Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions
(08-11-2022, 05:10 PM)jpalus Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 06:08 AM)Nuurd Wrote: The one part I feel somewhat confused by is a periodic, fairly loud "click" that seems to be coming from the speaker. It's difficult to intentionally reproduce, but not super rare in practice. I even heard it after doing a software mute.

Has anyone else heard this, and might could give insight as to what system events might cause it?

My guess would go to pulseaudio/pipewire suspending audio device on idle and bringing it back on when some is trying to access audio. Something like:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAu...g_playback

I would check it myself but my internal audio device is disabled in pipewire configuration, speakers physically disconnected and jumper is in position to enable serial console in headphone jack. Did my best to kill the thing.

The description of the issue in that wiki sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing, however the fixes listed in the wiki do not seem to resolve the issue for me.
I opened a thread on the same issue as described by Stickman before I saw his report: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17142
I just got mine a little over a week ago & I love it!!

Hit some issues (software, not hardware) trying different distros, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed.

Paired it up with a powered USB hub for my external drives & everything's working fine.

Great work on this!, it’s a perfect compliment to my other devices.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(08-12-2022, 09:49 PM)Stickman Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 05:10 PM)jpalus Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 06:08 AM)Nuurd Wrote: The one part I feel somewhat confused by is a periodic, fairly loud "click" that seems to be coming from the speaker. It's difficult to intentionally reproduce, but not super rare in practice. I even heard it after doing a software mute.

Has anyone else heard this, and might could give insight as to what system events might cause it?

My guess would go to pulseaudio/pipewire suspending audio device on idle and bringing it back on when some is trying to access audio. Something like:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAu...g_playback

I would check it myself but my internal audio device is disabled in pipewire configuration, speakers physically disconnected and jumper is in position to enable serial console in headphone jack. Did my best to kill the thing.

The description of the issue in that wiki sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing, however the fixes listed in the wiki do not seem to resolve the issue for me.

You can try to stop the audio device from powering down. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...7#pid91697
After playing with it for a month or so, pretty seriously, I'm a little surprised at the number of people on YouTube doing unboxings and reactions and describing the PBP as a "fully Open-Source Chromebook". Frankly, that's the wrong answer and anyone that goes into the PBP with that expectation is going to be disappointed. To me, it's much more the 64-bit Raspberry Pi laptop that I've always wanted. I suspect that Pine could make a mint if they'd design and start selling a USB-based 40-pin GPIO header.

For me, the big reason that I bought one was that my professional skills were getting a bit stale and I think that IoT-style devices are where my business will be going in the future. That, plus the fact that I haven't done any real OS-level programming since college (in the early '90's, so we only had 4 instructions back then), made me want to grab a Pi. The problem was that the Pi was not self-supporting. You have to have a KVM interface for it, whereas the PBP has everything that you need to write code. And you can take it with you.

I love the thing, and can't wait to buy a RISC-V based PBP.

CC
(10-01-2019, 05:17 PM)odinson Wrote:
(10-01-2019, 04:03 PM)kunger Wrote: One thing that really stands out to me is the keyboard. The keys feel just firm enough with no sponginess. It really is a pleasure to type on.

That's music to my ears. Thank you.
No question about it; the keyboard is absolutely first rate.
 while(!(succeed=try()));
OK, MY initial impression is that it's a Manjaro boat anchor. I don't want Manjaro. I want Ubuntu, more useful for all my projects than Manjaro. Couldn't figure out how to upgrade, or boot to SD card, or install another OS...NOTHING! BUT ALL MY DISPLAY PIXELS WORK if anyone at Pine64 is interested. Not interested in returning. Just interested in making it more useful. I got Windows laptops running Ubuntu. Why is this so difficult and complicated? I was truly shocked at what I received.
(11-17-2022, 12:52 PM)GreyHobbyist Wrote: OK, MY initial impression is that it's a Manjaro boat anchor. I don't want Manjaro. I want Ubuntu, more useful for all my projects than Manjaro. Couldn't figure out how to upgrade, or boot to SD card, or install another OS...NOTHING! BUT ALL MY DISPLAY PIXELS WORK if anyone at Pine64 is interested. Not interested in returning. Just interested in making it more useful. I got Windows laptops running Ubuntu. Why is this so difficult and complicated? I was truly shocked at what I received.

the inability to boot from sd is def a bug in the uboot installed with the shipped Manjaro, but with about 5m time, you can get around it to boot an SD. The wiki has instructions concerning disabling the eMMC to boot to an SD again, and to bind it once booted to SD so you can install to it
Brand new Pinebook Pro. I'm OK living with Manjaro, but... about one time in four when I open the lid it tells me to go to another console and use loginctl to unlock. Ouch. And about one time in three my entire session is wiped, so I have to restart web browser, terminals, and such. And I see sdcard boot is broken, but I could fix that. So if Debian or something works more reliably, please note that in the comments? TIA!
:dodgy: tophneal
(11-17-2022, 12:52 PM)GreyHobbyist Wrote: OK, MY initial impression is that it's a Manjaro boat anchor. I don't want Manjaro. I want Ubuntu, more useful for all my projects than Manjaro. Couldn't figure out how to upgrade, or boot to SD card, or install another OS...NOTHING! BUT ALL MY DISPLAY PIXELS WORK if anyone at Pine64 is interested. Not interested in returning. Just interested in making it more useful. I got Windows laptops running Ubuntu. Why is this so difficult and complicated? I was truly shocked at what I received.

the inability to boot from sd is def a bug in the uboot installed with the shipped Manjaro, but with about 5m time, you can get around it to boot an SD. The wiki has instructions concerning disabling the eMMC to boot to an SD again, and to bind it once booted to SD so you can install to it

I find it difficult to believe that Pine64 has not insisted  that Manjaro repair the mess they made of the bootloader or, if they refused, that Pine64 didn't drop Manjaro totally.  If Manjaro (and for that matter, Pine64) are that disinterested or self-serving, especially in view of the number of complaints, then neither is worthy of our business.  Pity  is that it's a damned fine box which has been hobbled unnecessarily by a bunch of apparent turkeys, and at the expense of people who purchased in good faith..
 while(!(succeed=try()));

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,908 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 302 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 229 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 621 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,230 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,000 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,148 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt