight text), also the keyboard is incorrectly mapped and somewhat unresponsive when it talks to these apps.

hitting the settings app takes me directly to wifi settings and i'm not sure if that is intentional for convenience, but ok.

having additional language and keyboard options at some point besides english and qwerty would be good.

camera doesn't seem to work with the cheese app. ("no device found")

the sound works, kinda. speaker test produces no sound no matter what setting. but at the bottom of those settings you can test the sound by selecting an Alert Sound. i noticed that the speaker makes funny white noise for a few seconds after any time speakers are activated with an Alert Sound. probably need to be configured?  

the battery level in settings says i'm at 35% right now, but the status bar displays the battery at above 50%.

the rest looks good. it's great that i can run the whole os off an sd card which means i can swap os's all i want i think. and i can remove the sd card to remove all the data. i love having a linux computer in the palm of my hand.

that's just oob. i'm gonna configure the device now.

Edit: This guy does a good review and has a better grasp of the current issues I mentioned.
Review of several OS's puts phosh and ubuntu at the top (Manjaro wasn't tried): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg4GchfTPx0
Review of pmOS with phosh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c32-QOrI4cw

UPDATE: amixer and alsamixer configuration helped me verify that the sound is correctly working, (and I unmuted everything even though it was already unmuted bc I'm paranoid) I turned the volume down to 90% and I think the screeching is gone. Doing a speaker test after lowering the volume resulted in an almost inaudible sound, but after a reboot the speaker test makes the normal loud white noise and volume remains at 90%. (I chose 90% because that's just below the red zone.) I still get weird extremely high pitched noises coming from the phone sometimes, but it's not as unpleasant at a lower volume.

I can at least SSH into things and that's gonna be necessary to configure the modem for phone calls etc, because you can't use nano on the phone due to lacking keyboard CTRL key, and you can't copy text off the browser. Terminal mode in keyboard really needs that CTRL key. I'm not able to kill a process without CTRL+C so I have to close the whole terminal.

I think phosh is the best user interface besides gnome. I'd like to try the debian+phosh combination, https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9016 and I'm really interested in the Manjaro line and NixOS, as well as testing out Gnome 3 on pmOS. Calls and texts absolutely must work, which in pmOS+phosh they mostly do so I will configure that. Beyond that it seems there isn't much else I can do. Unless someone has some very good configuration options to recommend, and I will search to see if maybe there are some X server settings we can use... My feeling about pmOS is that it's a good sign that it is very stable already but having to repackage everything rather than taking advantage of the existing ones for like, debian-arm, is too much maintenance work. I would prefer to rely on mainstream distros like debian and arch. Yet I like that it works with APKs, and that could mean packages for F-Droid and Signal are on the horizon. Never mind, pmOS apks have nothing to do with and are not compatible with Android apks
*.*.* PinePhone BraveHeart edition w/ distro: Debian + Phosh // GuixOS, Debian, Arch // pocket linux enthusiast // washed up sysadmin *.*.*
Just upgraded today (20-03-03) pmos with Phosh with the command below :
Code:
apk update && apk upgrade --available

Here are some feedbacks :
  • I see the 4G logo and I am able to make a call and send sms but I don't have any internet connection with mobile broadband (wifi works). When I run ofonoctl poweron or online I get : Could not aquire org.ofono.Manager on dbus. Maybe I missed something ?
  • Sound call works after installing pavucontrol and apply this setting (thanks ducla2000) :  
Output Device -> Internal Earpiece 
Input Device -> Internal Microphone
Configuration -> make a phone call

The sound is still very bad in reception. Seems like a very low resolution. 
  • The usb connection is very unstable
  • I am not able to use cameras. Cheese complains about "No device found"
Apart from these issues I really appreciate Phosh UI and I find it very reactive.
(03-03-2020, 03:20 PM)petrus Wrote: Just upgraded today (20-03-03) pmos with Phosh with the command below :

I am also just catching up with all the progress after a week out of circulation.

You no longer need to do any ofonoctl - it is all built in now I discovered. So to get mobile data working go to Settings, Network and configure your provider. (You may find swapping between portrait & landscape helps see all of the Network screens as they do not scale properly. Fortunately in many cases hitting return when NOT able to see the options seems to work just fine selecting appropriate defaults for me!)

There is still a glitch somewhere around mobile data that I haven't had the time to completely define: along the lines of, if you disable wifi in settings then phosh seems to be activating Airplane mode and disabling mobile data as well. Also I am not sure how sticky the mobile data config is, so far I have had to reactivate after each boot.

So far I am only using the USB for network/SSH and that is stable, but can imagine all the other bits are problematic. As per megi's website seems current config is 12Mb/s so need to wait for more progress there.

PS - telegram working fine for me now Big Grin . Still struggling to get blabber config in chats but definite progress
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
(03-04-2020, 03:13 AM)dukla2000 Wrote: You no longer need to do any ofonoctl - it is all built in now I discovered. So to get mobile data working go to Settings, Network and configure your provider. (You may find swapping between portrait & landscape helps see all of the Network screens as they do not scale properly. Fortunately in many cases hitting return when NOT able to see the options seems to work just fine selecting appropriate defaults for me!)

Unfortunately I need to change default settings in Settings>Network. Because the application doesn't scale properly it is impossible for now (I cannot reach some buttons/options and don't see what I am doing). I could set it in console mode but don't know how to proceed. If someone has an idea...
I've been trying to apk update && apk upgrade, but all I get is:

"temporary Error. Try again later"

Is anybody else getting this? Is there really that much congestion on the server? Or am I doing something wrong?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(03-06-2020, 01:02 AM)quixote Wrote: I've been trying to apk update && apk upgrade, but all I get is:

"temporary Error. Try again later"

Is anybody else getting this? Is there really that much congestion on the server? Or am I doing something wrong?

I am OK - presume you prefix a sudo?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fresh install pmos+phosh does not boot user641 1 429 10-08-2023, 04:04 AM
Last Post: user641
  [Not Pinephone] Phosh Autologin LienRag 11 1,843 09-01-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,237 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  How to delete single sms in phosh? bircoph 1 1,291 07-06-2022, 08:10 AM
Last Post: bircoph
  no screen rotation on pinephone pro with postmarketOS + phosh elode 2 2,577 07-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Last Post: a.h.littorin
  closing apps rather than leaving them running (phosh) lordearl 7 5,965 02-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: parry
  Application list PMOS-Phosh jmorris 6 5,930 12-04-2021, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Juergen
  Phosh beta 10, no send button on Chatty? Rainer 0 1,583 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Rainer
  Where is the original PM OS image for Pinephone? mw4jet 1 2,555 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: ludix
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,516 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8