Brave Heart 'welcome letter' draft - feedback welcome
I am very thankful for the feedback. Here is the problem, I totally understand all you guys wrote, and I will try to incorporate as much as possible, but all I have to work with is a small sheet of paper that still has to be printed in ~font 10 at the very least. I'll redraft tomorrow evening (packing for travel and traveling tomorrow), and reupload a new version -- let's see how much I can cover in the limited space I've got.
Thank you again!
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(12-19-2019, 01:03 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: My vote for a wiki page to cover all/any releases, especially during this Brave heart phase, is here.

Oh, I didn't realize there already was a wiki page like that. Great!
(12-19-2019, 04:35 AM)Luke Wrote: Hi everyone,

I drafted a Brave Heart welcome letter and would appreciate your feedback. Is something missing? should something be phrased differently? Let me know.

Quote:Dear Piner,

Congratulations on receiving your Brave Heart edition PinePhone! 

You are one of the very first to have a PinePhone and we hope you’ll help us and our partner projects by testing, contributing to, and documenting the development progress. Thank you!

Brave Heart phones come preloaded with a factory test software and nothing else, so you’ll have to seek out the OSs you’re interested in on your own. Most mobile distributions OS images are linked on the PinePhone subsection of the PINE64 Wiki (wiki.pine64.org). 

The PinePhone Wiki subsection also contains schematics, instructions, hardware configuration details and other useful information about your device. You can edit and contribute to the Wiki by logging in using your forum credentials. We encourage you to do so.  

Since this is fundamentally a community project, we strongly suggest you join the #pinephone chat, accessible via Telegram, Discord, IRC and Matrix (NB. all chat protocols are bridged). You can find links to the chat on PINE64 Wiki and under the Forums and Chats tab our main site (pine64.org). Your input is valuable regardless of if you’re a tester, developer or just an enthusiastic end-user, so it is important that you join the conversation.

Most partner projects - a list of which can be found under Partner Project tab on our site - also have discussion threads or chats dedicated to the PinePhone. So if you’re interested in one particular OS, and wish to contribute to it, then make sure to check out the forums and/or chats of the project in question.  

Brave Heart is meant for early-adopters - developers and enthusiasts - so we expect and even encourage you to experiment with the software and hardware by pushing the envelope. That said, please keep in mind that the device is under standard warranty, so braking components during disassembly or tampering with eFUSEs is a subject to voiding of your warranty. We trust this is common sense. 

Now, have fun with your PinePhone!  

PINE64 Community Team

Perhaps  some "Useful Tips"   (?)

Charge fully before use,  Currently working operating systems, 

or suggested OS'es that need more testers to participate. ?

Things that you as an 'insider' may have more knowledge of  ?

Thanks Luke, TLlm, and Team  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I redrafted the letter based on your suggestions. Tried to squeeze as much as I could in the little space a page permits. Feedback please - don't have much time to get this to TL.

(12-22-2019, 08:10 AM)Luke Wrote: I redrafted the letter based on your suggestions. Tried to squeeze as much as I could in the little space a page permits. Feedback please - don't have much time to get this to TL.

That should work for the limited space you are aiming at.

Big Grin  
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
The redraft is good! Looking forward to start reporting bugs!
"- is there already a tool for overclocking it desperately?" 
Thanks, I'll wait for another few hours and see if I get any more responses. If not, I'll email it tomorrow to TL by midday EU time.

(12-22-2019, 08:10 AM)Luke Wrote: I redrafted the letter based on your suggestions. Tried to squeeze as much as I could in the little space a page permits. Feedback please - don't have much time to get this to TL.

OK, I made it more concise.

Quote:Dear Piner,

Congratulations on receiving your Brave Heart edition PinePhone!

You are one of the very first to have a PinePhone. We hope you’ll help us and our partner projects by contributing to its development.    

Your input is valuable, so it is important that you report whatever problems you encounter. Please, include relevant logs and/or UART outputs.

Join the conversation on whichever platform suits you. You can report non-OS specific (kernel) issues you encounter on: https://gitlab.com/pine64-org. OS specific problems should be reported on the PINE64 Wiki (wiki.pine64.org/PinePhone#Software Support) as well as directly to developers in the pinephone chats (Forums and Chats tab on https://pine64.org), on PINE64 forums (forum.pine64.org) or on the relevant partner-project forums (see Partner Projects tab on https://pine64.org).

Brave Heart phones come preloaded with factory test software and nothing else. So you’ll have to seek out the OSs that interest you on your own. Keep in mind that all the OSs are presently pre-release and vary in functionality, even from one pre-release to another. Most mobile distribution OS images are linked on the PinePhone subsection of the PINE64 Wiki. Obtaining OS builds absent from the Wiki may require talking to their developers directly.

The PinePhone Wiki subsection also contains schematics, instructions, hardware configuration details, and other useful information about your device. You can edit and contribute to the Wiki by logging in with your forum credentials.

Brave Heart is meant for early-adopters — developers and enthusiasts — so we expect and encourage you to experiment with the software and hardware by pushing the envelope. That said, please keep in mind that the device is under standard warranty, so breaking components during disassembly or tampering with eFUSEs will void that warranty.

Now, have fun with your PinePhone!  

PINE64 Community Team
Either of the redrafts look great. Only pet peeve would be be consistent and for preservation of space, drop the https:// for all the links. Also, the wiki link should be wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone#Software_Support (missing '/index.php' in the URL and underscore between Software and Support - no spaces in URLs Wink ), as well as that heading not currently existing. Enjoy your trip @Luke ! Smile
Thumbs Up 
looks good to me
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New pinephone user feedback Muad 1 2,214 01-29-2021, 07:51 PM
Last Post: mw4jet
  Next Pinephone Wish List and BraveHeart Feedback Starlord 0 2,056 02-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Starlord
Exclamation Brave Heart First Impressions ? bcnaz 57 64,744 02-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Last Post: pinerokc
  SD card requirements for Pine Phone (Brave Heart edition) bcnaz 9 15,083 02-13-2020, 05:58 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  My Brave Heart bcnaz 0 1,872 02-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
Exclamation Brave Heart Edition bcnaz 5 8,179 01-15-2020, 02:56 PM
  Pine Phone Brave Heart November pre-order date ? bcnaz 12 16,440 11-12-2019, 06:33 PM