What do you actually use your Pinebook for?
Hello all. 
I thought it would be interesting to ask what people use their Pinebook for?
There seem to be a fair few tech savvy people and coders. Are there any more casual users like myself?
I just wanted a cheap laptop that ran Ubuntu.
it will be interesting to get a feel of what people use their machines for.
Not as much as I had hoped for. The keyboard (or more correctly the lack of the quote and backslash/pipe key on the right side) is kind of disappointing. When I look at photos of the 14" Pinebook the " and | keys are where I would expect them, but for some reason they removed/moved them on the 11".

I do a fair bit of Linux stuff, and writing blogs, I find myself going back to my Chromebook to do the writing because of the poor key placement of the 11" keyboard on the Pinebook.
I just really wanted some ARM single-board computer in a laptop casing with low power consumption (and hence a good battery life), which would run Linux and had a good portability (thin, light, compact) and reasonable price tag. Performance was not much a concern for me. I saw a lot of options (was looking for something like that for almost 10 years, since I found about OpenPandora). And finally, when I found about 11.6" Pinebook (which was roughly in beginning of this year), I instantly thought it was a type of device I was looking for. Unfortunately, at that point of time, production of 14" model was running and it was uncertain, whether there would be a new 11.6" batch.

But eventually, production was restarted and I got my 11.6" Pinebook.

While I'm a coder, I don't use it often for programming (even though it's keyboard is decent, it's not perfect for reasons mentioned by cvmiller). I usually use it for working via SSH on remote machines (it makes a really nice portable terminal for that), reading various tech docs, articles etc. via browser. And in my free time, I also use it to play some games, like NetHack, GNU Backgammon, Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection.

I'd say it's a really great device, when you know it's strengths.
I use it for Browsing the net, coding Python and LISP. I have coded 32-bit assembler on a RSPI , I might try 64-bit Assembler on the Pinebook, if I can find a good book. Its a great non-WinTel laptop!
I use mine for on-the-go programming when plugs are luxuries. I find you can easily maintain power to the Pinebook with a mobile phone battery pack, which is decent. I keep some low-power projects onboard for no internet situations, and my intensive projects I use AWS Cloud9.

I'd like to use it more, but the bam-bam keyboard is rather frustrating. I'm also apparently too cold-blooded for the trackpad to work.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
I have a 14" and a 11" with the HD display. I use them as cheap, inexpensive day to day workhorses. Nothing too complex, mostly Office stuff, a bit surfing, things like that. I would love to use them as MAME machines as well - like I do with the Raspi - but unfortunately, there is no GPU support. And no DRM. Which is a bummer.
So I use them less than I should have and all that's left is the fat that I don't lose a sh!tload of money, should they get lost, stolen or broken.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,207 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 919 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,258 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,590 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 956 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,596 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,498 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,681 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,607 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,975 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg