Configuring wake-up from suspend?
Does anyone know if there's a way to configure the wake-up conditions for the PBP when in suspend mode?

I'm using the PBP with the default Debian MATE, and I'll often pull my PBP out of the laptop bag only to discover that it's on and the case is quite warm. I'm not sure if this wake-up is triggered by loss of DC power (when I unplug and grab it off my desk earlier) or some sort of magnetic relay that's being tripped by an adjacent device, but I want to disable it. Ideally, the only thing that should turn the PBP on is a tap of the power button.

Debian MATE has software options in the power applet for configuring when it goes to sleep, but nothing for when it should wake up. I'm hoping there's some way to configure this in software? Anyone?
(01-29-2020, 09:22 PM)sirspate Wrote: Does anyone know if there's a way to configure the wake-up conditions for the PBP when in suspend mode?

I'm using the PBP with the default Debian MATE, and I'll often pull my PBP out of the laptop bag only to discover that it's on and the case is quite warm. I'm not sure if this wake-up is triggered by loss of DC power (when I unplug and grab it off my desk earlier) or some sort of magnetic relay that's being tripped by an adjacent device, but I want to disable it. Ideally, the only thing that should turn the PBP on is a tap of the power button.

Debian MATE has software options in the power applet for configuring when it goes to sleep, but nothing for when it should wake up. I'm hoping there's some way to configure this in software? Anyone?

I've noticed the same.  For me plugging in the power adapter triggers a wake. I haven't spent much time troubleshooting so unfortunately I can't provide a solution, but can confirm I see the same.  Also on the default Debian Mate image.
For me, suspend works only if plugged into power.  Unplugging the power cord wakes it up, even if the lid is still closed.

Running on battery, if I press the power button and click on "Suspend" the power LED remains green and flickers a little, presumably indicating disk access.

Running on a power adapter, the power LED turns red when I click on "Suspend".

The default Debian MATE OS thinks the battery is always being charged and never recognizes that it's discharging (i.e. running on battery).  Could that be part of the problem?
(01-30-2020, 03:40 PM)logicprobe Wrote: For me, suspend works only if plugged into power.  Unplugging the power cord wakes it up, even if the lid is still closed.

Running on battery, if I press the power button and click on "Suspend" the power LED remains green and flickers a little, presumably indicating disk access.

Running on a power adapter, the power LED turns red when I click on "Suspend".

The default Debian MATE OS thinks the battery is always being charged and never recognizes that it's discharging (i.e. running on battery).  Could that be part of the problem?

I don't have these problems. I can get into suspend when charging or when on battery, and the battery discharging vs charging status is recognized correctly. (I've updated to the latest kernel, etc, using the update script, so if you haven't, maybe give that a try?) I think I had it happen once where I tried to put it in suspend and it didn't; I retried and it immediately went into suspend, so I figured it was a fluke.

I have a separate issue where the system sometimes locks up while coming out of suspend. (Happens ~20% of the time?) I presume that's a separate software issue, though, and it's not really applicable to my main question.

All I really care about at the moment is being able to configure what wake-up events turn on the system, so I can avoid this issue where the laptop wakes up even though it's closed, and then wastes all its power heating my bag.
So after using the PBP a bit more, I think I've figured out what's going on. It's not that the PBP is randomly turning on while in my bag---it's just that it turns on when I disconnect from power, even if the lid is closed. If it's absolutely necessary for the PBP to come out of suspend when the DC power is disconnected, then it'd be nice if it immediately checked the lid status, and if it's closed, immediately went back to sleep. As it is, I'm doing a really weird dance whenever I unplug from power, where I then open the lid and close it again to make sure it's actually been suspended.
My newish x64 desktop had issues with the mouse and keyboard waking it up. I eventually figured it out. I had to disable the USB sources for wakeup just before sleeping / hibernating. See below. I tried to find a similar setting in my Pinebook Pro's default Debian but could not.
Code:
> cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device S-state  Status   Sysfs node
GPP0  S4 *disabled  pci:0000:00:01.1
GPP2  S4 *enabled   pci:0000:00:01.3
GPP3  S4 *disabled
GPP4  S4 *disabled
GPP5  S4 *disabled
GPP6  S4 *enabled   pci:0000:00:01.7
GP17  S4 *enabled   pci:0000:00:08.1
XHC0  S4 *enabled   pci:0000:38:00.3
XHC1  S4 *enabled   pci:0000:38:00.4
GP18  S4 *enabled   pci:0000:00:08.2
PS2K  S3 *disabled
PS2M  S3 *disabled
GPP1  S4 *disabled
PTXH  S4 *disabled
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  high battery drain on suspend/poweroff wiz 5 4,915 02-10-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Pinebook Pro won't wake up duck_of_death 4 3,804 02-05-2021, 10:06 PM
  Power consumption and suspend to ram robt 33 42,116 11-30-2020, 04:32 PM
  PBP running shipping Manjaro won't wake from suspend fornio 2 4,381 07-21-2020, 07:04 AM
Last Post: vancheese
  Suspend with NVME not working - Default Debian appdev46 5 8,475 07-14-2020, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Jeremiah Cornelius
Question Suspend state: discharge time EreTIk 11 12,066 02-25-2020, 09:57 AM
  Audio problem resume from suspend tomfowler 8 10,016 02-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Bobhodgen
Information A hint to help with suspend-related issues diodelass 0 2,297 11-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Last Post: diodelass