Equipment Question
Can i use equipment from the Rasberry Pi 2?
Pine 64 2GB Version

Pine64 Emulator Try

Android:
NES:
SNES: Super Retro 16| Controller works| Games 60FPS
GB/GBC:
GBA:
N64:

(04-22-2016, 07:30 AM)King Patte Wrote: Can i use equipment from the Rasberry Pi 2?
What exactly do you like to use? We don't know your equipment and especially cards and PSU are essential!

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
I want to know generally what I can use from the Raspberry Pi 2
Pine 64 2GB Version

Pine64 Emulator Try

Android:
NES:
SNES: Super Retro 16| Controller works| Games 60FPS
GB/GBC:
GBA:
N64:

(04-22-2016, 07:50 AM)King Patte Wrote: I want to know generally what I can use from the Raspberry Pi 2
We need to know exactly what you have from the PI2 and like to use for the Pine64. Sorry, my crystal ball is out of order at the moment...

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
I don't have my pine64 yet, so this is just based on reading the forum.

From your Raspberry Pi 2, unless the monitor is a HDMI monitor that can support 1080p, it WILL NOT work on the pine64. Some of the various Pi monitors that will not work include:
  • PiTFT's that use SPI commands to draw the screen and typically attach directly to the Pi's pins. In theory this might be able to work someday, but it will likely involve somebody who has plenty of time and motavation and computer skills to do it (i.e. don't just expect this to work, unless you are going to roll up your sleeves and make it work).
  • Composite Video displays that attach with the yellow RCA jack. This will never work, as pine64 just does not have support for composite video.
  • The Raspberry Pi monitor using the DSI cable. I would suspect this won't work.
  • Most of the HDMI monitors sold for the Pi have different sizes for the display. Unfortunately pine64 only supports one display size at this time. Hopefully in the future, the company that supplies the underlying chips can be persuaded to update the video specifications.

Next up is the power cord. The pine64 is like the Raspberry Pi 3, in that it really wants a lot of power. If your power cable is just a random charger meant for smartphones or tablets, it may not be suitable for the Pine64. If on the other hand, you have a power cord that can deliver 5 volts and 2 amps cleanly that in will probably work. Note, some 2 amp power cords only deliver 2 amps if they are attached to a recognized smart phone, and if it is connected to a random device, it will only give you 500 mA. You don't want smart chargers, you want something that will deliver the power all of the time.

Assuming you do not have one of the original Raspberry Pi model A or B's, you probably can reuse your micro-SD card. Note, if you reuse it, it will need to be reformatted, and you will lose all data on the card. However, cards aren't that expensive these days. Be sure to buy a name brand card from a recognized dealer (not ebay, not some random Amazon reseller) as there is a problem with fake cards.

FWIW, I just bought a 32GB SanDisk microSDHC UHS-1 card from B&H photo video in New York for $11 (however, they just shutdown for the next 8 days in observance of Passover). In general, if you buy micro-SD cards from big box stores, expect to pay a lot for the card, and if you buy it from some random ebay vendor, expect a fake that may/may not work as well as the card it is pretending to be. I tend to like SanDisk most for my cameras, but Lexer, Samsung, and Kingston tend to be good names.

If you have a USB mouse, it will likely work on the pine64.

If you have devices that require you to install software, they likely won't work at the present time. Perhaps they will in the future (assuming somebody has the time and motivation to make it work).

Most of the things targeted towards the Pi, probably won't work out of the box on the pine64.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan Question Bluphire 5 5,459 07-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Bluphire