Chit Chat about Tick Tock (July News Upadte)
Definitely kicking myself that I didn't make an account sooner -- I've been following the project but forums have always scared me off. This forum seems well-managed though, so a mistake on my part.

A somewhat important question, also related to storage: what's the max power draw on PCIe devices over m.2? Some of these NVMe disks have wild maximum power draws.
Awesome! I am very excited about this! Looking forward to the 25th (24th at midnight+1?)

8>D
de KL7JKC
(07-06-2019, 12:19 AM)lmcdo Wrote: Definitely kicking myself that I didn't make an account sooner -- I've been following the project but forums have always scared me off. This forum seems well-managed though, so a mistake on my part.

A somewhat important question, also related to storage: what's the max power draw on PCIe devices over m.2? Some of these NVMe disks have wild maximum power draws.

See, nothing to be scared of, especially since your first question is not only smart but also relevant because we didn't think to test this in particular...
The answer is - I don't know at this time. You may be right that using a NVMe may have a significant impact on battery life.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-06-2019, 06:04 AM)Luke Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 12:19 AM)lmcdo Wrote: Definitely kicking myself that I didn't make an account sooner -- I've been following the project but forums have always scared me off. This forum seems well-managed though, so a mistake on my part.

See, nothing to be scared of, especially since your first question is not only smart but also relevant because we didn't think to test this in particular...
The answer is - I don't know at this time. You may be right that using a NVMe may have a significant impact on battery life.

NVMe SSDs can lower battery life more SATA SSDs/HDDs but we won't have SATA available as far as I know.

With that said, careful research on NVMe power consumption will yield good information on potential best selections. The ADATA drive in this article may be a good choice:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13761/the...d-review/9
Possibly a dumb question ... if so please forgive me :-)

Luke, either it has not been mentioned or I missed it or I'm missing the 'obvious', but is the new privacy switch mechanism a toggle-function or a one-off "OFF" function and is there any indication of its status (other than perhaps that the function not working any more)?
Great update and news! So looking forward to the countdown to order. I totally agree with others on a Pine symbol on the Super key, I think it will be discreet but classy. Roll-on the count down!
(07-06-2019, 11:54 AM)neilman Wrote: is the new privacy switch mechanism a toggle-function or a one-off "OFF" function

It's a toggle function... hold down the corresponding F-key (F1-F2-F3) for 10 seconds, and attached function gets turned off or on. It's remembered across reboots, so if you, for example, turned the camera off... it's off until you turn it back on again.

(07-06-2019, 11:54 AM)neilman Wrote: is there any indication of its status (other than perhaps that the fu
nction not working any more)?
Not that I know of... defineley a Luke question as I don't have one Wink
@pfeerick Its actually more of a @Mrfixit2001 or @ayufan question Smile @neilman basically, if the F key function gets toggled, and say your camera (which uses the USB 2.0 protocol) gets toggled then the kernel doesn't see it, as if it was disconnected (plug pulled out).
Think that the camera + mics won't be an issue in the slightest (USB 2.0 so hot-pluggable), but you may wish to reboot after cutting power to the wifi/bt which uses SDIO - I can imagine that it 'vanishing' can cause errors, perhaps even a kernel panic.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(07-07-2019, 10:49 AM)Luke Wrote: but you may wish to reboot after cutting power to the wifi/bt which uses SDIO - I can imagine that it 'vanishing' can cause errors, perhaps even a kernel panic.

I have an old Lenovo with a hardware switch for radios. The kernel behaves when I toggle it, though it sometimes takes time for it to realize it's there when I toggle it ON. Mostly, we're looking at mainline kernel for all the distributions in the lineup, so it shouldn't be a problem (unless there are weird driver issues?)

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Quote:but you may wish to reboot after cutting power to the wifi/bt which uses SDIO - I can imagine that it 'vanishing' can cause errors, perhaps even a kernel panic.
This. So "cool". And the question arises. I guess, I know the answer to it, but what if? There might be people, that don't want to cut off these modules this way, even a bit, at least to say. Yeah, weirdos not concerned with their "privacy". Instead, they aren't happy with that magical "firmware", running in the keyboard Huh and sticking its nose into power supply chain, eating some power and being a source of system crashes. Isn't there considered the possibility to make simpler variants, without this "feature"? Or, maybe, an easier solution, - isn't there a way to disable (cut off of power) the very keyboard hw where this firmware runs? disabling the feature, that enables disabling other things. Big Grin
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quartz64 chat Luke 21 21,598 09-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Luke
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,567 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 69,160 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  Telegram news channel (not chat) Luke 0 3,067 07-21-2020, 07:11 AM
  PineTime, Delays, and Shipping News -- October Update fire219 0 2,797 10-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Last Post: fire219
  London Meetup, PineTab News, SOEdge And More! (August Update Blog) fire219 22 32,857 08-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  New Chat Options: Telegram Luke 1 4,416 07-22-2019, 09:14 AM