pinereader ?
What is the chance to see in the future, a pinereader ? A reader like kindle or kobo ?
Theses screens are perfect for our eyes, to read books and theses devices have very long battery life.
Would love to see such devices in pine store  Cool
In someways they are just too epensive to try and reproduce. With Amazon selling the low end eReaders for less than $100 USD, and very well designed overall, it's hard to make an entry at this point in time. Further, while I can and do read books that are free on my own Kindle eBook reader, many are DRM'ed. Any open source eBook reader would not likely support DRM on it's books. (Whether that's a technical issue, or political issue...)

There are a few things that could set an open source eReader apart;

- Speaker and or bluetooth support for audio books. (Both, if un-used won't take power.)
- Color eInk display for graphic novels / comic books, (it may be limited colors, and too expensive, a normal tablet would probably be better)
- Simple apps beyond eBook reading, like calculator, E-Mail or text messaging, (if you don't use them, they don't take power)
- MicroSDXC card slot

Yet every one of those things costs money.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(09-05-2019, 05:55 PM)Arwen Wrote: In someways they are just too epensive to try and reproduce. With Amazon selling the low end eReaders for less than $100 USD, and very well designed overall, it's hard to make an entry at this point in time. Further, while I can and do read books that are free on my own Kindle eBook reader, many are DRM'ed. Any open source eBook reader would not likely support DRM on it's books. (Whether that's a technical issue, or political issue...)

- Speaker and or bluetooth support for audio books. (Both, if un-used won't take power.)
- Color eInk display for graphic novels / comic books, (it may be limited colors, and too expensive, a normal tablet would probably be better)
- Simple apps beyond eBook reading, like calculator, E-Mail or text messaging, (if you don't use them, they don't take power)
- MicroSDXC card slot

Very correct. Those Kindles are both subsidized and their price is also an effect of economies of scale. Very difficult to compete in this space.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-05-2019, 06:42 PM)Luke Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 05:55 PM)Arwen Wrote: In someways they are just too epensive to try and reproduce. With Amazon selling the low end eReaders for less than $100 USD, and very well designed overall, it's hard to make an entry at this point in time. Further, while I can and do read books that are free on my own Kindle eBook reader, many are DRM'ed. Any open source eBook reader would not likely support DRM on it's books. (Whether that's a technical issue, or political issue...)

- MicroSDXC card slot

Very correct. Those Kindles are both subsidized and their price is also an effect of economies of scale. Very difficult to compete in this space.

Ok. Toob bad, but I get your point.
If device have bash, ssh and of course mc , bc Wink
and working on wifi more than 24 h per one charge I will buy it.