Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro
Would it be good idea to put this is a shell script so all steps are automated and tested?
(06-11-2020, 07:47 AM)oxoocoffee Wrote: Would it be good idea to put this is a shell script so all steps are automated and tested?

I could look into that.
(06-12-2020, 07:05 AM)oxoocoffee Wrote:
(06-12-2020, 04:31 AM)granstr0m Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 07:47 AM)oxoocoffee Wrote: Would it be good idea to put this is a shell script so all steps are automated and tested?

I could look into that.
If you want me to test and make adjustment for 128G module let me know

So the idea would be

1. dd latest Kali img to sdcard
2. Boot from it
3. Copy script
4. Run it 
5. Reboot?

will you have to specify eMMC size (64 vs 128)?

is this what you thinking?

Yes that looks like the steps I did manually.
I think the partition will stretch until the end so no
need to tell if its 128 or 64.
Steve seems to have fixed this issue in the Kali build script https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/build-scripts/kali-arm
This means that when Kali 2020.03 I released we will probably be able to dd the image directly into the emmc.
Or if anyone wants to try it right now, download the build script ant build your own Kali-image.

Anyway, perhaps we should not put to much effort into building scripts for 2020.02 if there is a fix available now....
There is yesterday nightly build with this fix for anyone to test. This fix addressed apt-get upgrade leaving PBP unbootable.

https://arm.kali.org/kali-linux-nightly-...-04.img.xz

This fix will be available in next 2020.3 release
I downloaded the PineBook Pro Kali Linux ARM image from Offensive Security and flashed it to an SD using the PINE64 Installer...

If I put that SD card in and boot, after a few seconds of a flickering cursor in the top left of the screen it simply goes blank. The screen is still on... just blank. Then, if I hit the power button for just a brief moment I see the Kali login screen before it shuts down.

Has anybody had this and found a solution? It's quite maddening knowing that it's running, I just can't seem to see it.
Hi team,

Sorry if this has been brought up. I received my Pinebook Pro this morning and I've been trawling to try and find the answer to this issue.

I've flashed the latest Kali Linux image for Pinebook Pro from Offensive Security using the PINE 64 Installer to an SD card, but when I try to boot from it I simply get a flashing cursor for a few seconds before the screen goes unexpectedly black and remains that way. 

If I then power off the machine I get just the briefest glimpse of the Kali login screen before it shuts down. It's quite maddening to know that it appears to be running, I just can't see it. Has anybody else had this and can maybe point me towards a solution?

Thank you very much!
(06-19-2020, 01:53 AM)JackOnStoke Wrote: Hi team,

Sorry if this has been brought up. I received my Pinebook Pro this morning and I've been trawling to try and find the answer to this issue.

I've flashed the latest Kali Linux image for Pinebook Pro from Offensive Security using the PINE 64 Installer to an SD card, but when I try to boot from it I simply get a flashing cursor for a few seconds before the screen goes unexpectedly black and remains that way. 

If I then power off the machine I get just the briefest glimpse of the Kali login screen before it shuts down. It's quite maddening to know that it appears to be running, I just can't see it. Has anybody else had this and can maybe point me towards a solution?

Thank you very much!

You can try to increase brightness. Or you have done smth wrong. It cannot be clear without any debugging information.

Thank you very much!

Hi I was stuck here too. You can cntrl alt f1 to switch virtual consoles.. i was able to access a shell prompt at f1-f6 and the WM at f7. 

However, the keyboard and touchpad dont work in the WM. it records what i type and  stuff, but you can't see it until you leave the virtual console and come back.

Thank you very much!

Any luck with this? I've successfully flashed/booted both the 2020.2 distro and several nightly builds, including today's release (06/26) and been able to boot from SD without issue. I generally use Etcher to flash the .img to SD and then from there i use 'dd if=imagename.img /dev/mmcblk2 bs=4M status=progress' to flash the Kali image to the eMMC module.

Also, if you flash the 2020.2 release image to your eMMC module and then run 'apt-get update' it will soft brick your PBP. This issue has been fixed in nightly releases and still works fine (for me) up to and including today's release.

Best of luck.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 436 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,107 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 203 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,910 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,978 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,555 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 989 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,918 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,320 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,422 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600