A true mainline Linux Kernel for the Pinebook Pro
(11-11-2019, 07:26 AM)danielt Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 06:16 PM)Luke Wrote: Second of all, suspend is always a pain on mainline; what is your gut feeling re. getting suspend to work for the PBP?

suspend-to-idle works and does save a little power. Using the built in battery monitor (which happily takes quite a long time to observe changes so I can peek just after a wake up) then the system is consuming 0.5A whilst suspended to idle versus somewhere between 0.7A and 0.8A with just the backlight disabled. This is enough to be useful to conserve battery life in long meetings but I wouldn't want to leave it sleeping in my bag.

So far I have not been able to wake the machine after suspending-to-ram. Thus enabling suspend to idle (echo s2idle | sudo tee /sys/power/mem_sleep or the tmpfiles.d equivalent) is a good idea for the time being since that way you can leave all the suspend machinary in your desktop environment in the default settings.

Indeed, this does sound like a viable work-around for the time being. Nice, thanks. CC @tsys
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(11-11-2019, 06:01 AM)danielt Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 05:36 PM)tsys Wrote: No. Unfortunately it is a crash of the firmware in the ap6255 wifi module. However, I've found another firmware binary in my firmware collection that seems to work a lot more stable. Haven't seen it crash in the past 5 hours or so. I'll keep it running over night  and see if it is indeed stable.

Interesting. In that case WiFi has been fully stable for me :-).

... until today, when it appears to be barely alive.

Not sure if this is bad luck, imprecise testing or because I have changed something.  Angry Will do a bit of digging.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(11-11-2019, 11:41 AM)danielt Wrote: ... until today, when it appears to be barely alive.

Not sure if this is bad luck, imprecise testing or because I have changed something.  Angry Will do a bit of digging.

I've seen similar behaviour. Sometimes it is rock solid, other times it is really flaky. Was stable for me in the last 18 hours, too (which is unfortunate since I do want it to crash for debugging).
Manjaro ARM

Kernel dev
Buy me a coffee
(11-11-2019, 12:25 PM)tsys Wrote: I've seen similar behaviour. Sometimes it is rock solid, other times it is really flaky.

I noticed with my unit that WiFi gets unstable when CPU temperature rises under load until the point WiFi just "powers down".
(11-09-2019, 09:23 AM)tsys Wrote: Major News:
Audio is now working \o/
Was just a simple matter of setting up the iomux correctly

Though as I've mentionned in the Manjaro thread, that current settings leaves the speakers always on, a let their amp floating when there's no sound being playing and the speaker picking up random electrical noise.
(When sound is playing the noise disappears).

But still, big thanks for your work!
(11-12-2019, 09:43 AM)DrYak Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 09:23 AM)tsys Wrote: Major News:
Audio is now working \o/
Was just a simple matter of setting up the iomux correctly

Though as I've mentionned in the Manjaro thread, that current settings leaves the speakers always on, a let their amp floating when there's no sound being playing and the speaker picking up random electrical noise.
(When sound is playing the noise disappears).

But still, big thanks for your work!

Fixed  Wink https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/linux-pi...c3af996dce
Manjaro ARM

Kernel dev
Buy me a coffee
Yay! Your kernel is getting cooler and more useful by the minute !!! :-D
(11-12-2019, 12:42 PM)tsys Wrote: Fixed  Wink https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/linux-pi...c3af996dce

Quickly tested it yesterday (by decompiling the .dtb with dtc, patching, recompiling). Works for me.
Saw this morning that you published a kernel upgrade, I'll give it a try later (but it should work the same)

Sound-wise, the only outstanding issues are:
- Speaker DAC not being turned on by default.
- Speaker and Headphone jack always outputing simultaneously, thus only a single output port in pulseaudio and no way to switch from one to another upon jack-plugged.

But the noise reduction is a huge win. Thanks for fixing the audio routing in the dtb
(11-13-2019, 03:34 AM)DrYak Wrote: Sound-wise, the only outstanding issues are:
- Speaker DAC not being turned on by default.

You are talking about the default mixer settings I guess? That will be fixed in the next Manjaro preview by providing a suitable asound.state file.

(11-13-2019, 03:34 AM)DrYak Wrote: - Speaker and Headphone jack always outputing simultaneously, thus only a single output port in pulseaudio and no way to switch from one to another upon jack-plugged.

Yeah. That is a little annoying. I'm currently planing to change the simple-audio-card and maybe even the simple-audio-amplifier to add a kcontrol mixer that is auto-muted when a plug is inserted into the headphone jack. That should make it work.
I fear that having actual jack switching through pulse audio (enabling speakers while headphones are pugged in) might not be possible but I will investigate it anyways.
Manjaro ARM

Kernel dev
Buy me a coffee
I am reading this thread with bated breath Smile

You guys are incredible and the pace of your work is just blistering.

Thanks a lot for everything !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 801 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,426 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 308 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,066 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,140 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 87,880 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,170 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,251 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,138 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,421 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock