Pinephone - likely long term support?
I’m on board with the privacy and security arguments in favor of a (non-Android) Linux phone. That alone pretty much guarantees that my next phone won’t be Android..  

Another aspect of Linux that appeals to me is that it is more environmentally friendly. Rather than forced redundancy when the manufacturer of my devices decides to stop providing updates (bigger issue with phones than laptops/pcs), I can keep running Linux for much longer – thus reducing resource consumption, landfill etc. However, as relates to phones in particular – my understanding is that ARM devices often have custom kernels. Many of the distros for Pine SBCs have custom kernels rather than mainline Linux kernels.

So.. at long last, my question: is my understanding about custom kernels correct, and if so what does that mean for long term support for a device like the Pine Phone? (Of course, I hope Pine will be around for a long time!) I suppose, being open source there could well be community support for as long as people with the know-how remain interested..
Seems getting stuck using older kernels is mainly a problem for 32-bit ARM chips. I know my Google Nexus 5 is still using an ancient kernel even with the latest UBports Ubuntu Touch based on 16.04. 64-bit drivers seem to get mainlined eventually though. It's to the point now with the Raspberry Pi that you really don't need to use the Pi Foundation's custom kernel at all.
(07-09-2019, 11:01 AM)yangmusa Wrote: I’m on board with the privacy and security arguments in favor of a (non-Android) Linux phone. That alone pretty much guarantees that my next phone won’t be Android..  

Another aspect of Linux that appeals to me is that it is more environmentally friendly. Rather than forced redundancy when the manufacturer of my devices decides to stop providing updates (bigger issue with phones than laptops/pcs), I can keep running Linux for much longer – thus reducing resource consumption, landfill etc. However, as relates to phones in particular – my understanding is that ARM devices often have custom kernels. Many of the distros for Pine SBCs have custom kernels rather than mainline Linux kernels.

So.. at long last, my question: is my understanding about custom kernels correct, and if so what does that mean for long term support for a device like the Pine Phone? (Of course, I hope Pine will be around for a long time!) I suppose, being open source there could well be community support for as long as people with the know-how remain interested..

Most of the PinePhone OS based on milineline Linux kernel.
meybe UE give any coins for long term support and no electro - trash devices Wink
Also interested in the environmental angle. I realise the considerations for the Pinephone are different to something like the Fairphone. Will the Pinephone be an entirely conventionally sourced and produced item, or will there be any ethically sourced materials? How 'modular' and user replaceable are the innards? (I understand that there is the option to add functionality via the rear pins).
(09-27-2019, 05:27 AM)vgnmnky Wrote: Also interested in the environmental angle.  I realise the considerations for the Pinephone are different to something like the Fairphone.  Will the Pinephone be an entirely conventionally sourced and produced item, or will there be any ethically sourced materials?  How 'modular' and user replaceable are the innards?  (I understand that there is the option to add functionality via the rear pins).

Conventionally sourced and produced.

This video link give you some insight view of PinePhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyeD1sfQNoM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forum Recommendations for Pine64 support? backwoodstech2 0 276 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  Where PinePhone Pro are Made Tony90 1 358 01-18-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  using Zoom on Pinephone andrew907 5 967 12-09-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  pinephone 3 ideas aular 2 682 11-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: aular
Question Support for Placing Order Mike Shen 0 490 06-06-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Mike Shen
  Does pinephone allow you to repair your own device as easily as fairphone? unix21311 3 1,848 11-06-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Harolddavies0
  can i install mobian on pinephone? luofeiyu 2 1,230 10-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Last Post: user641
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,656 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
Sad New PinePhone Mobian Weekly Image... No Boot photon 1 1,065 09-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: olyavi
Sad Support response times chuso 5 2,859 05-15-2022, 03:17 PM
Last Post: TRS-80