On the matter of the proposed Pine64 mobile device (a potentially unpopular opinion)
I quite like the idea of a PinePhone. Yes, the Librem stuff exists, but it's pretty expensive compared to what Pine64 seem to be offering.

I don't actually want much out of a phone. I barely use the camera, and really just want to be able to call people, text them, browse the web (on mobile data) and occasionally use a few Linux CLI things (via termux). And I value battery life over shaving off 1mm. Unfortunately, the dominance of Android means that if I want that I also need gigabytes of bloat and spying, and battery life drops every year. I doubt that whatever Pine64 makes will ever catch on in the mainstream, but I'm sure there are at *least* a dozen people who agree with me on this!

I'm not sure what your point with ARM extensions and enterprise stuff is. I doubt anyone using single-board computers is going to care much if they can squeeze a tiny bit more performance out with different instructions.
Sorry for double-posting, but I can't edit my previous post until it gets moderator-approved or whatever and would like to say this. What I'd really love is a Pine64-based phone with a decent, physical QWERTY keyboard, but that's probably not happening.
I would would like a phone that I can use whatever OS I want on it without rooting and have long battery life as well.
The " " Pine Phone" " is already here. 
I can make calls on my Pine64LTS/android6 through Google Hangouts.
Portability is a bit of a problem due to using a 40inch TV screen plus power source(usb)  and connectivity{etho) is through a old broadband modem already being used as a wifi range extender. A pine screen, battery and wifi would make moving around easier except I've already have a cheap $30 phone which itself is too small and easily missplaced . Lucky I can ring it from my Pine64!
If it can made using a 5" to 6"screen and way better battery life then your average phone and it is affordable, I would be very inclined to buy one or the phone kit if that is what's only available.

I could care less if it a bit thicker then my current phone.
(02-01-2019, 02:33 PM)osmarks Wrote: I quite like the idea of a PinePhone. Yes, the Librem stuff exists, but it's pretty expensive compared to what Pine64 seem to be offering.

I don't actually want much out of a phone. I barely use the camera, and really just want to be able to call people, text them, browse the web (on mobile data) and occasionally use a few Linux CLI things (via termux). And I value battery life over shaving off 1mm. Unfortunately, the dominance of Android means that if I want that I also need gigabytes of bloat and spying, and battery life drops every year. I doubt that whatever Pine64 makes will ever catch on in the mainstream, but I'm sure there are at *least* a dozen people who agree with me on this!

I'm not sure what your point with ARM extensions and enterprise stuff is. I doubt anyone using single-board computers is going to care much if they can squeeze a tiny bit more performance out with different instructions.

I agree with all of this. At this point, I'm much more interested in phone that I have control over, than one that is incredibly thin and beautiful. I don't think I represent the majority by any means, but I think there's a big enough market to make this a viable niche.
Probaby a very un-popular opinion but here goes...

I would greatly enjoy a phone, selling at $350 price point, if it could have essentially the same specs as a PineBook Pro, 4GB RAM, RK3399 SoC, and 64GB eMMC, and has a 1080p 6" LCD. Such a phone would be a viable competitor spec-wise with almost any mid-range Android phone in the same price range, and also competing with older flagship devices on the used market. If eMMC can be swapped out, that could negate the need for having a 64GB eMMC built-in, you could reduce price by having a 8GB or 16GB one, and the user could upgrade up to 128GB.

P.S Samsung and Toshiba both have 256GB and 512GB eMMC chip's available right now. Why hasn't any company started building eMMC modules, like the Odroid-compatible ones used in PineBook? With the PineBook Pro coming out, I would buy one instantly if I knew I could upgrade the eMMC to 256GB or 512GB, which would be more than enough for me to replace my current laptop. I know, PineBook Pro does have the M.2 slot, but I plan on using that to add an LTE card(Yep, there are LTE modules available, if I add one of those, I can have internet wherever I go, without WiFi, just like a Windows always-connected PC). I would buy a 512GB eMMC for a PineBook, even if it cost twice as much as an equivalent-sized SSD...
(02-01-2019, 05:18 AM)InsideJob Wrote: IMO, $150 4G LTE upgrades for the new tablet and laptop would be a niche you could dominate. There's too much competition with phones. And if we could actually make phone calls on our tablet like with the expensive Huawei Mediapad M5, well then I think you'd have a must-buy product every Linux fan will want.

I already have a Nexus 5 running Ubuntu Touch OTA-7 and I'm posting this from a DeX Dock connected to a Dell 24" touchscreen. I just don't see a use for the phone other than hacking around with the LTE modem. I mean, I'm probably that bored with life and will buy one anyways but most people... I dunno.

There is an USB port extension that inside Pinetab for optional m.2 SATA SSD (ket B) or LTE modem (Data only, no voice).
(02-04-2019, 12:30 PM)mzs.112000 Wrote: Probaby a very un-popular opinion but here goes...

I would greatly enjoy a phone, selling at $350 price point, if it could have essentially the same specs as a PineBook Pro, 4GB RAM, RK3399 SoC, and 64GB eMMC, and has a 1080p 6" LCD. Such a phone would be a viable competitor spec-wise with almost any mid-range Android phone in the same price range, and also competing with older flagship devices on the used market. If eMMC can be swapped out, that could negate the need for having a 64GB eMMC built-in, you could reduce price by having a 8GB or 16GB one, and the user could upgrade up to 128GB.

P.S Samsung and Toshiba both have 256GB and 512GB eMMC chip's available right now. Why hasn't any company started building eMMC modules, like the Odroid-compatible ones used in PineBook? With the PineBook Pro coming out, I would buy one instantly if I knew I could upgrade the eMMC to 256GB or 512GB, which would be more than enough for me to replace my current laptop. I know, PineBook Pro does have the M.2 slot, but I plan on using that to add an LTE card(Yep, there are LTE modules available, if I add one of those, I can have internet wherever I go, without WiFi, just like a Windows always-connected PC). I would buy a 512GB eMMC for a PineBook, even if it cost twice as much as an equivalent-sized SSD...

the Pinenook from day one already has the eMMC module plug in capability :-), the Pinebook Pro and PineTab will follow this trend. However, noable to implement eMMC module in PinePhone due to PCB real estate concern and also phone thickness (8.5 mm).
That's a shame. Will it take SD cards?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to connect to Pine64 IRC channel due to certificate error? Must-Borrow 1 369 03-10-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Must-Borrow
  Forum Recommendations for Pine64 support? backwoodstech2 0 367 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  Im thinking of building a Pine64 cluster Theirat1991 1 552 01-12-2024, 03:31 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PINE64 EU / Disappointment yoriel79 1 863 12-24-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: meekice
  How is it going Pine64.org? Corfromleuven 2 1,048 12-23-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: polinkuer12
  Registering my 'nick' on Pine64's IRC network diederik 5 1,161 11-13-2023, 07:36 PM
Last Post: ilebagels
  pine64 opensource dumbphone Phie 13 3,844 08-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Phie
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,507 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  My Pine64 Logo Re-Design & Thoughts About A New Logo me! 0 706 04-24-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: me!
  Which Pine64 single-board computer has NO on-board wireless modules? peteressive 2 1,290 03-10-2023, 03:35 PM
Last Post: peteressive