Issue tracking?
(11-09-2019, 08:16 AM)geokon Wrote: I'm likely not aware of some design considerations here,  but I assume the next iteration of the device would just skip the barrel jack entirely? It's a very bizarre design that requires either a special wall wart or a esoteric USB to barrel cable. I'm kinda curious why that was selected. The obviously the ideal solution would be a second USB-C port - or at least a USB-C dummy/power-only port that you sometimes see on SBCs (it doesn't need to do anything crazy to negotiate 12V - just need to wire up the 5V pins)

Again.. there is probably a good reason they didn't do that though

Micro USB ports don't last long, I have a number of devices where that was the charging failure point. USB C lasts longer, but they begin to fail after a few  years too. I for one, am glad the design choice was a barrel jack.

I have not used one, but those nifty magnetic power connectors Apple was (still?) using seemed both durable and less apt to damage the device when someone trips over your cord.
(11-09-2019, 08:16 AM)geokon Wrote: I'm likely not aware of some design considerations here,  but I assume the next iteration of the device would just skip the barrel jack entirely? It's a very bizarre design that requires either a special wall wart or a esoteric USB to barrel cable.

Barrel jacks for power are very common.  So are 5V/3A DC wall warts with barrel plugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

It's simple, economical, mature technology, and parts are widely available.

Just to be clear, I was not saying that connecting the PBP to two different power sources at the same time would damage the computer.  It's possible that the necessary safeguards are in place, but there is no point in taking that risk in the first place.
(11-09-2019, 01:08 PM)zaius Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 08:16 AM)geokon Wrote: I'm likely not aware of some design considerations here,  but I assume the next iteration of the device would just skip the barrel jack entirely? It's a very bizarre design that requires either a special wall wart or a esoteric USB to barrel cable.

Barrel jacks for power are very common.  So are 5V/3A DC wall warts with barrel plugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

It's simple, economical, mature technology, and parts are widely available.
They come in a dozens of different combinations of inner and outer diameter making it rare that two devices will share the same connector, voltage and amperage. You can say they're widely available but they're also largely incompatible.  You end up having to get some calipers out and ordering something online each time a wall wart fails. The wall warts are also generally bulky and of questionable quality/efficiency.

The only advantage over a proprietary connector is that there is less price gouging (well unless it's something completely wacky like a barrel jack to USB-A cable)

Everything has pretty much standardized on the USB-C connector for power now. At 5V especially.. it's a non-brainer . Everyone has a USB-A 5V charger and most of the time you don't even need a wall wart b/c you have USB jacks available at airports, TVs, power banks, etc.

Barrel jacks are more useless than VGA connectors Smile
* Barrel Jacks are definitely more durable, though with a 90 degree connector they are even better yet !

I would think there could possibly be a security risk to plugging in a usb-c into your device in a public place such as an airport or cafe ?

There perhaps a usb cable to barrel connector so only power enters your device.

There is a reason almost every laptop made uses a type of barrel connector,

AND laptops have less problems with their charging ports than cell phones do...

LINUX is about choices :
You can state why YOU prefer your usb-c, but DO NOT condemn my choice for the tried n true connector (My Choice)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-08-2019, 06:03 AM)Arwen Wrote: @Der Geist der Maschine,

If I understand it correctly, user time is simply the sum of the separate worker threads.

So it makes perfect sense that 1 thread takes 63 minutes real time, 64 minutes user time.
And 2 threads take 33 minutes real time, 64 minutes user time.

Whence the little cores come in the play, it's less of a change, but of course we WANT the user time to increase. The is where the real work is done. As long as the real time is lower.

Yes, your understanding is correct and everything makes perfect sense Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with immediate issue jasonumd 1 919 03-04-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: hacknix
  suckless surf on arch linux pinebook pro scrolling issue gehn5 0 940 04-16-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: gehn5
Question USB-C Video Out Issue dev 2 1,807 02-08-2022, 07:28 PM
Last Post: dev
Bug [Fixed] Issue with mesa-git (Manjaro ARM Stable Update 2020-09-22)) JasonG-FR 20 21,291 12-12-2020, 05:09 AM
Last Post: mogwai
  Pinebook Pro PCIe init issue R32Fanboy 4 5,160 11-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Last Post: vssz
  Boot issue (red light) pineitup 10 9,854 11-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot issue DarrowAtreides 0 1,677 10-29-2020, 07:23 AM
Last Post: DarrowAtreides
  Issue with screeen tilers - Anyone can recommend? motezart 0 1,583 10-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: motezart
  [AUG 2020] PBP Battery Issue (?) mercato 7 7,346 09-22-2020, 12:10 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Graphics issue on ubuntu bionic das 0 1,654 08-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Last Post: das