Touchscreen
My pinephone arrived today but as far as I can tell the touchscreen is not working.  It boots to the factory test screen but none of the buttons respond to my taps.  I don't have a large enough microSD card here at work to try another OS, but I'm assuming if it doesn't work with the test image, I won't have much luck with anything else either.

(02-11-2020, 12:59 PM)ksbex Wrote: My pinephone arrived today but as far as I can tell the touchscreen is not working.  It boots to the factory test screen but none of the buttons respond to my taps.  I don't have a large enough microSD card here at work to try another OS, but I'm assuming if it doesn't work with the test image, I won't have much luck with anything else either.

The screw closest to the camera also just fell out when I had the back off.  I tried to screw it back in but either it isn't catching or the threads are stripped.  I'm assuming something didn't go together quite right.  I'm comfortable taking it apart and poking around but I don't want to void my warranty if it is truly defective.
I had exactly the same problem with the tough screen. It doesn't react, so I can't proceed the factory tests and inslalling OS.
(02-11-2020, 02:35 PM)Pinephonepassion18 Wrote: I had exactly the same problem with the tough screen. It doesn't react, so I can't proceed the factory tests and inslalling OS.

Someone on reddit reported fixing the issue by correctly attaching the back cover of the phone.  Mine is on fine, but it makes me suspect it is just a bad connection somewhere.  I'm going to take it apart tonight and see what I can find.
Well I took the back case off, hopefully not screwing myself on my warranty.  There is a small sticker over one of the screws to indicate it has been opened up.  I reseated the easy connectors.  I've taken quite a few laptops and phones apart but I had trouble with some of the smaller ribbon cable connectors and so I didn't want to force them until I knew exactly how to properly release them.  As a result I couldn't completely disassemble it but nothing is obviously amiss.

I'm still puzzled by the screw by the camera.  It screws in fine if I go directly into the PCB, but it just seems to be simply too short to reach the threads when the case is on.  For now, just so I don't lose it, I screwed it into the PCB before putting the case back on.  I guess I'll open a ticket and see what they say.  I'd prefer to fix it myself than send it back, if they would even accept it at this point.

It's really a bummer to have a non-functioning phone after the wait. Apart from my issues it seems to be a really nice device and I'm super excited to start messing with it.
I opened a support ticket and they pretty much just sent me to the forums and IRC. So... I guess I've got a paperweight.
I watched the prototype assembly video and was able to see how the smaller ribbon cable connectors work, so I was able to completely remove the PCB and reconnect everything.  I reseated the touch panel cable in particular multiple times but it still doesn't respond to anything.  With the PCB out I was able to see that the threads for the screw that fell out are stripped near the top of the hole, so that's why it can't screw in with the case but will screw into the PCB directly.  Not a big deal, and doesn't seem to be related to the touch screen at all.

I also tried ubuntu touch just to see if somehow it was a software issue.  Ubuntu boots to the language selection screen and I can see the volume up/down register but still no luck on the touchscreen. 

Prototype Assembly Video
The touch screen is managed by a small ribbon cable (red arrow) that is plugged into a small connecor (red circled).
See the attached picture.

Attached Files
.png   Annotation 2020-02-12 230723.png (Size: 349.94 KB / Downloads: 302)
(02-12-2020, 04:08 PM)drpi Wrote: The touch screen is managed by a small ribbon cable (red arrow) that is plugged into a small connecor (red circled).

Yes, thanks I found that by watching the video that I linked.  As I mentioned in my post I reseated the connector several times with no effect.
(02-12-2020, 08:08 PM)ksbex Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 04:08 PM)drpi Wrote: The touch screen is managed by a small ribbon cable (red arrow) that is plugged into a small connecor (red circled).

Yes, thanks I found that by watching the video that I linked.  As I mentioned in my post I reseated the connector several times with no effect.

Have you checked the solder joints of the connector with a magnifier ?
Quote:Have you checked the solder joints of the connector with a magnifier ?

I looked pretty closely with my unaided eyes but I suppose that is a good idea.  Maybe there are some bridged traces.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Power after install new emmc and front touchscreen chadwick 5 4,223 09-19-2021, 10:43 PM
Last Post: bcnaz