PINE music player (with M2 SSDs)
I have just look for modern music players.

A device where I can install liGNUx as OS and large M2 as a music storage

And perhaps  Kodi to manage my FLAC music collection ripped from my owned CDs.

And it is a DIY market.

Plus devices are very expensive and none with M2 or NVMe SDDs

I think that a cheaper pseudo-Pinephone with M2 & or NVMw SDDs and a good DAC to listen to FLAC - and MP3 - music.

A PineMusic player or a PineFLAC player or whatever the name would be can make for the Pine project more money than all the other projects together if it is the best music player as it was the Apple one long time ago with small HDDs.

And the pinephone, without the phone, the "pineplayer" or the "pinemusic"  a smaller screen and with the SDDs would be a best seller.
I kinda disagree, that's WAY more niche than the current products are. The majority of people are clueless about the FLAC file format. The Phone would still outsell it, because the majority of people are streaming now. It's also pretty easy, and cheap, already to grab one of the many confirmed working MP3 Player options, and slap RockBox firmware onto it.
Or another option is to create a linux music player OS running on the pinephone that transforms a pinephone to a pineplayer. That is the beauty of the pinephone, you have the hardware and you can create with it what you want, and with sd cards of 1TB there is no real need for a hdd/ssd.
I always wondered why nobody started with a custom AOSP project that transforms old cellphones in media players. If I had time and the knowledge I certainly would give my sony experia active a second life as a "android media player" based on lineage.

BTW, I didn't know rockbox firmware was still active.
(12-13-2019, 01:32 PM)tophneal Wrote: I kinda disagree, that's WAY more niche than the current products are. The majority of people are clueless about the FLAC file format. The Phone would still outsell it, because the majority of people are streaming now. It's also pretty easy, and cheap, already to grab one of the many confirmed working MP3 Player options, and slap RockBox firmware onto it.

MUSIC PLAYER (FLAC is the good option, but not the main thing)
Phones are more important market than MUSIC PLAYERS, no doubt.

The actual MP3 player options with Rockbox do not meet actual technologies capabilities, even the newer ones that gave me yesterday when I looked for the state of the art, a deception in price / performance.

Ipod Touch 128 Gb 280 €
Ipod Touch 32 Gb 221 €
Victure MP3 8 Gb 25 € with SD cards
Sony Walkman NWZ-B183 (4 GB) 59 €

And as there is a pinetime project
If there are some music lovers developers they would be able to convert a good DIY project in a liGNUx mainstream one, beating in price and in capabilities the actual market.  It can exist a pinemusic project. - it is a suggestion -.

I remember that the Ipod was the first success in Apple mobility devices, and actual phones have a problem and it is that they spend a lot of battery when they are used as a computer, even if it is to play music, so a secondary device with high capacity storage, and long battery time, that also can be used as an external SDD for any kind of files maybe is a good enough idea to make thousands of units. 

- I am not writing about the chance it can be millions if it is well done in price and performance beating actual Ipods, not only as music players, also as BT / WiFi / USB-C externals SDDs for phones, and battery banks, but there is the chance -

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine vacuum cleaner and door phone norayr 3 406 01-16-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: hanajijang
  Android OS that supports LCD touch panel (pine a64) Spekboy 0 261 01-14-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Spekboy
  A post about a Pine-64 Wi-Fi ethernet router project board and enclosure? Omnios 1 553 09-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Is it possible to use Pine-64 board as a Mini PC such as BeeLink? Omnios 1 736 08-30-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Pine Desktop PowerSupply wont power on BSharp 5 1,637 08-29-2023, 08:06 AM
Last Post: chickenplusone
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,394 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  Pine.org very poor review rma00 6 1,572 06-30-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: gregb49
  Cryptocurrency payment option and Pine hardware wallet, any thoughts? ohuw67 11 9,765 03-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: user641
  What about a Pine digital audio player? ClairelyClaire 4 2,317 02-06-2023, 11:17 PM
Last Post: nixcamic
  New product idea: Pine Glasses Blathers 2 2,716 12-02-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: erikzoltan