Chit Chat about Tick Tock (July News Upadte)
Big Grin 
(07-07-2019, 10:49 AM)Luke Wrote: @pfeerick Its actually more of a @Mrfixit2001 or @ayufan question Smile

True, but I think since you've got one, you might have noticed if there was any visual indication that stuff wasn't working Wink

Since it seems that the keyboard firmware is open source, I expect someone will figure out how to use the power, caps and numlock lights to indicate that stuff is being turned on or off...
@pfeerick But then you‘d lose the functionality of those LEDs... One might rather get hand-on oneself and drill some holes into the laptop to put the LEDs in there... Too bad there are no GPIO pins left, at least I did not see any on the pictures so far (also suspiciously low USB port count for such a device, though normal on modern „ultra“books (I‘m looking at you, Macbook Big Grin)), so you would have to put the LEDs in line with the peripherals that are switched off, then they‘d turn off automatically. One might also use some software stuff, e.g. a desktop application like Conky. It couldn‘t communicate directly with the firmware, of course, however it could check the kernel or device files (I‘m not a Linux/Unix expert yet, so do not ask me what exactly, though I think it might be a file in /dev/) whether it is still there/online.
(07-17-2019, 12:10 AM)FantasyCookie17 Wrote: @pfeerick But then you‘d lose the functionality of those LEDs...

Only if it were a permanent reassignment... I'm thinking more a single flash for when the device is enabled, and a double flash for when it's enabled... i.e. just a visual cue of the state being toggled. After that... as you say... probably just looking up `/dev` to see if the device is reporting itself as present, or MIA
(07-18-2019, 01:48 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 12:10 AM)FantasyCookie17 Wrote: @pfeerick But then you‘d lose the functionality of those LEDs...

Only if it were a permanent reassignment... I'm thinking more a single flash for when the device is enabled, and a double flash for when it's enabled... i.e. just a visual cue of the state being toggled. After that... as you say... probably just looking up `/dev` to see if the device is reporting itself as present, or MIA

That is a great solution that is not dependent on DM/WM. Another approach which I will be using is to configure the i3 status bar (I use i3wm) to show the state of each privacy switch. A similar approach may be taken with other DM/WM, but a custom solution may be required.
(07-08-2019, 08:47 PM)tllim Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 12:19 AM)lmcdo Wrote: Definitely kicking myself that I didn't make an account sooner -- I've been following the project but forums have always scared me off. This forum seems well-managed though, so a mistake on my part.

A somewhat important question, also related to storage: what's the max power draw on PCIe devices over m.2? Some of these NVMe disks have wild maximum power draws.
Around 2.5W reserved for NVMe drive. Please don't use the power hungry type SSD which can creates heat and power consumption issue.

This needs an important clarification.  Is that 2.5W mark the absolute maximum that can be safely provided, or is that simply a "sustained idle" target?  Many SSDs will use only a few mW of power when idle, but then jump to more than 4W when doing writes.  What are the actual maximums for sustained and burst power draw here?

Thanks
(07-26-2019, 09:23 PM)binarian Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 12:19 AM)lmcdo Wrote: Definitely kicking myself that I didn't make an account sooner -- I've been following the project but forums have always scared me off. This forum seems well-managed though, so a mistake on my part.

A somewhat important question, also related to storage: what's the max power draw on PCIe devices over m.2? Some of these NVMe disks have wild maximum power draws.
Around 2.5W reserved for NVMe drive. Please don't use the power hungry type SSD which can creates heat and power consumption issue.

This needs an important clarification.  Is that 2.5W mark the absolute maximum that can be safely provided, or is that simply a "sustained idle" target?  Many SSDs will use only a few mW of power when idle, but then jump to more than 4W when doing writes.  What are the actual maximums for sustained and burst power draw here?

Thanks

I suppose the 2,5W is from the 15W the PSU delivers, so if you draw more than 2,5W from the port, I just suppose it will slowly discharge even if it is plugged to the wall, I also asked about this on page 3 of this thread.
(07-29-2019, 07:09 PM)FantasyCookie17 Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 09:23 PM)binarian Wrote:

Thanks

I suppose the 2,5W is from the 15W the PSU delivers, so if you draw more than 2,5W from the port, I just suppose it will slowly discharge even if it is plugged to the wall, I also asked about this on page 3 of this thread.

I know you did.  That's why I posted as well; I didn't see a satisfactory direct answer, so I wanted to re-raise the issue.  There has been additional discussion on the topic here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...2#pid48412

TLDR of that is 8.25W burst, 2.5W sustained.

From what (admittedly little) I know about electrical engineering, I don't think it would be an issue to have a total power draw over 15W due to the SSD.  The LiPO battery should be able to provide that without issue on its own, and in the event the charger is connected, the battery would only have to supply a marginal amount of current to compensate for the supply.  Yes, it would cause the battery to discharge, but only for a few seconds, since the extra power draw would only be needed in times of very heavy writes.
Quote: keep in mind that *BSD developers will be receiving their units soon

Development seems to happen in great secrecy. There are no traces on google for searches on "pinebook pro" together with "netbsd", "freebsd" or "openbsd".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quartz64 chat Luke 21 21,012 09-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Luke
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,458 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 67,788 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  Telegram news channel (not chat) Luke 0 3,022 07-21-2020, 07:11 AM
  PineTime, Delays, and Shipping News -- October Update fire219 0 2,756 10-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Last Post: fire219
  London Meetup, PineTab News, SOEdge And More! (August Update Blog) fire219 22 32,350 08-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  New Chat Options: Telegram Luke 1 4,359 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM