benefits of eMMC?
Question 
I'm considering buying a RockPro64 to use as a NAS and general server, I saw that one could buy eMMC modules to use as internal memory for the board. I have a few questions here:
  • What is the benefit of using eMMC rather than SD card? Speed, longer lifetime or the storage?
  • How is the eMMC module attached to the board? I couldn't identify an obvious slot or similar connection.
  • What is the purpose of the USB adapter, is it to "burn" the OS image to the eMMC or do you need it to attach the eMMC to the board?
(10-01-2018, 02:20 PM)SirSkorpan Wrote:
  • What is the benefit of using eMMC rather than SD card? Speed, longer lifetime or the storage?
Yes, Yes & not really - 64GB on eMMC is trivially smaller than 64GB on SD card due to storage reserved for error allocation.

• How is the eMMC module attached to the board? I couldn't identify an obvious slot or similar connection.
See item 14.

• What is the purpose of the USB adapter, is it to "burn" the OS image to the eMMC or do you need it to attach the eMMC to the board?
To burn the image to the eMMC. (It does simplify things but it is not essential.)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Thanks a lot for the answer!

There seems to be something wrong with the wiki, I'm redirected to the store when I try to click the link, but I think I found a low res picture of the board layout.

Is it this one? So to the right (in this picture) of the PCIe slot? (It does look very much like the end of the USB adapter, maybe I should have seen that  Rolleyes
high res picture
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
my SOHO NAS RockPro64 4GB v2.1 / eMMC 32GB / PCIe -> 4*SATA Marvell 88SE9235 / SD-card 64 GB / NAS Casing / image Debian Stretch Minimal / Kernel 4.4.xxx ayufan
my Multimedia desktops: ASUS H310T G5500, ODROIDs -XU4, -XU3, -C2, -C1;
my trash BananaPi; RPi B, B+; ODROID-W
Still seems that there is something wrong with the links to the wiki, I keep being redirected to the shop, but I think I understand how it looks.

Sorry about the weird image-tag it seems I got the image data instead of the link. Apparently one cannot edit one's posts, hopefully some moderator can remove the tag Sad
(10-02-2018, 01:24 AM)SirSkorpan Wrote: Still seems that there is something wrong with the links to the wiki, I keep being redirected to the shop, but I think I understand how it looks.

Sorry about the weird image-tag it seems I got the image data instead of the link. Apparently one cannot edit one's posts, hopefully some moderator can remove the tag Sad

Done. Thanks for prompting us Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can i use this Emmc for Rockpro 64 Supratec 0 400 09-02-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Supratec
  Pad to level Emmc like the PineBook Pro JessicaQ 0 995 08-18-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: JessicaQ
  eMMC can't be recognize after 6 months idle seanlee 10 11,029 12-24-2019, 04:35 AM
Last Post: abdel
  Emmc issue? stuartiannaylor 6 7,297 08-16-2019, 06:41 AM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
  eMMC support themyshop 2 4,467 09-24-2018, 06:20 AM
Last Post: themyshop
  Foresee NCEMASLG-64G 64 GB eMMC module unreadable lucho 7 8,233 08-05-2018, 03:58 AM
Last Post: paradise