HDMI display + resistive touch layer.
Hey everyone. 
I am planning on building a (editedSmile "table PC" using the Rock64 (don't have it yet). I have an old monitor from my old laptop for which I bought a controller board and would like to use it somehow. But I would also like to add a touch layer to the LCD. More precisely this resistive touch layer

However, I have no idea, if or how is that supported on Rock64, so if anyone can give me an advice if it will even work, or how to make it work, I would greatly appreciate it. 
Thanks, everyone.
(10-01-2018, 07:18 AM)Stratos Wrote: Hey everyone. 
I am planning on building a "home theater" PC using the Rock64 (don't have it yet). I have an old monitor from my old laptop for which I bought a controller board and would like to use it somehow. But I would also like to add a touch layer to the LCD. More precisely this resistive touch layer

However, I have no idea, if or how is that supported on Rock64, so if anyone can give me an advice if it will even work, or how to make it work, I would greatly appreciate it. 
Thanks, everyone.

I wonder...why the screen and the touch and all that complexity? im going so asume a bit here, lets say you plan to use kodi, you can remote control kodi with any cellphone and most tablets with an app called kore, imo its more practicall to use what you have for this use case, grab that old tablet getting dust in the bottom of a drawer and use it for this...personally i was using a cellphone for this but after some time using it i found that its super cool and all but when you REALLY start to use it it becomes anoying kinda fast, you want to pause now, without looking at the device, i ended using for everyday use a flymouse remote, its a mouse when you need a mouse, disabled most of the time, its a keyboard when you need it, and most of the time i use it on the remote side, instant pause, instant forward when needed, volume at a single touch, no need to enter menus or anything all the "cool" browsing and selection you end looking at the big screen anyway all the time...and the same applies with allmost any other media player/center, you end watching the big screen and using an actual remote where you memorize the keys and never need to move the eyes from the screen...again, all the screen and touch stuff is super cool, but ends being the kind of cool you use a dozen times and gets annoying and ends unused...(its my humble opinion, but i feel that im not alone on this)
TLDR: The rock64 as a media center is a good choice IMO, but before spending on the screen and crazy stuff and the time spent setting all try the kore app i suggested a few weeks...
PD: i think i saw a similar behavior on plex, you can chose content on the portable app and decide where to play it, i dont use plex so i dont know exactly how to do this but the same applies...
(10-01-2018, 09:00 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 07:18 AM)Stratos Wrote: Hey everyone. 
I am planning on building a "home theater" PC using the Rock64 (don't have it yet). I have an old monitor from my old laptop for which I bought a controller board and would like to use it somehow. But I would also like to add a touch layer to the LCD. More precisely this resistive touch layer

Thanks, everyone.

I wonder...why the screen and the touch and all that complexity? im going so asume a bit here, lets say you plan to use kodi, you can remote control kodi with any cellphone and most tablets with an app called kore, imo its more practicall to use what you have for this use case, grab that old tablet getting dust in the bottom of a drawer and use it for this...personally i was using a cellphone for this but after some time using it i found that its super cool and all but when you REALLY start to use it it becomes anoying kinda fast, you want to pause now, without looking at the device, i ended using for everyday use a flymouse remote, its a mouse when you need a mouse, disabled most of the time, its a keyboard when you need it, and most of the time i use it on the remote side, instant pause, instant forward when needed, volume at a single touch, no need to enter menus or anything all the "cool" browsing and selection you end looking at the big screen anyway all the time...and the same applies with allmost any other media player/center, you end watching the big screen and using an actual remote where you memorize the keys and never need to move the eyes from the screen...again, all the screen and touch stuff is super cool, but ends being the kind of cool you use a dozen times and gets annoying and ends unused...(its my humble opinion, but i feel that im not alone on this)
TLDR: The rock64 as a media center is a good choice IMO, but before spending on the screen and crazy stuff and the time spent setting all try the kore app i suggested a few weeks...
PD: i think i saw a similar behavior on plex, you can chose content on the portable app and decide where to play it, i dont use plex so i dont know exactly how to do this but the same applies...
Because yesterday, I didn't really meant home theater (that's why it was in quotes), but rathet table PC made using rock64 and that touch layer. I just totaly forget that table PCs exist yesterday. Big Grin sorry for the "confusion". 
I also edited my post.
Also, btw, you totally missed to answer my question...
Hi,

I highly recommend you to use capacitive touch screen, it's used on 99% of phones and tablets (resistive touch screens are for projects where is required "real touch" sensitivity etc.). The most easiest solution for you is search on ebay for "usb capacitive touch screen", resp. "usb capacitive touch screen YOURDISPLAYSIZE".

Good luck,
-gamiee
Check out the waveshare LCD display solution, select the HDMI in and USB in as touch screen input. In general capacitive type is more responsive compare to resistive type, capacitive capable for multi-touch and resistive typical only single point touch. Howeevr, resistive is good for workplace that need to ware glove where capacitive don't work.

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/Category:OLEDs_/_LCDs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [FIXED] AV Acess 4KSW41-KVM 4-port HDMI+USB KVM PDXpi 2 4,718 01-25-2021, 08:18 PM
Last Post: PDXpi
  Display options for the Rock64 joey49 1 3,734 11-23-2020, 09:52 AM
Last Post: joey49
  Will Gert's VGA666 adapter work with the Rock64? Other display options? pcosm 0 1,689 05-03-2019, 01:32 AM
Last Post: pcosm
  HDMI resolution control S.I. 0 1,608 03-25-2019, 02:22 AM
Last Post: S.I.
  connect lvds display to rock64? heocb 1 3,505 08-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Last Post: mcerveny
  21:9 display (lg ultrawide) fczuardi 3 4,555 06-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Last Post: gaggleoxfoggy
  HDMI output 1280x1024 in any distro Davo-CC 2 3,744 02-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Davo-CC
  Interfacing display bencrosby 1 3,103 01-03-2018, 03:17 AM
Last Post: Osiander