New Builds from ayufan (0.8.X) w Video/3D/Mate desktop
(04-25-2019, 12:55 PM)soerenderfor Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 08:02 AM)rhens1 Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 10:54 AM)Nerevarine Wrote: Any way to fix 0.8 build ? I can never log into desktop. its always stuck at black screen, even in rc9
I tried the rc9 and also got the black screen.  I then remotely logged into the router IP I had set for the Rock64 (4G).  I then used PUTTY  and a SSH tunnel.  The Rock64 had completed the boot and was running.  I then used a VNC remote after installing tightvncserver, my favorite.  The xstartup file under the .vnc folder has to be modified, but the Rock64 works well.  The best I can tell is that the black screen is caused by the inability to frequency sync with the display.  The programmers could fix this with a config.txt file where the monitor specs could be specified to sync.  I have done this on the RPi SBCs with ubuntu MATE to fill out my screen.  By all indications the Rock64 rc9 MATE version was trying to sync at 75 Hz and couldn't.  This is probably true of all the release candidates (RCs) for ubuntu MATE.

For anyone wanting the xstartup edit, it is below:
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
# Fix to make GNOME work
# export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
# /etc/X11/Xsession
unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
export XKB_DEFAULT_RULES=base
/usr/bin/mate-session

Your fix, can the ROCK64 then use 3D acc?

Sorry, this is not a fix, but a way to remotely have a desktop.  I don't think 3D acceleration would work in this case.  I just want people to have a way of seeing what is going on with the MATE desktop.  This desktop is way beyond the LXDE.  It is also beyond MATE on any RPi that I have.  Just seeing it in action should give the people here hope that the ROCK64 is NOT a dead end product.  You will have to wait until the GPU/monitor frequency sync problem is fixed before using the 3D acc.  BTW, the RPi 2, 3B and 3B+ also have a somewhat  similar problem, but have a table of monitor settings, pixel width, height and frequency in a (fat32 partition) config.txt file to force the GPU to sync and size.  T'aint elegant, but it works really well if you pick the correct settings Undecided
(04-25-2019, 03:41 PM)rhens1 Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 12:55 PM)soerenderfor Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 08:02 AM)rhens1 Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 10:54 AM)Nerevarine Wrote: Any way to fix 0.8 build ? I can never log into desktop. its always stuck at black screen, even in rc9
I tried the rc9 and also got the black screen.  I then remotely logged into the router IP I had set for the Rock64 (4G).  I then used PUTTY  and a SSH tunnel.  The Rock64 had completed the boot and was running.  I then used a VNC remote after installing tightvncserver, my favorite.  The xstartup file under the .vnc folder has to be modified, but the Rock64 works well.  The best I can tell is that the black screen is caused by the inability to frequency sync with the display.  The programmers could fix this with a config.txt file where the monitor specs could be specified to sync.  I have done this on the RPi SBCs with ubuntu MATE to fill out my screen.  By all indications the Rock64 rc9 MATE version was trying to sync at 75 Hz and couldn't.  This is probably true of all the release candidates (RCs) for ubuntu MATE.

For anyone wanting the xstartup edit, it is below:
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
# Fix to make GNOME work
# export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
# /etc/X11/Xsession
unset SESSION_MANAGER
unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
export XKB_DEFAULT_RULES=base
/usr/bin/mate-session

Your fix, can the ROCK64 then use 3D acc?

Sorry, this is not a fix, but a way to remotely have a desktop.  I don't think 3D acceleration would work in this case.  I just want people to have a way of seeing what is going on with the MATE desktop.  This desktop is way beyond the LXDE.  It is also beyond MATE on any RPi that I have.  Just seeing it in action should give the people here hope that the ROCK64 is NOT a dead end product.  You will have to wait until the GPU/monitor frequency sync problem is fixed before using the 3D acc.  BTW, the RPi 2, 3B and 3B+ also have a somewhat  similar problem, but have a table of monitor settings, pixel width, height and frequency in a (fat32 partition) config.txt file to force the GPU to sync and size.  T'aint elegant, but it works really well if you pick the correct settings Undecided

Okay, it was just so i could understand. My self i thing ROCK64 is a nice product. 

Have just, tried the new RC build it works very nice and the performance is great. It needs 3D acc but i wait, and i will be very happy for ayufan when he get it to work :-) 

But still big thanks from here, for the great work ayufan!
I have now tried the ROCK64 MATE 0.8.0rc10 on my ROCK64 4GB SBC.  I still had the GPU error followed by 'apport' trying hundreds of attempts to stop a crash.  In short it crashed, total stop.  I could ping the unit, but there was no SSH available for any remote connection.  I went back to the rc9 update and although the display wouldn't sync with the  GPU, I had an open SSH where I could PUTTY into the unit and start a remote VNC.  With the rc10, apport recycled the machine to go over each core and I believe from the displayed hexadecimal arrays and page faults ran out of memory.  Instead of trying to fix the problem on the run a few default settings might help.  Also, RPi has 86 preset HDMI_MODES from which to chose with MATE.  I would hazard a guess that 0.8.0rc10 would work just fine at 50Hz and bomb at 60Hz.  Any thoughts?  BTW, Ayufan is great.
(04-26-2019, 03:39 PM)rhens1 Wrote: I have now tried the ROCK64 MATE 0.8.0rc10 on my ROCK64 4GB SBC.  I still had the GPU error followed by 'apport' trying hundreds of attempts to stop a crash.  In short it crashed, total stop.  I could ping the unit, but there was no SSH available for any remote connection.  I went back to the rc9 update and although the display wouldn't sync with the  GPU, I had an open SSH where I could PUTTY into the unit and start a remote VNC.  With the rc10, apport recycled the machine to go over each core and I believe from the displayed hexadecimal arrays and page faults ran out of memory.  Instead of trying to fix the problem on the run a few default settings might help.  Also, RPi has 86 preset HDMI_MODES from which to chose with MATE.  I would hazard a guess that 0.8.0rc10 would work just fine at 50Hz and bomb at 60Hz.  Any thoughts?  BTW, Ayufan is great.

The rc10 mate desktop works here, ROCK64 4GB. 

Only tried on EMMC card
(04-26-2019, 03:54 PM)soerenderfor Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 03:39 PM)rhens1 Wrote: I have now tried the ROCK64 MATE 0.8.0rc10 on my ROCK64 4GB SBC.  I still had the GPU error followed by 'apport' trying hundreds of attempts to stop a crash.  In short it crashed, total stop.  I could ping the unit, but there was no SSH available for any remote connection.  I went back to the rc9 update and although the display wouldn't sync with the  GPU, I had an open SSH where I could PUTTY into the unit and start a remote VNC.  With the rc10, apport recycled the machine to go over each core and I believe from the displayed hexadecimal arrays and page faults ran out of memory.  Instead of trying to fix the problem on the run a few default settings might help.  Also, RPi has 86 preset HDMI_MODES from which to chose with MATE.  I would hazard a guess that 0.8.0rc10 would work just fine at 50Hz and bomb at 60Hz.  Any thoughts?  BTW, Ayufan is great.

Only tried on EMMC card
Good info.  I used a fast thumb drive, SanDisk.  Some programs are on 120 GB SSDs but most of my trials are imaged on thumbdrives or USBs with microSDs.  I'll try an rc10 image on a microSD and insert this into a USB holder.  It may be an imaging problem, but I have done this many times without a problem.  Could the problem be uboot?  I may go ahead and get an EMMC.  What display did you use.  Can you tell me if it is possibly 720P on HDMI or composite signal?  Maybe you have hit on somethingSmile  Thanks!  Any comments regarding the EMMCs?  My builds are usually greater than 50GB.  That is the reason for uboot and SSDs ... I'm cheap.
(04-26-2019, 07:55 PM)rhens1 Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 03:54 PM)soerenderfor Wrote:

Only tried on EMMC card
Good info.  I used a fast thumb drive, SanDisk.  Some programs are on 120 GB SSDs but most of my trials are imaged on thumbdrives or USBs with microSDs.  I'll try an rc10 image on a microSD and insert this into a USB holder.  It may be an imaging problem, but I have done this many times without a problem.  Could the problem be uboot?  I may go ahead and get an EMMC.  What display did you use.  Can you tell me if it is possibly 720P on HDMI or composite signal?  Maybe you have hit on somethingSmile  Thanks!  Any comments regarding the EMMCs?  My builds are usually greater than 50GB.  That is the reason for uboot and SSDs ... I'm cheap.

I dont no i this can have something to do with the sucess of boot. 

I use a LED Asus 24" but the screen is connected to a KVM switch, from screen. VGA -> KVM SWITCH -> VGA TO HDMI ADAPTER -> ROCK64.

A little complicated to write down, did you catch it? Or just ask me again and i will try. Or we can take it over telegram or something.

Display setting in desktop, resolution is 1080P at 60Hz.

Best Regards.
RC10 with Mate don't boot, many errors
Tested Rock64 4GB
(04-29-2019, 10:58 AM)zet_lab Wrote: RC10 with Mate don't boot, many errors
Tested Rock64 4GB

I also do have Rock64 4gb, i burned the image to my EMMC card with mkusb.

The mate desktop works on my Rock64, yes some GPU freq errors. 

But it boots in to desktop anyways.
(04-29-2019, 01:58 PM)soerenderfor Wrote:
Tested Rock64 4GB

I burned the image to microSD card

Note that Ambian with the graphics works well on this map
(04-30-2019, 05:32 AM)zet_lab Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 01:58 PM)soerenderfor Wrote:
Tested Rock64 4GB

I burned the image to microSD card

Note that Ambian with the graphics works well on this map

Do yiou use Armbian instead of this image?

I actually find the RC10 mate image, alot faster at normally desktop use.

It is weird you can't get the mate image to work. I use emmc from odroid, i don't know if it has something to say. I also run my boards through a KVM switch so i can use 1 screen 1 mouse and 1 keyboard to control 5 boards. Maybe it also has something to say?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Change Video Memory Amount gazhow64 0 685 12-10-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: gazhow64
  Ayufan LXDE with Teamviewer or Dwservice? cenicero 0 1,949 03-14-2020, 06:39 AM
Last Post: cenicero
  Remote desktop access Rock64 over Internet hg6806 2 3,875 12-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Last Post: default_user8
  Release 0.9.14 Ubuntu Mate desktop, LXDE, OMV, Docker CE (container) Luke 1 3,995 09-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Malmgren
Star [archived] New Stable release from Ayufan (0.8.3) Luke 3 6,751 07-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Malmgren
Star ayufan's 0.8.0rc12 (Rock64 Rev 3) Luke 1 3,259 06-13-2019, 02:05 AM
Last Post: pineadmin
  How fast is rock64 if a desktop? heocb 11 14,858 04-21-2019, 09:14 PM
Last Post: a1w.ca
  Video : Media Script for the Rock64/4K video in Linux NicoD 1 4,148 03-30-2019, 02:17 AM
Last Post: zet_lab
  Ayufan Debian Stretch Openmediavault 4 5G Wifi Not Connecting Poincare 0 2,232 03-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Poincare
  ayufan 0.7.12 pre-release images (help testing) Luke 1 4,527 03-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Luke