How to open the phone?
Second most stupid question at all (just to leave some space to the ceiling):

How the hack can I open the phone to access SIM card slot/SD card slot/battery?

Are there somewhere some "manuals" or whatsoever for this?
There is a gap at the bottom right of the phone, where you can place your nail to separate the phone from the rear case.
* PinePhone BraveHeart Edition
(02-04-2020, 05:48 AM)Gobelin Wrote: There is a gap at the bottom right of the phone, where you can place your nail to separate the phone from the rear case.

uh is there anything else I need to take care of before that? It seems like an extremely tight fit, almost seems glued, and I don't want to damage the screen by trying to opening it too forcefully with that small notch. (and because I don't have tools to do this more gently)
there is no glue on mine. Once it is slightly open, I pass my nail all around the case in the gap.
TLlim stated : "simply peel off the rear cover using your thumb nail"
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
managed to do it now, I was thinking I could try to push against the display part too because it is easier to hold the back and push there, but it seems like just holding it loosely and applying force against the back without holding the phone really worked well.
(02-04-2020, 05:48 AM)Gobelin Wrote: There is a gap at the bottom right of the phone, where you can place your nail to separate the phone from the rear case.

Thanks, that's it.

But how did you know that there ist that magic gap, if your PinePhone is still on order? Wink
(02-05-2020, 09:02 AM)jgorres Wrote:

Thanks, that's it.

But how did you know that there ist that magic gap, if your PinePhone is still on order? Wink

Lucky me, I already got my pinephone Brave Heart edition. Big Grin
Edit 5 min later: Well, a knife point worked to get the gap started. Then I used my nail. Still *very* tight and took a lot of coaxing. I think people will need a heads-up to expect this when the general-user-version goes out.

Can't get the gap to open on mine *at all*. All I have is my fingernail, which doesn't seem to be strong enough for the job!

This means I can't get an sd card in and I'm dead in the water with my lovely Braveheart.

Help!  What else can I try? Are there special tools to safely pry these apart? A really thin knife to try it unsafely?

I used to have a Nokia 900 which worked much the same way, but that one started releasing the little "catches" on the inside of the case as soonb as you got your fingernail in the gap.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(02-11-2020, 01:47 PM)quixote Wrote: Help!  What else can I try? Are there special tools to safely pry these apart? A really thin knife to try it unsafely?

There is a tool for this sort of thing, called a "spudger". I suggest a vinyl one (not metal). They are typically very inexpensive.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone powers off with high user demands car46999 7 509 04-11-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 667 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,723 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 1,037 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,161 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,114 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,565 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,658 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  PPKB with phone; phone dies while charging SwordfishII 1 1,362 06-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  PWM whine near earpiece in low signal phone call and loud sound sent to the other end vortex 29 26,294 01-14-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: eugenr