Pinebook Pro?
(01-31-2019, 03:25 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-31-2019, 03:14 AM)soupbowl Wrote: Not that I want to flood your queue with other devices, but are you still considering a detachable keyboard tablet in the distant future?

Also since - if the picture is correct - you are keeping the same frameset, will an existing Pinebook upgrade package be available? (e.g. just purchase the Pinebook ROCK64 and replace the existing).

The PineTab is there in the announcement - how did you miss it ? :Smile

And yes, you will be able to update the existing 14" to a Pinebook Pro-like lappy. Upgrading the existing (1080p and non-1080p) 11.6" should also be possible, we just need to figure out keyboard firmware (different on 14/ 11/6") and then there is the question of thermals.

Oh God, I have no excuse - It showed up on my favourite news site too! Need a voucher for Specsavers...  Blush

And $80? You guys are honestly a dream factory for nerds like me.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
I've been out of new computer shopping mode for a while, so I had never heard of the Pinebook. However, the Pinebook Pro looks good, and I hope to get one of these when they are released. I love my Chromebook for many things, but it isn't appropriate for specialized professional work where I need to run certain Linux or (ugh) Windows apps.

It is probably way too late in the development cycle for these feature requests but maybe for the second gen...
o  Backlit keyboard. Why are these so often left out when they add so much usability and require so little extra cost? They the one thing that seems to differentiate premium laptops from low-end laptops. With some premium features already included in the Pinebook Pro, this seems like a no-brainer.
o  Expandable memory slot. (8 GB is more of a sweet spot than 4GB, but it would be great to be able to beef this up to 16 GB for running multiple VMs.)
o  This request is unusual, and it is what started me on the search that eventually led here. I would love to see a laptop that can turn into a portable KVM via either USB 3 or better, a dedicated port/cable. I sometimes work with headless servers or desktops that are delivered for forensic analysis. Activating this port would bypass the normal connections of the keyboard, display, and trackpad, and simply provide them to that port. It would be so nice to just connect a cable with USB and video adapter and temporarily turn my laptop into a KVM, but use it normally otherwise.

It seems that something like this would fill a niche market by itself even without the laptop innards and could easily be sold for the full projected price of the Pinebook Pro. But the combination would be a killer feature for IT professionals.
I was waiting for 14″ Pinebook. but, Pinebook PRO? wow! I can wait more!
Another interested new user here.  It sounds like an ideal "Chromebook upgrade".  More capable than the Acer Chromebook 14 I have now and less expensive to boot!  Where do I sign up?

Seriously, is there any better idea of when orders will open?  Is Q2 reasonable (since pre-production manufacturing is scheduled to start in March)?
Just hope PB Pro will support multi boot some easy way, not only via SD card boot. With 64/128 GB eMMC this is a must to have more than one system installed. Linux and Android would be ideal combination, maybe also with some kind of Chrome OS and even Windows 10 would be great, although not possible, I am afraid.
I'm looking to install and use NixOS on this to make my own self-made ChromeOS-like device.
New user here, really excited for this. Will order a pro for sure.
Count me as another person ridiculously excited about this. I've been needing a lightweight/inexpensive latop for ages, but want to stay away from chrome os. This seems perfect.
(01-31-2019, 07:37 AM)ahagge Wrote: Another interested new user here.  It sounds like an ideal "Chromebook upgrade".  More capable than the Acer Chromebook 14 I have now and less expensive to boot!  Where do I sign up?

Seriously, is there any better idea of when orders will open?  Is Q2 reasonable (since pre-production manufacturing is scheduled to start in March)?

If all goes well *fingers crossed and knock on wood* and there are no hardware issues, I cannot see why devs wouldn't start getting their devices in May. Then its a question of how long it will take them to port their OS' ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-31-2019, 06:46 AM)whinsch Wrote: I've been out of new computer shopping mode for a while, so I had never heard of the Pinebook. However, the Pinebook Pro looks good, and I hope to get one of these when they are released. I love my Chromebook for many things, but it isn't appropriate for specialized professional work where I need to run certain Linux or (ugh) Windows apps.

It is probably way too late in the development cycle for these feature requests but maybe for the second gen...
o  Backlit keyboard. Why are these so often left out when they add so much usability and require so little extra cost? They the one thing that seems to differentiate premium laptops from low-end laptops. With some premium features already included in the Pinebook Pro, this seems like a no-brainer.
o  Expandable memory slot. (8 GB is more of a sweet spot than 4GB, but it would be great to be able to beef this up to 16 GB for running multiple VMs.)
o  This request is unusual, and it is what started me on the search that eventually led here. I would love to see a laptop that can turn into a portable KVM via either USB 3 or better, a dedicated port/cable. I sometimes work with headless servers or desktops that are delivered for forensic analysis. Activating this port would bypass the normal connections of the keyboard, display, and trackpad, and simply provide them to that port. It would be so nice to just connect a cable with USB and video adapter and temporarily turn my laptop into a KVM, but use it normally otherwise.

It seems that something like this would fill a niche market by itself even without the laptop innards and could easily be sold for the full projected price of the Pinebook Pro. But the combination would be a killer feature for IT professionals.

+1 on the backlit keyboard - I appreciate this os much and so often on my Surface 4 Pro and really miss it on all mu other machines, especially my CB...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,901 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,218 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,118 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt