Has anyone tried to install Gnome 3 desktop?
Lightbulb 
Hi All,

I've yet to receive my Pinebook Pro, as I failed to intercept the DHL delivery person before they got to the delivery office on my work site. It's not sat in postal purgatory until Monday. Sad

However, something that I'm interested in is the possibility of running Gnome 3 desktop on the Pinebook Pro. There are already a few Linux builds using the MATE and KDE desktop environments. As far as I'm aware, Gnome 3 looks to be roughly similar to these in terms of system resource usage.

Ben
Try on the Ubuntu image please.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(11-02-2019, 10:55 AM)Luke Wrote: Try on the Ubuntu image please.

Why not the Debian one?

Ben
(11-02-2019, 01:17 PM)Feakster Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:55 AM)Luke Wrote: Try on the Ubuntu image please.

Why not the Debian one?

Ben

I had problems getting acceleration in KDE on Debian - in Ubuntu it 'just worked', hence my suggestion.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch, But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
(It has to do with the new MIT wayland changes)
Some have argued they can make it work, but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work.... I am not one to argue with them.
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome..... Gnome does work still on many Distro's IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is) but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

Update :

Apparently they have the Gnome desktop working now on the mainstream Debian.
But immediately following Busters release there was notice that Gnome did not get along with the new 'Wayland'
I spent a whole day looking through their release notes back then and did not discover much.
I am really glad they resolved the conflict... !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
ADD:/edit
Ubuntu was my first favorite operating system, but I do feel they are not open about their built-in trackers.....
since I learned about the 'Amazon Eye' (and others)......
"Kind of like Google" but more hidden.. ! No fine print "disclosures"
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Question 
(11-02-2019, 08:30 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch,   But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
 Some have argued they can make it work,  but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work....  I am not one to argue with them.    
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome.....  Gnome does work still on many Distro's  IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is)  but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

Hi,

But doesn't the latest version of Debian (Buster) come with Gnome 3 as the default desktop?

Ben
Question 
(11-02-2019, 08:30 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Feakster:
Gnome works great on Debian Stretch,   But within the original OFFICIAL release notes for Debian Buster they say it will no longer work with the Gnome desktop...
 Some have argued they can make it work,  but if the official distribution writers themselves say it will not work....  I am not one to argue with them.    
Mate works with Buster and is supposed to be based on Gnome.....  Gnome does work still on many Distro's  IF you must use it.
Gnome was my first Favorite Linux Desktop (and still is)  but Debian is my preferred "Cleanest" operating system.

Would budgie work on the Debian build?

Ben
(11-02-2019, 10:25 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ADD:/edit
 Ubuntu was my first favorite operating  system,  but I do feel they are not open about their built-in trackers.....
"Kind of like Google"  but more hidden.. !  No fine print "disclosures"

Ubuntu has built-in trackers? Huh
(11-03-2019, 07:32 AM)zaius Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:25 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ADD:/edit
 Ubuntu was my first favorite operating  system,  but I do feel they are not open about their built-in trackers.....
"Kind of like Google"  but more hidden.. !  No fine print "disclosures"

Ubuntu has built-in trackers? Huh

Yes, bcnaz, would you say more about that?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attempting to install Void Linux, boots into a black screen 9a3eedi 0 208 02-18-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 9a3eedi
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,830 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,426 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 3,829 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Blank screen after Armbian 20.04 install to emmc? psychoacoustic 3 3,345 04-01-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Rainbow How to prevent the screen from dimming (no X/wm/desktop)? cowsay 0 495 02-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: cowsay
  unsuccessful re-install of OS for PineBookPro Valiance 3 1,204 02-14-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Valiance
  Tow Boot install help Paulie420 7 3,575 11-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Last Post: myself600
  How can I install Debian? ImmyChan 1 1,924 10-19-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: alpopa
Information Install Void Linux with near-full-disk encryption dumetrulo 3 2,951 09-05-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: petersen77