Set Static IP
Hi all,

I want to set a static IP on my Pine running latest Android build. There is a sub menu for setting an IP on WiFi but there's no option if you use wired connection.

For that reason, I have successfully connected my Pine to my Windows PC via SSH client but trying to edit /etc/network/interfaces returns command not found.

What am I doing wrong?
(05-31-2016, 07:09 AM)g_t_j Wrote: Hi all,

I want to set a static IP on my Pine running latest Android build. There is a sub menu for setting an IP on WiFi but there's no option if you use wired connection.

For that reason, I have successfully connected my Pine to my Windows PC via SSH client but trying to edit /etc/network/interfaces returns command not found.

What am I doing wrong?

One workaround would be to assign an IP address to the board's MAC address in your router's settings, provided you have access to the settings. I'm still waiting on my board, but have done this with several other devices(printers, NAS, security camera DVR, etc.) on my network with no issues.
(05-31-2016, 07:34 AM)Inuyasha Wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

One workaround would be to assign an IP address to the board's MAC address in your router's settings, provided you have access to the settings.  I'm still waiting on my board, but have done this with several other devices(printers, NAS, security camera DVR, etc.) on my network with no issues.
Thanks for your prompt answer.

I'm logging in my router's settings, DHCP reservation and find 2 devices under the name android-435f08589afa33fb. That's probably because I got 2 pines running on my LAN.

When I try to assign a reserved IP for 1 of the Pines with a specific MAC address, if I try to change the MAC address to the one corresponding with what is written under the Pine's Label, I get a message ''IP conflict''.

The thing is that the Pine I'm trying to configure and has an IP 192.168.0.14 shows a different MAC address under router's settings than the one written on its label.
(05-31-2016, 08:24 AM)g_t_j Wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

One workaround would be to assign an IP address to the board's MAC address in your router's settings, provided you have access to the settings.  I'm still waiting on my board, but have done this with several other devices(printers, NAS, security camera DVR, etc.) on my network with no issues.

I'm logging in my router's settings, DHCP reservation and find 2 devices under the name android-435f08589afa33fb. That's probably because I got 2 pines running on my LAN.

When I try to assign a reserved IP for 1 of the Pines with a specific MAC address, if I try to change the MAC address to the one corresponding with what is written under the Pine's Label, I get a message ''IP conflict''.

The thing is that the Pine I'm trying to configure and has an IP 192.168.0.14 shows a different MAC address under router's settings than the one written on its label.

Are you trying the same IP address as what is currently assigned, or are you trying a different IP address? Is it saving the settings? One thing you can try if you are trying to use the one already assigned, and it is saving the settings, is to reboot the device, then see if you are still getting the IP conflict message.
(05-31-2016, 08:44 AM)Inuyasha Wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Are you trying the same IP address as what is currently assigned, or are you trying a different IP address?  Is it saving the settings?  One thing you can try if you are trying to use the one already assigned, and it is saving the settings, is to reboot the device, then see if you are still getting the IP conflict message.

I have successfully reserved IP's for both the Pines connected to my LAN. 

I eventually kept those 2 dynamically assigned by my router. I then saved and reboot the device and and when the router restarted, it assigned those 2 IP's I had specified.

I didn't get to assign the desired IP's but this is not something that bothers me much as longs as the Pines keep their IP's stably from now on.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
(05-31-2016, 09:41 AM)g_t_j Wrote:
(05-31-2016, 08:44 AM)Inuyasha Wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Are you trying the same IP address as what is currently assigned, or are you trying a different IP address?  Is it saving the settings?  One thing you can try if you are trying to use the one already assigned, and it is saving the settings, is to reboot the device, then see if you are still getting the IP conflict message.

I have successfully reserved IP's for both the Pines connected to my LAN. 

I eventually kept those 2 dynamically assigned by my router. I then saved and reboot the device and and when the router restarted, it assigned those 2 IP's I had specified.

I didn't get to assign the desired IP's but this is not something that bothers me much as longs as the Pines keep their IP's stably from now on.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

No problem! Glad you got it working!