Possible bug? Preloaded OS compiled for aarch64 but dpkg set to armhf
The kernel is compiled for aarch64 but all the os related software appears to be armhf (the 32bit instruction set on arm). Was this intentional?

Also, is there a way to switch all the software to use arm64?

Thanks
Yes, it was intentionally done for software compatibility reasons (IIRC it's to make things like Widevine available for use, since it is not available as an aarch64 package.) I'm afraid I can't answer you're second question, though.
(01-17-2020, 09:31 PM)tequilasunrise Wrote: Also, is there a way to switch all the software to use arm64?

Thanks

So you want to run armhf and aarch64 in conjunction ?

Simple answer no
... only via chroot and most applications (aka X) will/should
not talk with you "parent" armhf 

If you change your arch on a running system via some magic
I've read here somewhere you will render your system
An advanced (or adventurous) user could do "dpkg --add-architecture arm64" and then start installing arm64 packages (and lots of dependencies -- expect to take up a few more gigabytes of space, especially if they're X packages).

You should probably read some documentation like https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO before doing so.

I've done this before (mixing x86 32-bit with amd64, and I think once mixing armhf with arm64)

(This _is_ debian/ubuntu/derivative we're talking about, right?)

My Pinebook hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know for sure whether this'll work on the Pinebook or break things badly, but I feel optimistic.

When I get my PBP, I'd be happy to try this myself and report on the results.
From the various comments, like from @ElektromAn, it appears we can't run multi-arch like we could with Intel x86 & AMD64.

Is it that x86/x64 is simply more mature than ARMHF/ARM64?

And yes, I know most software is ARMv7 / 32 bit because of the RaspberryPI and all of the clones / work-alikes.

I guess I have to add that to my sortware wish list.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
what are you trying to do specifically?

with a 64bit kernel you can have 32b or 64b userspace

I expected armhf to be more mature so am using this primarily...
@xmixahlx,
Is that 32bit OR 64bit?

Or is that 32bit by preference, but 64bit userland is fully supported too?
(Assuming 64 bit kernel and all the libraries)

As I said, I have had multi-arch in the x86/x64 world for years, (more than a decade?). Some programs supplied by vendors are 32 bit only. Not a problem. But, I run the 64 bit by default.

Certain things run better at 64 bit. And somethings that use kernel modules probably need matching arch. for userland processes.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
armhf is 32b. common for the kernel to be 64b (arm64) and userland can choose either 64b or 32b. it makes more sense to either (1) only do 32b userland, or (2) do primarily 64b userland and selectively 32b apps.

i.e. for (2): dpkg --add-architecture armhf && apt-get update && apt-get install -t unstable firefox:armhf

i just received my pbp friday, so still playing with the debian unofficial installs w/ armhf or arm64 userland. haven't made an informed decision yet...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Megi's pre-compiled kernels tmschmitz 0 802 06-30-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: tmschmitz
  ==> ERROR: visual-studio-code-bin is not available for the 'aarch64' architecture. motezart 9 9,641 10-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Darren
Lightbulb (Manjaro) Manipulate AUR PKGBUILD so that it builds on aarch64 Opvolger 0 2,262 06-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Opvolger