PBP WiKi is up - do your share
Yes, having a non-flat structure with branches like a directory structure sounds good. Except I also like PDFs for offline use since I have a horrible internet connection. There could be a script somewhere on the server that hosts the wiki running nightly that cranks out a nice PDF with hyperlinks from the current wiki material. So one (zipped?) download gets the whole thing at once. Think e-book. Making a PDF in a web browser can't do that.
I have on multiple occasions tried to buy replacement parts for my Pinebook Pro, like screws or now these rubber stands. I was thinking about sharing the links to these parts, which have worked well for me.  Could a Wiki page be the right place to do this?
(05-18-2020, 04:41 PM)waweic Wrote: I have on multiple occasions tried to buy replacement parts for my Pinebook Pro, like screws or now these rubber stands. I was thinking about sharing the links to these parts, which have worked well for me.  Could a Wiki page be the right place to do this?

Yes, please do use the Wiki for this
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Kind reminder to keep the OS release section up-to-date. I did it today, but would appreciate if someone would check in once in a blue moon and see if something that was announced is missing.

Last week I added the OpenBSD release, though it's more of a first attempt.
Looked and did not find enough support for FreeBSD, so I did not add it.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(05-27-2020, 02:39 PM)Arwen Wrote: Last week I added the OpenBSD release, though it's more of a first attempt.
Looked and did not find enough support for FreeBSD, so I did not add it.

Thanks, appreciate it!
Don't know how to link the new OS builds I added in an elegant way on the main page if you'd like to take a shot at that.

I find the wiki helpful up to a point, because when you have to do something, you are directed, in many cases, to posts. The posts are good to get answers and learn from other people experience, but as things are evolving so fast, you don't need to go trough the mistakes of other people and it takes ages to find the last working solution.
My last experience installing and booting from NVMe was a real nightmare. By the way, the same on a RPI 4 took some 45 minutes and with the PBP 15 days (thanks to confinement).
I think that when a solution for a problem is reached, it should go to a sub-page of the wiki or a pdf that you can have and use.

Sorry if what I say sounds as critic, it is not my intention. Just a small contribution from a non expert user.

Thanks you all for your effort.
Carlos.
(06-17-2020, 11:42 AM)CLC Wrote: I find the wiki helpful up to a point, because when you have to do something, you are directed, in many cases, to posts. The posts are good to get answers and learn from other people experience, but as things are evolving so fast, you don't need to go trough the mistakes of other people and it takes ages to find the last working solution.
My last experience installing and booting from NVMe was a real nightmare. By the way, the same on a RPI 4 took some 45 minutes and with the PBP 15 days (thanks to confinement).
I think that when a solution for a problem is reached, it should go to a sub-page of the wiki or a pdf that you can have and use.

Sorry if what I say sounds as critic, it is not my intention. Just a small contribution from a non expert user.

Carlos.

After bricking my PBP more than one time with flashing U-Boot i handled it in this way
  1. install partitionmanger or gparted
  2. format the NVMe and make one partition with EXT4 on it
  3. mount the newly created NVMe partition to /mnt
  4. "cd /mnt"
  5. "mkdir dev proc sys mnt"
  6. "rsync -aHxv --numeric-ids --progress /* /mnt --exclude=/dev --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/mnt"
  7. start partitionmanager KDE or gparted
  8. edit the partition and rename the original partition label from "MNJRO_ROOT to MNJRO_ROOT_1 on the SD card or for me on the EMMC
  9. edit and rename the partition label of the NVMe partition to MNJRO_ROOT
  10. apply all changes and reboot
Now the PBP boots from /boot on the EMMC and mounts / from the NVMe
Mission accomplished and no need for u-boot updates or renewals
NO warranties that it works the same way on other PBP's of other users !!!!
(06-17-2020, 11:42 AM)CLC Wrote: I find the wiki helpful up to a point, because when you have to do something, you are directed, in many cases, to posts. The posts are good to get answers and learn from other people experience, but as things are evolving so fast, you don't need to go trough the mistakes of other people and it takes ages to find the last working solution.

Carlos.
Yes, you are correct. The Wiki is not yet a perfect place for trouble shooting. I hope to have a the Pinebook Pro trouble shooting section on it's own page. And any long or complicated work / fix would also be on it's own page. But, it's not there yet. Most have general answers, partly because the OS was changed from Debian to Manjaro. And partly because people had multiple problems, with something, that ended up with different solutions. A bit hard to fine tune the trouble shooting guide.

If I can, I will also write some guides on certain processes. Like installing Grub for boot time menus.

Do check the Forum's Tutorial section. There are some clear processes their. For example, I managed to get Citrix ICAClient working. A bit of a hack, but it does work for me.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I moved the troubleshooting section to a page of its own because the main page was getting unwieldy, and make a few small improvements, I hope people are happy with this, it makes it easier to edit when it's shorter.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinebook pro wiki link on the website links to the wrong wiki entry Julius_GU 0 1,314 02-11-2021, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Julius_GU
  Pinebook Pro not powering on / not booting (tried things listed in wiki/forum) kiefer 16 18,373 02-24-2020, 08:04 PM
Last Post: kiefer
  How about a wiki link in the promo page? ab1jx 1 2,703 02-23-2020, 06:05 PM
Last Post: ab1jx
  tutorial in the forum or on the wiki for boot/bios chris_heath 1 4,737 11-18-2019, 03:54 AM
Last Post: evilbunny