NETGEAR WGR614 case mod
I purchased a nice clean white Netgear WGR614 wireless-G router at a yard sale for $5.00.  The guy wasn't sure if it worked, but I had other plans for it anyway.  I thought it seemed about the right size for the Pine64.  I just got the 2GB board in yesterday, so I've begun toying with the router case.  The board actually fits right inside the security screw posts of the router's case.  I had to stand it on risers and spreaders to "trap" the board within the height of the case.  I have pictures, but I don't have an image hosting account.  Do they still offer free image hosting accounts?  If anyone can point me in the right direction with images, I'd be happy to share them.  Until then, I'll find some that already exist (of the router).

[img][Image: SDC10666_ebay.jpg][/img]

The security screws are located under the rubber feet.  The board is a bit snug with regard to access to the ports.  There is plenty of room for the air mouse/remote w/keyboard's tiny USB dongle on one end of the case.  The other end has exactly the same amount of space, but I'm going to have to purchase some right angle cables for HDMI, Micro USB power, and Ethernet.  I've located what I think will work, but I won't know until I actually order them and get them in.  The router case has an access panel on one of its longer sides (the back).

The router also has a rotating antenna, but I'm not sure I need the WiFi antenna sticking out of the case--nor am I sure that I could solder the router's antenna onto the WiFi module's antenna or if that would even work.  Unfortunately the router's antenna was soldered to the router's board rather than attached the way the WiFi module's is.  Otherwise I could have just switched the leads over.

[Image: wgr416v9_411.jpg]

I've had a lot of issues with my Android build, and I'm not sure at this point that I want to purchase those cables--unless I can get this thing to work first.  I really just wanted a dedicated Kodi box with Ethernet capability (to make streaming more robust).  It appears that Ethernet is problematic with an Android build as well, but I hadn't got that far.  The read rate from my bootable Class 10 Micro SD card seems to be extremely slow.

What drew me toward a router case is the ventilation that the cases offer.  I may have to go a bit bigger though.  There are a lot to choose from.

These are from Picasa, but I'm not sure if they are shareable:

The first shows the risers and spreaders I used to fit the board vertically inside the case.
[Image: DSCF0294.JPG]

This shows the relationship of the board size to case size--and how little room there is at either end for connectivity:

[Image: DSCF0296.JPG]
Cool. I got one of those laying around. I might give it a try Smile
Good case idea...

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Well, because my new Samsung Evo+ micro SD card solved my other issue, I'm moving forward with this project.  I've ordered the following close-quarters cables (one isn't due in until June 1st).  Then I'll see if this case will work.  I have another, slightly larger--but not as nice looking--router case that I can hack if necessary.

Well, I got my specialty cables in and there just isn't enough room for them in this small router case.  I guess I'll hang onto the case for a Pi project in the future.  Oh well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Super Mario case [NOW WITH UPDATED STL-FILE (April 27.)] Tarjei85 37 63,245 07-23-2020, 05:31 AM
Last Post: devendraraju
  Made a case for the Pine64 with Audio DAC installed kodachrome 1 3,896 11-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Last Post: xalius
  playbox case ribbon cable too short pinoosh 7 12,112 02-22-2019, 03:24 AM
Last Post: GaryFunk
  Clear case PIne 64 with VESA100 LIPO , RTC holder, and mini fan holes killor 6 11,380 08-05-2017, 07:15 AM
Last Post: killor
  New Pine 64 Screen Case from C4Labs Dustin_C4Labs 11 18,688 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Last Post: tllim
  A case with active cooling for 1Gb pine64 ishwest 5 9,894 06-28-2017, 04:05 AM
Last Post: ishwest
  Lego Case Kiryu 67 87,279 03-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Acrylic case with Lipo Holder and 2 Tactile push button included killor 9 12,827 10-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Last Post: killor
  Pine64 Layer case modmypi 2 5,235 10-04-2016, 02:45 AM
Last Post: modmypi
Photo Weatherproof case build ltorsini 10 29,147 10-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ltorsini