Installing Ubuntu Unity Desktop instead of Ubuntu Mate/Kubuntu
Hi 

Quick question as this has started to get me confused.

Firstly background

I followed this excellent tutorial to install Ubuntu Mate on the Pinebook Pro:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8119

Worked a treat and now it is installed and working well on my device.

So ..I am wanting instead of Mate Ubuntu to have regular Ubuntu with a Unity type feel and panel (although now it is GNOME)  as you get on Ubuntu Desktop should you install it from scratch

I have tried the Munity theme on Mate and that does for now BUT

I still would like to have the same system

So I install Ubuntu desktop and packages
Get 2 choices added to the Lightdm launcher

Neither boot

I then installed Unity desktop which installed with no errors

Code:
sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-deskto

Bingo ...Ubuntu Unity theme boots....looks fine and dandy but most of my apps seem to have disappeared AND right click no longer works AND I cannot fire up a terminal or indeed find terminal in my apps

I deleted both Unity and Ubuntu desktop...all is well and Ubuntu Mate is there working fine. 

But ...I am doing something wrong...something simple...not sure what but it is wrong

Anyone else managed to have a nice Ubuntu desktop like attached screen shot from my desktop 
.png   Screenshot from 2020-01-20 17-57-55.png (Size: 95.2 KB / Downloads: 438)
.png   Screenshot from 2020-01-20 17-57-55.png (Size: 95.2 KB / Downloads: 438) with a side panel or is it just me?
.png   Screenshot from 2020-01-20 17-57-55.png (Size: 95.2 KB / Downloads: 438)
The terminal issue might be Unity expecting Gnome Terminal. I had a similar issue switching from KDE to Gnome, Gnome just didn't want to show Konsole in the menus.

Did either DM end up displaying for you, or did you have to resort to startx? I had a similar issue on an AmLogic board recently in Ubuntu, no DM would startup, and if it did, I couldn't make it to the desktop.
(01-26-2020, 09:16 AM)tophneal Wrote: The terminal issue might be Unity expecting Gnome Terminal. I had a similar issue switching from KDE to Gnome, Gnome just didn't want to show Konsole in the menus.

Did either DM end up displaying for you, or did you have to resort to startx? I had a similar issue on an AmLogic board recently in Ubuntu, no DM would startup, and if it did, I couldn't make it to the desktop.

Thanks

Yes I figured the first issue may be it was waiting for gnome terminal. What was weird was the desktop seemed to load

I had tried a straight forward install of ubuntu-desktop but that would not boot at all...even wayland ubuntu. 

When I installed ubuntu-unity-desktop it booted and seemed to work..looked nice too BUT no terminal or right click on the trackpad. Yet to try it with a mouse and wondered if the trackpad update needed to be reapplied.

One question. 

How hard would it be to build a pure Ubuntu Desktop build do you think

Well....sometimes brute force is needed. 

Forgot the power of Alt and f2 Of course!! I rarely used this but this worked

That located the terminal! and other apps I needed which I could then pin to the unity. See attachments
.png   Screenshot from 2020-01-27 11-20-57.png (Size: 180.91 KB / Downloads: 348) [attachment=1601]

All that does not seem to work despite re running the trackpad updater is the right click..will work on that now
Awesome! That might be worth writing up since there's been some hoops to jump through. Glad you got that going!

Pertaining to the right click, is the physical click or tap to click not working? https://itsfoss.com/fix-right-click-touchpad-ubuntu/
(01-27-2020, 05:44 AM)tophneal Wrote: Awesome! That might be worth writing up since there's been some hoops to jump through. Glad you got that going!

Pertaining to the right click, is the physical click or tap to click not working? https://itsfoss.com/fix-right-click-touchpad-ubuntu/

Well well...that worked!  Thanks

Ok...

Here is the deal so far

Pinebook Pro running Unity Ubuntu!
Able to add apps to panel
Updated!
Right click now fixed and persisted after reboot

I think a small tutorial is in order and I know just the man!

I will draft when up as soon as I get a mo.

Thanks

Andy
(01-27-2020, 06:59 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 05:44 AM)tophneal Wrote: Awesome! That might be worth writing up since there's been some hoops to jump through. Glad you got that going!

Well well...that worked!  Thanks

Ok...

Here is the deal so far

Pinebook Pro running Unity Ubuntu!
Able to add apps to panel
Updated!
Right click now fixed and persisted after reboot

I think a small tutorial is in order and I know just the man!

I will draft when up as soon as I get a mo.

Thanks

Andy

Great! I'm sure a lot of people will be looking forward to using Unity.
Ohhhh, Ubuntu Unity will make this perfect for me. I'm more excited to see the tutorial than I was to get the laptop in.

Thanks in advance.
Here you go....bit brief

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8945

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Partial boot after installing Manjaro on emmc regivanx 11 2,955 02-06-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Steps for Installing Alternative OSes in 2022 jazzhands 8 2,621 11-15-2022, 09:39 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Installing Debian using files only from debian.org and encrypted root filesystem omarcomputing 0 739 10-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Last Post: omarcomputing
  Desktop gui gone tlgalenson 1 1,322 12-27-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Cube Desktop on Pinebook Pro decisivedove 1 2,673 04-15-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: wpeckham
  Post Your Desktop bastafari 26 24,261 11-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Last Post: flatulent_piney
  Installing Archlinux try2bgr8 1 2,271 10-27-2020, 07:14 PM
Last Post: wdt
  help on setting up debian (or ubuntu) on micro sd card pine76 2 8,683 09-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  trouble with installing emacs Corey_R 1 2,429 09-14-2020, 08:24 PM
Last Post: carlosqueso
  manjaro pacman desktop? jcarty 2 3,229 09-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Last Post: carlosqueso