Kodi
Will Kodi run on the Pine64 ?
it is clearly annouced, but all messages from kodi,osmc and openelec dev's says the same thing : we won"t do anything with Allwinner hardware

Quote:When AllWinner wish to play ball with the open source community, they will get much better vendor support. I don't see that changing for a while though, with recent moves from AllWinner going as far as renaming symbols in ffmpeg.

Without modern kernel support and good open source support, we would not be able to deliver the experience that people have come to expect from OSMC on this new piece of hardware
Quote:forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192817 

It uses Allwinner chipset which is poorly supported by xbmc and there is no hardware acceleration. 
Pretty sure it will never be supported by OpenELEC.
up Wink
This question was answered here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...d=76#pid76

Based on what we can read in the Linux section of this forum, it seems indeed unlikely that OpenElec or any other Linux based Kodi gets supported on the Pine A64 (or it won't be 1080p).
(01-05-2016, 12:00 PM)Iona Wrote: up Wink

We are currently convincing with Allwinner and working toward Kodi support direction, and i will meet up wit Allwinner folks again on Thursday. However, this takes effort and time.

... TL Lim
ok, thank you Wink
I'm sorry if I sound tough, but... until Kodi makes some moves confirming Allwinner support *maybe* you should remove its logo from your webpage, that is shown below the text "Developed to work with multiple modules and software.", followed by the android logo(TRUE), ubuntu logo (YET NOT TRUE), openHAB logo (IDK if already supported), OpenWRT logo (i doubt its support at this moment) and finally the XBMC logo (which Kodi stated that Allwinner was a no-go right now).

I am no one to tell you how to make business, but that seems unethical sells to me right now.

Please understand that I want the best for this SBC (and also looking for the best for my kickstarter backed product), but this doesn't look good for me...

Best regards,
drag00n.
that seems legit.
around me, a majority of people who attended a kickstarter say they will not pay because of that.
(01-06-2016, 11:44 AM)drag00n Wrote: I'm sorry if I sound tough, but... until Kodi makes some moves confirming Allwinner support *maybe* you should remove its logo from your webpage, that is shown below the text "Developed to work with multiple modules and software.", followed by the android logo(TRUE), ubuntu logo (YET NOT TRUE), openHAB logo (IDK if already supported), OpenWRT logo (i doubt its support at this moment) and finally the XBMC logo (which Kodi stated that Allwinner was a no-go right now).

I am no one to tell you how to make business, but that seems unethical sells to me right now.

Please understand that I want the best for this SBC (and also looking for the best for my kickstarter backed product), but this doesn't look good for me...

Best regards,
drag00n.

So the only true compatibility will be ANDROID?
(01-06-2016, 11:44 AM)drag00n Wrote: I'm sorry if I sound tough, but... until Kodi makes some moves confirming Allwinner support *maybe* you should remove its logo from your webpage, that is shown below the text "Developed to work with multiple modules and software.", followed by the android logo(TRUE), ubuntu logo (YET NOT TRUE), openHAB logo (IDK if already supported), OpenWRT logo (i doubt its support at this moment) and finally the XBMC logo (which Kodi stated that Allwinner was a no-go right now).

This is Kickstarter, not a shop. You pledge to support a project because you believe in taking part in the campaign that will conclude in a few months, and the packages will be available around that time. 

Kodi should be able to run now on Android. You can find videos on Youtube showing Kodi at 4K on the Orange Pi 2 (has same GPU).

An Ubuntu image should be easy to make with existing kernels. If you read in this forum, there is already a rootfs ready. 
It is a similar case with openHAB and OpenWRT. It requires adaptation work but it can work.
(01-07-2016, 04:40 AM)taros Wrote:

This is Kickstarter, not a shop. You pledge to support a project because you believe in taking part in the campaign that will conclude in a few months, and the packages will be available around that time. 

Kodi should be able to run now on Android. You can find videos on Youtube showing Kodi at 4K on the Orange Pi 2 (has same GPU).

An Ubuntu image should be easy to make with existing kernels. If you read in this forum, there is already a rootfs ready. 
It is a similar case with openHAB and OpenWRT. It requires adaptation work but it can work.

Yep. Even if kodi does not support the board, since the board will run android i don't see why you can't use kodi on android.
So if that's ok for you, there shuldn't really be a problem.

Someone correct me if i'm saying something wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  kodi on ubuntu? gychang49 5 7,889 10-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Last Post: gychang49
  kodi install on A64, 2GB gychang49 1 4,910 10-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Kodi xbmc Myrealnameis 3 5,470 06-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Luke
  kodi xbmc for pine mbjpine64 4 6,392 05-22-2016, 02:45 AM
Last Post: mbjpine64
  Pine + KODI jamesnl 1 6,762 02-12-2016, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Ghost