Development Environment on the Pinebook Pro
Looking for some clarifications here. I'm a Linux newbie - learning the basics and getting into coding, I've settled on VS Code along with PlatformIO for Arduino/Pi projects. But I can't seem to get PlatformIO to install on the "Steve Desmond" or "Headmelted" versions of VSCode.

It will install, tell me to reload the window, which I do, and then proceed to reinstall again and again. It's getting stuck in a loop for some reason, but doesn't tell me what the error is.

Does anyone else have PlatformIO working on VS Code installed on their Pinebook Pro?

I'm very confident that I'm missing something simple, so please, be gentle Smile
Seems to install fine on the VSCodium variant.
(02-04-2020, 04:04 PM)Cephas Wrote: Looking for some clarifications here. I'm a Linux newbie - learning the basics and getting into coding, I've settled on VS Code along with PlatformIO for Arduino/Pi projects. But I can't seem to get PlatformIO to install on the "Steve Desmond" or "Headmelted" versions of VSCode.

It will install, tell me to reload the window, which I do, and then proceed to reinstall again and again. It's getting stuck in a loop for some reason, but doesn't tell me what the error is.

Does anyone else have PlatformIO working on VS Code installed on their Pinebook Pro?

I'm very confident that I'm missing something simple, so please, be gentle Smile

I haven't been able to get it working either. I am using VSCodium. If i remember, it does the same loop but shows a status box in bottom left saying it failed, click this box for details and it complains about unsupported architecture. slyecho has given me hope so will try again. Thanks for posting. Did you have Success?
(02-05-2020, 08:14 PM)gristle Wrote: I haven't been able to get it working either. I am using VSCodium. If i remember, it does the same loop but shows a status box in bottom left saying it failed, click this box for details and it complains about unsupported architecture. slyecho has given me hope so will try again. Thanks for posting. Did you have Success?

Nope, nothing yet. I downloaded the most recent arm64.deb package from here: https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/releases

When I try to install it, I get this error in the package installer: 
Error: 
Wrong architecture 'arm64' --
Run dpkg --
add-
architecture
to add it and update afterwards

I tried to run that dpkg command, but get an error in the terminal from it. 

Seems impossible that I don't have the arm64 architecture, right? This is an arm64 computer...I looked in the Synaptic Package Manager for arm64 and just get a bunch of cross compatibility options...

UPDATE: I was able to install the armhf version from that github page, but it's still not working correctly. PlatformIO just tries to reinstall again and again.

On top that, the armhf version is giving me an error saying "Architecture arm is not supported"
I have headmelted on the PBP but also run a VS Code server on a free public cloud which I can access via web browser where I want to run on x86 architectures etc. I put a link in the tutorial section on setting it up.
(02-04-2020, 05:07 PM)slyecho Wrote: Seems to install fine on the VSCodium variant.

(02-05-2020, 08:14 PM)gristle Wrote: slyecho has given me hope so will try again.

To be clear, I am using Manjaro ARM, and I installed VSCodium from an AUR package. Then the extension from the gallery. I didn't try connecting with an Arduino, though.
Hello,

I've created a package build script for atom and built it for manjaro linux (see releases).
If you are interested in, look at https://github.com/gophix/pinebook_pro and test it. So far I've installed PlatformIO, but nothing more...

Cheers!
On a fairly vanilla manjaro system (by that I mean I've installed some stuff but not a lot of development tools) you need at the very least to add
Code:
sudo pacman -S fakeroot binutils electron patch
You could easily need other things if it is a truly fresh install.

Otherwise, script worked great and took about an hour I would guess -  I was a away a decent time period.  Also, for those who don't realize it, the last command
Code:
sudo pacman -R atom
Will uninstall atom, which is doubtful you would want to do right away.

Thanks
Anybody having an issue with vscodium-bin 1.47.0-1 that was released today?  It starts...but I get just a blank VScodium screen with menus that will drop down...but nothing else responds....

Before I enter a bug, I would like verification...
(07-10-2020, 12:49 PM)gabeeg Wrote: Anybody having an issue with vscodium-bin 1.47.0-1 that was released today?  It starts...but I get just a blank VScodium screen with menus that will drop down...but nothing else responds....

Before I enter a bug, I would like verification...

I just installed it and it won't start here either. It shows a blank window with the usual minimize, exit, etc. buttons and the cromium logo in the status bar.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 446 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,120 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,919 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,980 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,648 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 994 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,926 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,325 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,426 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 607 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap