Games compilation howto on the Pinebook-pro (Manjaro Linux and Debian native)
(01-01-2020, 04:09 PM)astr0baby Wrote: - Quake 1

Currently, all of the glquake based engines have bad flickering problems on Panfrost.

However, the software rendered tyrquake works well:

https://disenchant.net/tyrquake/

https://disenchant.net/files/engine/tyrq....66.tar.gz

Compiling is as simple as:

Code:
$ make bin/tyr-quake

Shareware data can be downloaded from https://www.libsdl.org/projects/quake/da...0.6.tar.gz, just untar it into the tyrutils directory.

To launch:

Code:
$ ./bin/tyr-quake
(01-19-2020, 01:38 AM)icecream95 Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 09:49 AM)Luke Wrote: I am encountering this issue with chocolate doom on default Debian.

If you prefer high resolutions and being able to look up and down, LZDoom is easy to compile and works with both Panfrost and the blob driver via gl4es.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/archive/3.84.tar.gz

Compiling can be done through the standard CMake steps:

Code:
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
$ make -j`nproc`
$ sudo make install

For Panfrost, you'll want to use a very recent mesa-git as my bug fix for some levels such as E1M7 has only just been pushed.

I did get chcolate DOOM working Smile But I'll try this too.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-19-2020, 01:56 AM)icecream95 Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 04:09 PM)astr0baby Wrote: - Quake 1

Currently, all of the glquake based engines have bad flickering problems on Panfrost.

However, the software rendered tyrquake works well:

https://disenchant.net/tyrquake/

https://disenchant.net/files/engine/tyrq....66.tar.gz

Compiling is as simple as:

Code:
$ make bin/tyr-quake

Shareware data can be downloaded from https://www.libsdl.org/projects/quake/da...0.6.tar.gz, just untar it into the tyrutils directory.

To launch:

Code:
$ ./bin/tyr-quake

quakespasm-0.93.2  works perfectly with Manjaro + Panfrost
I have made a video of a few games performance here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVd4t2ya6c
(01-19-2020, 06:16 AM)astr0baby Wrote: quakespasm-0.93.2  works perfectly with Manjaro + Panfrost

A couple of months ago it was pretty bad, but there seems to be a lot less flickering now, at least for quakespasm and darkplaces.

(01-19-2020, 06:05 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 01:38 AM)icecream95 Wrote: If you prefer high resolutions and being able to look up and down, LZDoom is easy to compile and works with both Panfrost and the blob driver via gl4es.

Note that LZDoom defaults to software rendering, so you'll want to go to "Change rendering output" in the settings to enable hardware acceleration, then restart.

Also note that when setting the resolution ("Set video mode" in the options), you need to filter by aspect ratio to be able to see all the resolution options.
(01-19-2020, 03:40 PM)icecream95 Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 06:16 AM)astr0baby Wrote: quakespasm-0.93.2  works perfectly with Manjaro + Panfrost

A couple of months ago it was pretty bad, but there seems to be a lot less flickering now, at least for quakespasm and darkplaces.

(01-19-2020, 06:05 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 01:38 AM)icecream95 Wrote: If you prefer high resolutions and being able to look up and down, LZDoom is easy to compile and works with both Panfrost and the blob driver via gl4es.

Note that LZDoom defaults to software rendering, so you'll want to go to "Change rendering output" in the settings to enable hardware acceleration, then restart.

Also note that when setting the resolution ("Set video mode" in the options), you need to filter by aspect ratio to be able to see all the resolution options.

Already did that. Its seems that performance is very picky about resolution -- and lower doesn't really mean better (in fact the opposite). Very strange. Anyways, at highest resolution settings, funny enough, the game runs great.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I'm very new to ARM computers AND linux-- so I'm not sure how much of a feat this is. But I got snes9x working on Debian Native by downloading each of the required dependencies individually and then compiling it myself! I haven't tested it too too much but I ran a few games (Yoshi's Island, ALTTP) and they played beautifully, albeit with a few stutters. More audio than visual though. I wonder if there is a "right" audio driver for that sort of thing.
(01-23-2020, 02:41 PM)judgeruss Wrote: I'm very new to ARM computers AND linux-- so I'm not sure how much of a feat this is. But I got snes9x working on Debian Native by downloading each of the required dependencies individually and then compiling it myself! I haven't tested it too too much but I ran a few games (Yoshi's Island, ALTTP) and they played beautifully, albeit with a few stutters. More audio than visual though. I wonder if there is a "right" audio driver for that sort of thing.

As somebody riding the same exact ride, this give me hope. Haha. I'm getting along a little better than I expected. But I also haven't owned a computer in almost ten years. Although I did build that one.

Best of luck!
Having trouble compiling DevilutionX on Manjaro.

Code:
[branon@pbp bin]$ cmake ..
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:146 (message):
 Could NOT find sodium (missing: sodium_LIBRARY_RELEASE
 sodium_LIBRARY_DEBUG) (found version "1.0.18")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
 /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:393 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
 CMake/Findsodium.cmake:224 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
 CMakeLists.txt:117 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/branon/git/devilutionX/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/branon/git/devilutionX/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

libsodium is installled:

Code:
[branon@pbp bin]$ pacman -Ss libsodium
community/libsodium 1.0.18-1 [installed]
   P(ortable|ackageable) NaCl-based crypto library

Edit: I haave discovered that AUR packages for devilutionX exist, and have attempted to use them. They do not appear to be binary packages, and they attempt to compile from source before failing with the same error.

Code:
[branon@pbp ~]$ yay -Sy devilutionx
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: There are 3 providers available for devilutionx:
:: Repository AUR
    1) devilutionx 2) devilutionx-git 3) devilutionx-multilib-git

Enter a number (default=1):
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Repo: 4]  mpg123-1.25.13-1  opusfile-0.11-1  sdl2_mixer-2.0.4-3  sdl2_ttf-2.0.15-1
[Aur: 1]  devilutionx-1.0.0-1

:: Downloaded PKGBUILD (1/1): devilutionx
  1 devilutionx                              (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==>
:: Parsing SRCINFO (1/1): devilutionx

==> The following packages are not compatible with your architecture:  devilutionx
==> Try to build them anyway? [Y/n] y
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (4)         New Version  Net Change  Download Size

extra/mpg123        1.25.13-1      0.72 MiB       0.25 MiB
community/opusfile  0.11-1         0.24 MiB       0.06 MiB
extra/sdl2_mixer    2.0.4-3        0.20 MiB       0.06 MiB
extra/sdl2_ttf      2.0.15-1       0.08 MiB       0.02 MiB

Total Download Size:   0.38 MiB
Total Installed Size:  1.24 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
mpg123-1.25.13-1-aarch64                                                              254.3 KiB   687 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
sdl2_mixer-2.0.4-3-aarch64                                                             62.9 KiB  6.14 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
sdl2_ttf-2.0.15-1-aarch64                                                              17.5 KiB  0.00   B/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
opusfile-0.11-1-aarch64                                                                58.7 KiB  5.74 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking keys in keyring                                                                                     [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking package integrity                                                                                   [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) loading package files                                                                                        [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking for file conflicts                                                                                  [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking available disk space                                                                                [####################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/4) installing mpg123                                                                                            [####################################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for mpg123
    sdl: for sdl audio support
    jack: for jack audio support [installed]
    libpulse: for pulse audio support [installed]
(2/4) installing opusfile                                                                                          [####################################################################] 100%
(3/4) installing sdl2_mixer                                                                                        [####################################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for sdl2_mixer
    fluidsynth: MIDI software synth, replaces built-in timidity
(4/4) installing sdl2_ttf                                                                                          [####################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
==> Making package: devilutionx 1.0.0-1 (Sat 25 Jan 2020 06:40:13 PM EST)
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading 1.0.0.tar.gz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   130    0   130    0     0    582      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   582
100 1756k    0 1756k    0     0  1037k      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:-- 1508k
  -> Found devilutionx.png
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    1.0.0.tar.gz ... Passed
    devilutionx.png ... Passed
sdl2_mixer not satisfied, flushing install queue
==> Making package: devilutionx 1.0.0-1 (Sat 25 Jan 2020 06:40:21 PM EST)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
  -> Found 1.0.0.tar.gz
  -> Found devilutionx.png
    1.0.0.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Extracting 1.0.0.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Starting prepare()...
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:28 (project):
  VERSION keyword not followed by a value or was followed by a value that
  expanded to nothing.

-- The C compiler identification is GNU 9.2.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 9.2.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Looking for pthread.h
-- Looking for pthread.h - found
-- Performing Test CMAKE_HAVE_LIBC_PTHREAD
-- Performing Test CMAKE_HAVE_LIBC_PTHREAD - Failed
-- Check if compiler accepts -pthread
-- Check if compiler accepts -pthread - yes
-- Found Threads: TRUE  
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:146 (message):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:393 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)

See also "/home/branon/.cache/yay/devilutionx/src/devilutionX-1.0.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/branon/.cache/yay/devilutionx/src/devilutionX-1.0.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
    Aborting...
Error making: devilutionx

There is also a multilib version but that complains about unresolvable dependencies

Code:
[branon@pbp ~]$ yay -Sy devilutionx-git
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: There are 2 providers available for lib32-gcc-libs:
    1) lib32-gcc-libs-git 2) lib32-gcc-libs-gitb

==> Error: Could not find all required packages:
    lib32-glibc>=2.20 (Wanted by: devilutionx-git -> lib32-gcc-libs-git)
    lib32-sdl2_mixer (Wanted by: devilutionx-git)
    lib32-sdl2_ttf (Wanted by: devilutionx-git)
    lib32-libsodium (Wanted by: devilutionx-git)
Can you try pass these args to cmake ? -DBINARY_RELEASE=ON and -DDEBUG=OFF ?

like this cmake -DBINARY_RELEASE=ON -DDEBUG=OFF

(01-05-2020, 06:14 AM)brzegorz Wrote: Hi, I'll link my Baldur's Gate topic as this is the most comprehensive games list I've found. There are some flags to tick in the engine compilation, but it works well and supports mods(or at least the widescreen one).

Maybe we should initiate a wiki section with compilation instructions and explanation of how well the game works? Currently the info is scattered across forums, and I think it's quite valuable.

P.S. Link: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8702

Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games play natively via the gemrb - no need for any dark magic hackery Smile

(01-25-2020, 03:19 PM)branon Wrote: Having trouble compiling DevilutionX on Manjaro.

Code:
[branon@pbp bin]$ cmake ..

libsodium is installled:

Code:
[branon@pbp bin]$ pacman -Ss libsodium
community/libsodium 1.0.18-1 [installed]
   P(ortable|ackageable) NaCl-based crypto library

Edit: I haave discovered that AUR packages for devilutionX exist, and have attempted to use them. They do not appear to be binary packages, and they attempt to compile from source before failing with the same error.

Code:
[branon@pbp ~]$ yay -Sy devilutionx
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: There are 3 providers available for devilutionx:
   1) devilutionx 2) devilutionx-git 3) devilutionx-multilib-git

:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Repo: 4]  mpg123-1.25.13-1  opusfile-0.11-1  sdl2_mixer-2.0.4-3  sdl2_ttf-2.0.15-1
[Aur: 1]  devilutionx-1.0.0-1

:: Downloaded PKGBUILD (1/1): devilutionx
 1 devilutionx                              (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==>
:: Parsing SRCINFO (1/1): devilutionx

==> The following packages are not compatible with your architecture:  devilutionx
==> Try to build them anyway? [Y/n] y
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (4)         New Version  Net Change  Download Size

extra/mpg123        1.25.13-1      0.72 MiB       0.25 MiB
community/opusfile  0.11-1         0.24 MiB       0.06 MiB
extra/sdl2_mixer    2.0.4-3        0.20 MiB       0.06 MiB
extra/sdl2_ttf      2.0.15-1       0.08 MiB       0.02 MiB

Total Download Size:   0.38 MiB
Total Installed Size:  1.24 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
mpg123-1.25.13-1-aarch64                                                              254.3 KiB   687 KiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
sdl2_mixer-2.0.4-3-aarch64                                                             62.9 KiB  6.14 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
sdl2_ttf-2.0.15-1-aarch64                                                              17.5 KiB  0.00   B/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
opusfile-0.11-1-aarch64                                                                58.7 KiB  5.74 MiB/s 00:00 [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking keys in keyring                                                                                     [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking package integrity                                                                                   [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) loading package files                                                                                        [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking for file conflicts                                                                                  [####################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking available disk space                                                                                [####################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/4) installing mpg123                                                                                            [####################################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for mpg123
   sdl: for sdl audio support
   jack: for jack audio support [installed]
   libpulse: for pulse audio support [installed]
(2/4) installing opusfile                                                                                          [####################################################################] 100%
(3/4) installing sdl2_mixer                                                                                        [####################################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for sdl2_mixer
   fluidsynth: MIDI software synth, replaces built-in timidity
(4/4) installing sdl2_ttf                                                                                          [####################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
==> Making package: devilutionx 1.0.0-1 (Sat 25 Jan 2020 06:40:13 PM EST)
 -> Downloading 1.0.0.tar.gz...
 % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   130    0   130    0     0    582      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   582
100 1756k    0 1756k    0     0  1037k      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:-- 1508k
 -> Found devilutionx.png
   1.0.0.tar.gz ... Passed
sdl2_mixer not satisfied, flushing install queue
==> Making package: devilutionx 1.0.0-1 (Sat 25 Jan 2020 06:40:21 PM EST)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
 -> Found 1.0.0.tar.gz
 -> Found devilutionx.png
   1.0.0.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
 -> Extracting 1.0.0.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Starting prepare()...
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:28 (project):
 VERSION keyword not followed by a value or was followed by a value that
 expanded to nothing.

-- The C compiler identification is GNU 9.2.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 9.2.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Looking for pthread.h
-- Looking for pthread.h - found
-- Performing Test CMAKE_HAVE_LIBC_PTHREAD
-- Performing Test CMAKE_HAVE_LIBC_PTHREAD - Failed
-- Check if compiler accepts -pthread
-- Check if compiler accepts -pthread - yes
-- Found Threads: TRUE  

See also "/home/branon/.cache/yay/devilutionx/src/devilutionX-1.0.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/branon/.cache/yay/devilutionx/src/devilutionX-1.0.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
   Aborting...
Error making: devilutionx

There is also a multilib version but that complains about unresolvable dependencies

Code:
[branon@pbp ~]$ yay -Sy devilutionx-git
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: There are 2 providers available for lib32-gcc-libs:
   1) lib32-gcc-libs-git 2) lib32-gcc-libs-gitb

==> Error: Could not find all required packages:
   lib32-glibc>=2.20 (Wanted by: devilutionx-git -> lib32-gcc-libs-git)
   lib32-sdl2_mixer (Wanted by: devilutionx-git)
   lib32-sdl2_ttf (Wanted by: devilutionx-git)
   lib32-libsodium (Wanted by: devilutionx-git)

There is a thread open on the DevillutionX git for this https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX/issues/225
Interesting. On aarch64 (pinebook) I get the same error about sodium

Code:
[branon@pbp bin]$ cmake -DBINARY_RELEASE=ON -DDEBUG=OFF ..

however on amd64 (void linux), this solves the issue for me and i am able to compile successfully:

Code:
[branon@netherworld bin]$ cmake -DBINARY_RELEASE=ON -DDEBUG=OFF ..
-- Found SDL2_mixer: /usr/lib/libSDL2_mixer.so  
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/branon/git/devilutionx/bin

Edit: by commenting out the references to libsodium in https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutio...eLists.txt I was able to get the software to compile in aarch64

obtaining some game data now to see if it works

indeed it does. i can even create a multiplayer game and connect to myself on localhost

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,912 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 304 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 240 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 231 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Manjaro versions bad and good gilwood 0 188 02-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: gilwood
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 558 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 623 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,236 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,001 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt