Pre-boot questions
Greetings,

I am about to be the proud owner of a RockPro64 SBC (It's due to arrive tomorrow!).

My immediate goals are to use it as a Smart TV set-top box (for streaming) and/or an NAS server for my local network,  besides the fun of playing around with it.

I'm aware that Android-TV is not the best host for an NAS server and plan on setting up alternative boot scenarios to allow for independent testing of each use.

The problem is that while linux-extractable archives (*,gz) for Android-TV are findable, the only other linux images I could find were buried inside a *.xz archive that apparently requires 7zip (a Windows executable) to extract.

It would probably be possible to run 7zip under WINE to extract the .xz archives, but that's a last resort.

All my systems are (gentoo) linux, is there a set of linux images that are archived using a format that I can read?

I have no overwhelming preference as to which linux, but the LXDE desktop is familiar so Ubuntu would be convenient.

Is there a list of RockPro64 linux images that can be extracted on linux?

Thanks for your time.

Brett K. Heath
(04-28-2019, 07:37 PM)bkheath Wrote: It would probably be possible to run 7zip under WINE to extract the .xz archives, but that's a last resort.

All my systems are (gentoo) linux, is there a set of linux images that are archived using a format that I can read?

Use etcher, it decompresses xz files at the same time it's writing to sdcard/emmc
(04-28-2019, 08:11 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 07:37 PM)bkheath Wrote: It would probably be possible to run 7zip under WINE to extract the .xz archives, but that's a last resort.

Use etcher, it decompresses xz files at the same time it's writing to sdcard/emmc

Ahhh, that would simplify things, probably one of the reasons it's recommended Blush .

Thanks for the info.

Brett K. Heath
This is embarassing (again),

My RockPro arrived and everything is there but it seems I neglected to order a heatsink (could've sworn there was a High Profile in my cart).

The safe option is to leave everything in it's packaging, order the heatsink and a couple of other accessories that were already on the list,  then sit on my hands till they arrive.

The tempting option is to go ahead and assemble everything (perhaps excepting the LED light lead) without the heatsink (there is a fan for the NAS case) and then install the heatsink when it arrives.

The question is will the fan in an NAS case provide enough cooling let the RP run safely?

I'm assuming that an NAS server with low demand will not put too much thermal strain on the board, and that streaming  TV would be much more demanding and should be limited to short term testing, or avoided entirely.

Is this a fair estimate?

Are there other problems with this idea?

Thanks again for your time.

Brett K. Heath
(04-29-2019, 03:55 PM)bkheath Wrote: This is embarassing (again),

My RockPro arrived and everything is there but it seems I neglected to order a heatsink (could've sworn there was a High Profile in my cart).

The safe option is to leave everything in it's packaging, order the heatsink and a couple of other accessories that were already on the list,  then sit on my hands till they arrive.

The tempting option is to go ahead and assemble everything (perhaps excepting the LED light lead) without the heatsink (there is a fan for the NAS case) and then install the heatsink when it arrives.

The question is will the fan in an NAS case provide enough cooling let the RP run safely?

I'm assuming that an NAS server with low demand will not put too much thermal strain on the board, and that streaming  TV would be much more demanding and should be limited to short term testing, or avoided entirely.

Is this a fair estimate?

Are there other problems with this idea?

Thanks again for your time.

Brett K. Heath

There is thermal throttling which will kick in once the chip gets to about 83C, and at ~90C it will shut off, all you need is a 40mm heatsink which is a standard size I think.
(04-29-2019, 10:06 PM)evilbunny Wrote: [...]

There is thermal throttling which will kick in once the chip gets to about 83C, and at ~90C it will shut off, all you need is a 40mm heatsink which is a standard size I think.

Ok, an intelligent design, makes sense.

Experience has taught me to be pretty conservative when it comes to power supplies and thermal protection, thanks for easing my mind.

This is me getting up off of my hands and getting to work.

Brett K. Heath

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello All! New user - 2 basic Quartz64 questions oldschool 2 772 12-14-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  Boot Ox64 after SPI Flash IC replacement kotnitro 1 1,057 05-26-2023, 02:19 AM
Last Post: kotnitro
  Star64 first boot (and success) bortzmeyer 1 1,491 05-24-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: draintroup
Exclamation Quartz64 model a wont boot AndyNZAUS 0 1,484 09-13-2022, 06:35 AM
Last Post: AndyNZAUS
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,644 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,949 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
Lightbulb Live boot with persistence? r00tn3rd 1 3,173 10-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Last Post: HotChocolate
  Occasional boot toiny 0 2,103 10-18-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: toiny
  Pre-purchase questions (and an apology/plead) mayorchief 0 2,224 08-23-2020, 11:30 PM
Last Post: mayorchief
  SD Card boot - trying out OS Baconomics 1 4,287 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: tophneal