Forensic Analysis of PinePhone
Hello all,

I work in computer forensics and I am looking forward to purchasing and using a PinePhone both for general privacy sake as well as my desire to learn how to create forensic images of Linux smartphones and then perform forensic analysis of the resulting forensic images.

Currently, my smartphone forensic software includes Cellebrite (www.cellebrite.com) and MOBILedit Forensic Express (www.mobiledit.com/forensic-express).

For imaging iPhones, smartphone forensic software basically invokes iTunes to create a "mobile backup" of the iPhone being imaged; the resulting image is a logical image, not a physical image, though.  In order to generate a physical image of an iPhone, one must jailbreak the iPhone first.

For imaging Android phones, smartphone forensic software will first install an "agent" on the Android phone; the installed agent will then export out files to external media, sometimes through the use of the Android Debugging Bridge.  Similar to iPhones, one cannot generate a physical image of an Android phone unless one can root the Android phone first.

I am curious to see if traditional workstation imaging software will be able to generate forensic images of the PinePhone.

For example, I oftentimes use Guymager (https://guymager.sourceforge.io/) to generate forensic images of workstation hard drives.  Typically I will use a Live USB running a "free-to-use" Forensic Linux distribution such as Paladin (https://sumuri.com/software/paladin/).  I am able to boot the target workstation to the Linux distribution, which gets loaded to the target workstation's RAM and will not mount the internal hard drive, or only mount the target workstation's internal hard drive as read only.

I am new to this forum so I do not know if there are any other fellow forensic practitioners here, but if there is interest, I will update everyone with my forensic imaging and analysis progress once I get a PinePhone.
I am not in computer forensics but I am interested in your findings.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,217 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,530 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 465 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,946 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,484 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,613 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,677 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma