Any OS for Pinephone have call capability?
I have my fingers crossed,

Hoping the call GUI enabled software arrives before my Brave Heart phone does...

Both are getting closer  ..!...!  :-)

(02-05-2020, 10:15 AM)Luke Wrote: Phone calls [edit] from GUI may not be very far off now.

LUKE

The UBPorts team has made calls using the command line, if I heard or remember correctly  ?
    (on a development Pine phone)  ?

Was that UBPorts or Postmarket  ?

(same basic hardware as the Brave Heart)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Ubports. And there is this (call working with Sailfish OS): https://twitter.com/neochapay/status/122...42305?s=20
Thanks for the replies! My BH arrived yesterday. Trying UBPorts for now. (Current problem is it's not booting from sd card Sad Still looking for an answer. Not to the point of starting a thread yet Smile )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(02-11-2020, 03:33 PM)quixote Wrote: Thanks for the replies!  My BH arrived yesterday. Trying UBPorts for now. (Current problem is it's not booting from sd card Sad  Still looking for an answer. Not to the point of starting a thread yet Smile )

Did you use Etcher to flash your card ?
   That seems to work dependably for me.

I was using the SD card slot on my laptop,  but that can take nearly an hour to write/flash the card.
       When I put my SD card into a  'usb to SD card adapter',  it did the same job in just minutes..!

Good Luck,  Happy Testing
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-11-2020, 03:33 PM)quixote Wrote: Thanks for the replies!  My BH arrived yesterday. Trying UBPorts for now. (Current problem is it's not booting from sd card Sad  Still looking for an answer. Not to the point of starting a thread yet Smile )

FWIW, I had to gunzip the UBP download, then use Disk Writer (on PC LinuxMint) to put it on the SD card.   DD, or something Windows based like Rufus(?) would do that, too.  Then it started right up a few seconds after I plugged in the phone's power: 1st a screenful or 2 of console text log messages, then the Ubuntu purple graphical splash screen.  Tip: keep it plugged in to maintain charging, since once the power cable is disconnected, it will not resume charging until the phone is restarted (with the power cable plugged in!).

HTH
Not to use an unpopular word here, but does Google phone work via wifi without a sim?
Well, my story so far: Ubports looks like a nice OS (bcnaz suggestion to use Etcher to make a bootable sdcard was essential). But. It doesn't automatically see my SIM, I haven't fought with it about that yet, so no calls either way even if the software was capable of it.

I then tried PostmarketOS, which does see SIM without any backchat, so that's nice. Texting works sending and receiving. So that's nice too. But all my friends are on Signal, so I was trying to figure out how to install axolotl (Signal client) on an Alpine OS, and from what I can see, you can't. Yet anyway. So back to ubports to see if I can get it to work there. I realize this is a different issue than getting mobile calling working, but in terms of being able to communicate with the world, it's all part of the same general question.

Now I see wild rumors that calling works on Sailfish.... I wonder if Signal runs on it? ??
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
I had the same problem with UBPorts where it couldn't find SIM card.

I finally found the magical commands to do it:

sudo /usr/share/ofono/scripts/enable-modem
sudo /usr/share/ofono/scripts/online-modem

That makes it possible to send SMS - and maybe data (didn't test).
I could also call my other phone - but sound doesn't currently work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 523 Yesterday, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 328 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 222 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,781 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,761 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 593 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,322 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 488 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,662 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,924 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma