Problems putting Ubuntu (Xenial Mate) on my replacement eMMC.
Hello people.
I recently bought a 64Gb eMMC for my Pinebook.
When I tried to install the Xenial Mate I got a "No eMMC detected" message. (photo attached)
At first I thought it was a fault with the new eMMC and opened a ticket on the support page. They tested it and could find no faults. When it was returned the support people advised me to try and install Android. This worked.
I also had success installing Q4OS and the MicroSD version of Xenial Mate seems to work without issue. 
I have also tried  taking it off the board and putting it back on again.
As there are no issues with the eMMC I can only assume there is some issue with the Xenial Mate image I tried to install.
I would rather run a version of Ubuntu Xenial Mate installed on the eMMC.
Has anyone else had this issue?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-18-2019, 05:50 PM)frank-zappa Wrote: As there are no issues with the eMMC I can only assume there is some issue with the Xenial Mate image I tried to install.

If Android and Q4OS run off the eMMC successfully, then I severely doubt it's a hardware with the PineBook.  So some issue with the image seems likely.

Although it could be a hardware problem with the storage device you are using to move the image file, and it's getting corrupted or truncated.  Unfortunately, there are a bunch of bogus SD cards and USB sticks on the market.  Therefore, you might want to use your other computer to test it to make sure it works as advertised.
(03-26-2019, 11:19 AM)zaius Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 05:50 PM)frank-zappa Wrote: As there are no issues with the eMMC I can only assume there is some issue with the Xenial Mate image I tried to install.

If Android and Q4OS run off the eMMC successfully, then I severely doubt it's a hardware with the PineBook.  So some issue with the image seems likely.

Although it could be a hardware problem with the storage device you are using to move the image file, and it's getting corrupted or truncated.  Unfortunately, there are a bunch of bogus SD cards and USB sticks on the market.  Therefore, you might want to use your other computer to test it to make sure it works as advertised.
I suppose I could try another Micro SD. And another adapter. Maybe when Xenial Mate is updated it will work.
Is it possible to contact the developer here?

(Thanks for your response)
Check the img file (sha256sum) before you unzip and write the image to the eMMC to make sure the img is not corrupt.
(03-29-2019, 12:02 PM)MECZero Wrote: Check the img file (sha256sum) before you unzip and write the image to the eMMC to make sure the img is not corrupt.

What is sha256sum?
Where should I get a copy of the image from? 
I was getting it from the wiki.
(03-31-2019, 03:05 PM)frank-zappa Wrote: What is sha256sum?
Where should I get a copy of the image from? 
I was getting it from the wiki.

Sometimes where you download the .iso or .img file from, there is also a checksum file you can download as well to confirm the img is not corrupt. Normally I don't bother doing this, but if you're having issues it might be worth it to check the img file.
Is it possible to get the "MicroSD boot" version of Xenial Mate to install onto the eMMC?
I have tried everything else. Still no joy.
I am writing this to bump this thread and hopefully get a response.
I am still at a loss as to what to do.
Is it possible to install the MicroSD version of Xenial mate to the eMMC?
Q4OS is really doing my head in. I just do not like it. I want Xenial Mate back but have not been able to install the eMMC version on my new eMMC.
My Pinebook is now gathering dust when It should be doing something.

Help!
(04-29-2019, 05:59 PM)frank-zappa Wrote: I am writing this to bump this thread and hopefully get a response.
Q4OS is really doing my head in. I just do not like it. I want Xenial Mate back but have not been able to install the eMMC version on my new eMMC.

Help!

I've done that, you flash the sdcard, then copy the image file to sdcard and then using dd you can put the image onto the emmc using dd
(04-29-2019, 10:09 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 05:59 PM)frank-zappa Wrote: I am writing this to bump this thread and hopefully get a response.

Help!

I've done that, you flash the sdcard, then copy the image file to sdcard and then using dd you can put the image onto the emmc using dd

I have never used dd?
Is it complicated? I'm not t total noob but not exactly an experienced linux user.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Customised (encrypted) eMMC installation using Anarsoul's ArchLinux Blutkoete 24 33,809 05-02-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: thunderweasel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,658 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  Kali on SD does not Detect EMMC marianobilli 1 3,216 01-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Flakey WIFI (problems authenticating, etc.) robbiemacg 6 9,094 12-15-2019, 04:31 AM
Last Post: matze79
  Armbian - Xenial Desktop (Pinebook) pineadmin 83 108,933 07-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Last Post: catsmile
  Sd to eMMC badgeranduni 0 2,127 07-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Last Post: badgeranduni
  Adding coherent_pool to boot.cmd on Xenial Mate by Ayufan causes boot loop k_mp 0 1,899 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Last Post: k_mp
  How to Configure Screen Brightness in mate on pinebook via terinal? shirman 6 8,834 12-02-2018, 05:37 AM
Last Post: mikee3000
  Pinebook Ubuntu XFCE screen resolution options Fox7799 2 4,339 12-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Fox7799
  Pinebook 11.6" sound with Ubuntu XFCE Fox7799 1 3,089 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Fox7799