Textures or photography
7.27%
Humor
3.64%
55 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Skins for the community
(11-11-2019, 09:40 AM)Luke Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 10:07 AM)Tekchip Wrote: I've recently had my PBP apart. I hadn't updated uboot to boot SD without the hardware switch thrown and I borked the eMMC install. oops. That's not my point. My point is I noticed the PBP processor is using a heat transfer pad to transfer heat to the bottom panel. So the bottom panel appears to be an active part of the cooling system. We'd probably want someone from Pine to let us know if we're putting our hardware at risk of heat issues if we're adding an extra layer over the bottom panel.

If the answer is "that would be bad" maybe there's a way to design a skin with a cut out that allows the heat out but maintains the design. Maybe the pine cone part of the logo could be cut out and offset to match where the heat transfer pad contacts leaving some black metal exposed to dissipate heat but that's also part of the lower skins design.

If I'm not explaining clearly please let me know and I can draw some pictures or something.

You won't put your PBP at risk of overheating using a skin on it. The SOC will downclock long before any damage can be caused. Moreover, I doubt that the skin will seriously obstruct heat dissipation.

After using my PBP for hours I feel the place where the cpu pad touches the lower case,
it is barely noticeably warmer than any other part of the lower case.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Palmrest skins please! Smile
crap, forgot about this - will get back soon. Also, sorry.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(11-25-2019, 05:57 PM)Luke Wrote: crap, forgot about this - will get back soon. Also, sorry.

Alright! I hope they've sent it to you, I have a lot of free time at work right now. Would be pretty easy to our templates set up over today and tomorrow.
There you go, the file is here

If you're on Linux then you'll need DraftSight to open it the .dwg file.

Now get cracking Smile

(11-27-2019, 11:13 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 11:11 AM)Luke Wrote: There you go, the file is in the attachment.

Now get cracking Smile

YEAH! I was just lamenting for something to do! However, I cannot see the mentioned attachment.

Turns out forum doesn't even allow admins to link potentially dangerous files Wink updated with a FireFox link.

[edit] could you toss it up on WiKi too when you've got a moment?

(11-27-2019, 11:14 AM)Luke Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 11:13 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 11:11 AM)Luke Wrote: There you go, the file is in the attachment.

Now get cracking Smile

YEAH! I was just lamenting for something to do! However, I cannot see the mentioned attachment.

Turns out forum doesn't even allow admins to link potentially dangerous files Wink updated with a FireFox link.

[edit] could you toss it up on WiKi too when you've got a moment?

Will do! If there's a suggested page, just let me know.

EDIT: DWG file has been added to the Specifications section of the PBP wiki page.

If anyone wants to tackle this in a vector program, be warned! This export may not have properly tagged measurement units (existing software fault) and the drawings will likely have to be rescaled to actual size.

I'm working on cleaning up the file in Illustrator right now and intend to make PDFs of the relevant case sections available afterward. But first I need to filter out the parts we don't/won't need (like the sides of the case,) but that is going to require a bunch of manual measuring to ensure that each drawing is correctly rescaled to the actual dimensions. Hopefully, I'll have the files up by the end of the weekend. (Holiday first, then fun.)

EDIT2: I've uploaded the DWG, and layered AI and PDF with each view of the PBP as their own layer/group. Rescaling is not done yet, I don't have the measuring tools available at work that I would prefer to use to get accurate measurements. I'm going to pull the base dimensions and apply them where I obviously can, but if anyone else would like to go through the files to see which views we need measurements for, it'd be very helpful!

If you do download the PDF, do NOT use a PDF viewer. Each view is very large and will not display on the "page." You need to be able to zoom out to see the canvas contents.

EDIT3: 8/12 drawings have been rescaled and will be visible on the canvas now, but they all share the same canvas, so a vector editing program will still be best. The remaining 4 drawings are of profile views, so they likely will be removed from the files. As I make progress, I am uploading new versions of the AI and PDF files to the GDrive link given.
Looks like the template files will have to come later. I started them on the most recent Illustrator, and after updating my home install of Illustrator crashes seconds after opening. I tried to use a prerelease version, but they've done something with their installers so that my system sees the installers as corrupted. I'm sure I'll still have time at work, so I'll work on them there, since we only need the 3: palm rest, lid, and bottom. Sorry if I disappointed anyone. I'm pretty bummed out Adobe and their latest trend of pushing such horrid updates.
(12-01-2019, 03:36 PM)tophneal Wrote: Looks like the template files will have to come later. I started them on the most recent Illustrator, and after updating my home install of Illustrator crashes seconds after opening. I tried to use a prerelease version, but they've done something with their installers so that my system sees the installers as corrupted. I'm sure I'll still have time at work, so I'll work on them there, since we only need the 3: palm rest, lid, and bottom. Sorry if I disappointed anyone. I'm pretty bummed out Adobe and their latest trend of pushing such horrid updates.

Easy, there's no rush Wink

Haha, I don't think anyones so hurt they couldn't beat me to the punch! They'll get over it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Community Wallpapers tophneal 15 14,375 06-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Last Post: SpoofyKid
  Just a thank you of creating a community device that makes HW fun again gabeeg 1 2,923 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro Community pre-order ending / public pre-order open on 25th Luke 8 12,728 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: mjsabby