Is this it?
Thumbs Down 
I have had my board for 3 weeks. I have used all 3 offering of the ANDROID. Stock 7.1, 7.1 ATV and Oreo.  Are these the FINAL RELEASES for firmware for this board? The Android 7 has a 2017 security patch.... VERY DISSAPOINTING.  The things constantly crashing programs.  It really doesnt matter which app I run, it gets lost in la-la land and then offers close app/ wait/ send feedback dialog.  I get the same error sometimes in system process and then it just locks up.  
Hard to believe that the Popcorn transformer and rockbox were to have these as firmware.  I have seen much better just from cheap china tv boxes.
I had such high hopes for this as I have fried a few TV boxes flashing and reflashing new firmware (*rom) and wanted something that I could replace emmc or just boot from sd.  
None of the images have working GAPPS.....Hate the Android TV interface and have not seen any way to get notifications....
Armbian has worked and been very stable but was VERY saddened this board was not ready for primetime when it comes to ANDROID.  I really didnt need another linux machine.
I am hesitant to believe my prob is running it just from sd instead of emmc when Linux works so well. but I will be considering buying a emmc module just to try it.  
Things I wished this had was TWRP or a update installer that would allow you to just install open gapps and root it easily. Im sure I could do it the hard way with ADB.  but... things should be easier for users (translation customers)
this experience you relate is pretty much the way it has been in one form or the other since the kickstarter of pine64. a board is released, software never really matures partly because the next product gets released a year or so later and devs start to focus on that product but the software never matures for it because another product is released and devs focus on that product but the software never matures for it because another.... as these product cycles get shorter and now with multiple products per cycle can not see it getting any better anytime soon.
Hello BigBertha and welcome to the forum. You own your board for 3 weeks and so far no positive experiences? I'm very surprised. At first I had some problems with Android like you. However, I have found all the necessary information in the forum and can now decide for myself if I prefer to work with android 7 of ayufan or with android 8. Both versions run with some help easily with me. I've heard that some users should have a very unstable system. Something also happened to me when I bombed the system after the first boot with 100 requests. The trick is the system after the first boot for 5-10 minutes left alone. I have no problems with apps. However, I also use it mainly as a 4k media machine and as a retro console and can say that I was fully satisfied in both points for this very cheap board. As far as the TV Gui is concerned, you will probably agree with some of them by now. Let's see if the release in March matches the wishes. For my part I am very satisfied with the tv gui. I handle the system exclusively via cec so the tv remote control. You're right to install the gapps could be easier. But you can also make it easy and downloads the desired apps on third-party sites and can use the desired apps without programming knowledge. I think it's a shame that many more are concerned about denouncing a problem than looking for solutions. The pine makes no more development on older boards is not correct. It was recently announced that Android 9 will be released in March. If questions or problems occur you will be helped in this forum. Just try it.
I'm with my board more than a year. Tried Android 8 and could not run it from emmc. Asked the forum several times with absolutely nothing in reaction from anyone. Standard bluetooth sticks not working. Just stuck on the ATV 7.1 version.
hope you're right about Android 9 in March though this is hard to beleive. Will there be ATV image updates as well ?
(02-21-2019, 06:27 AM)AlexS Wrote: I'm with my board more than a year. Tried Android 8 and could not run it from emmc. Asked the forum several times with absolutely nothing in reaction from anyone. Standard bluetooth sticks not working. Just stuck on the ATV 7.1 version.
hope you're right about Android 9 in March though this is hard to beleive. Will there be ATV image updates as well ?

It also bothers me that bluetooth does not work. Let's hope there are solutions soon. I have only recently a emmc card and I'll go to test it. I do not know the update plans. maybe @Luke can tell us more about that? may I ask for which purposes do you use or want to use your board?
Mostly for watching iptv, YouTube music and videos. Would like to play games also probably but no Bluetooth to connect a gamepad.
I also use my board for similar applications. with a good installation you should be fully satisfied apart from the bluetooth.

I simply use a USB cable for my Playstation 4 controller. this is not the best solution but until bluetooth works i can live with it. you just have to work solution-oriented.

with your emmc card i try to help you if i have gained more experience.
I bought a board last year. Had problems with the provided Android 7.x tab and TV images. None would properly work with apps that needed root, despite the WIKI saying these were pre-rooted images.  Then, Oreo was released. Same. Got the tab image to boot but since Bluetooth is not supported can't hook up wireless controller or keyboard.  Now, my board sits on a bookshelf collecting dust. Didn't meet expectations and total lack of updated software support and releases is just a joke by the manufacturer on its user base.
I own the board for around 6 months. I wanted to create an android based touchscreen device with the dac board on top of the rock64. The TV GUI on the Android is absolutely not usable with a touchscreen, you need to tap on each icon twice to open an app or setting, no status bar or navigation bar to go back, home or open the recent apps. There are walkarounds but they are not system solutions. It is like patching a leaking spaceship with some sticky tape.
I've made many requests on the forum and I find that the main reason many users have negative opinion on the board and Pine64 in general is the lack of feedback from the developers. People tend to think that their requests are ignored and their voice is not heard. At least if they could constantly post updates and share some development plans with the users it would dramatically improve the image of the board as a reliable product.

I also own an Odroid XU4. Besides a couple of community build Android images there are very few official roms for the board and they are rarely updated. However the active participance of the developers in the community discussions keeps the users confident that their problems will be solved sooner or later.
That's how a lack of feedback can create a negative opinions event for a product with good specs on paper....