An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
depending on your kernel version, you may want to use the alsa state from manjaro.

i keep current kernel and current pinebookpro-post-install from manjaro, and included in pbp-tools scripts.
Is it possible to get a kernel using @danielt's installer for which CONFIG_ARMV8_DEPRECATED is enabled, like in the stock Debian kernel? ($ zgrep ARMV8 /proc/config.gz to check this.)

On the stock Debian I was able to install the Raspberry Pi version of Mathematica (directly using the deb files) and run it simply by editing the executables and inserting the case uname -m equal to aarch64. On the new kernel I get "Illegal instruction" error. According to Jaron Kent-Dobias's guide for Mathematica on Pinebook, CONFIG_ARMV8_DEPRECATED needs to be enabled for some armhf instructions to be supported.

Alternatively, would it be possible/advisable to run the newer Debian using the stock version of the kernel?
the stock debian kernels do not yet support all the necessary pbp drivers. not sure about danielt's kernel packages, but i'll include this in my kernel config at pbp-tools.
submitting a few PRs that i initially proposed in february via patch plus some new things. (a few of those already made it into git, cool.)

i've forked and will be cramming personal usage things into that, integrating into pbp-tools. will upstream possibly useful things as I find them.
Hi I have sometime ago installed Debian unstable using danielt's installer, thanks for the installer btw.

The result seems for work quite fine except one issue, a stable picture on a external monitor.

The setup consists of X11 using the internal eDP-1 and DP-1 though a USB-C "dock" -> KVM switch -> 4K monitor.
No issues have been observed on Manjaro so I think it is relatively safe to rule out hardware as an issue

I would describe the issue as part of/the entire external screen jumping one (maybe more) pixel to the right for maybe a frame.
The laptop internal display seems fine.

I have tried:
* Reducing the resolution (the problem persists but is even more annoying as the pixel size is bigger)
* Compiling a custom kernel 5.7.0 based off the Manjaro one
* Comparing "xrandr --verbose" from the Pinebook pro with a stationary connected to the same KVM switch
  (The EDID information is the same as are the clock speeds for the different modes)
* Forcing the CPUs to run in performance mode (to prevent frequency changes that may interfere with the GPU if they share clock domains)
* Updating the system to get the latest mesa (available from Debian)

---------------------------
    GLEW Extension Info
---------------------------

GLEW version 2.1.0
Reporting capabilities of display , visual 0x172
Running on a Mali T860 (Panfrost) from Panfrost
OpenGL version 2.1 Mesa 20.1.2 is supported

I have yet to try to compile mesa-git

My current theory is that the display/pixel timings are very slightly off causing the issue.

Does any one have any similar experiences and/or any suggestions?

Regards and thanks for your time Visti Andresen
(06-15-2020, 12:22 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: the stock debian kernels do not yet support all the necessary pbp drivers. not sure about danielt's kernel packages, but i'll include this in my kernel config at pbp-tools.

Any info on what's missing, esp. with the new 5.7 kernel? I suspect the Debian folks would be happy to accept fixes to this, since they've already taken other changes into their kernel build configs to support the PBP (e.g. enabling the device tree bits).
tsys is upstreaming them, but the manjaro kernel repo will be the mainline standard for some time. i use a patch for the pbp-install-linux script in pbp-tools.

you can see the to the manjaro changes rebased to the 5.8-rc1 repo here.
https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/linux-pi.../v5.8-rc1/
Hi all, I just used this to install Debian on my new Pinebook pro, so first off, thanks for putting this together.

would there be a way to tweak what software is installed by default? Trying to install this on an 8gb uSD card with xfce and then trying to boot off the uSD card to install to eMMC, it works, but with a few tweaks. the 8GB uSD card runs out of space as it installs the required packages for the installer to run (eg, wget, etc). simply uninstalling a few programs (parole, xfburn, quodlibet, exfalso, which aren't large) and running apt-get autoremove freed up 800MB or so of space which was then plenty.
YOU select what is installed by default. just skip tasksel.
I appear to be having an issue with audio. with headphones plugged in, i get audio out both speakers and headphones. I could a couple threads on the topic:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4943
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4698

with various fixes in each, but none of them seem to work. for example, no "speakers" option appears in the alsamixer > card=rockchip,es8316-codec menu, and "amixer sset commands aren't working: "amixer scontrols" shows only "Master" and "Capture". in the PulseAudio GUI, I only see "headphones" as an option for output devices.

any thoughts? am i missing firmware or something? (i followed the instruction on the wiki for this installer). missing something else? I'm on debian bullseye.
Also, is there a way to search specific threads? (i'll admit, i haven't read all 37 pages of this thread yet)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 944 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,496 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,108 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,180 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 88,277 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,206 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 4,013 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,329 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,223 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,460 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock