Multia (alpha) innards replacement
I have an old Multia.  As commonly happens to them, it overheated.  I kept the old system thinking that it's case would make a nice enclosure for something.  Then, SBCs started coming out.  I thought when a cheaper SBC with a 64bit RISC processor came out, that would be good fit.

Multias are DEC Alpha based systems.  The do not have a BIOS, but SRM and ARC firmware.  UEFI and the command line EFI shell seem to have come from it's design.  It is where I really started using Linux, first RedHat (not EL) version 6 then Gentoo.  Alpha's typically used OSF/1 (Digital UNIX) or OpenVMS.

When I read this article: The Pine A64 is about to become the cheapest ARM 64-bit platform to run Docker and looked into FEL, I thought, here is my what belongs in the old Multia.

So, my thought is to treat the Pine 64+ (2Gig) as the base of a home-brew like system using another SBC, maybe a Pi0, for FEL, to act as it's SRM (boot loader and shell).  I have an old Radio Shack keyboard that would be fun to wire through an Atmel AVR as a keyboard controller.  And to reflect it's OSF/1 heritage, run FreeBSD on it.  It will need other support like MAX232 to connect Pine's TTL serial to the RS-232 port.
FEL is not supposed to be used for booting the board normally. It's in fact designed to be a recovery mode, which requires communication with a desktop PC (or another ARM board) over a USB cable. Yes, you can use another board as a supplier of the bootloader, but sunxi-tools need some improvements to support this use case well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine64 as squeezebox touch replacement Learnincurve 12 27,600 01-13-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  PogoPlug replacement virtuallyunlimited 1 3,751 05-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Luke