Ways to boot the Clusterboard
Hi,

even though the sopine64 module itself supports PXE boot I read some post that u cant PXE boot all the boards on a clusterboard. Currently you can only boot up to 6 sopines from the 7th.

Another ways is having your independet Linux on each Sopine and update them manually or by some tools like cssh or writing your own scripts..

Am I missing something?

Greetings,
Khaosgrille
(09-21-2018, 01:26 AM)khaosgrille Wrote: even though the sopine64 module itself supports PXE boot I read some post that u cant PXE boot all the boards on a clusterboard. Currently you can only boot up to 6 sopines from the 7th.

I realize this is an old post, but assuming your clusterboard is connected to your network and you have a separate PXE server, why would you not be able to boot all 7 of your SOPINEs from the external PXE server?
Wait, what... you can boot 6 of the sopines from the 7th? How? I'm more than happy to have six of them boot from the 7th, with the 7th acting as an orchestrator / manager for the other 6. I'm presuming you mean the primary one is the one which has the eMMC module?

@jbobspants: I'm guessing they're not being booting by PXE, as AFAIK, PXE networking wasn't working properly with the custerboard - but perhaps that is only for interfacing with anything beyond the switch in uboot... hm... food for thought!
Oh, from the wording of the first post, I just assumed he was talking about PXE booting 6 of the modules from a PXE server running on the 7th module. I read that ayufan had implemented a PXE boot loader that could be installed on the SPI flash, but considering I'm having issues getting ANY networking to work properly on my clusterboard, I hadn't even started looking into that option.
(01-28-2019, 01:07 PM)jbobspants Wrote: Oh, from the wording of the first post, I just assumed he was talking about PXE booting 6 of the modules from a PXE server running on the 7th module. I read that ayufan had implemented a PXE boot loader that could be installed on the SPI flash, but considering I'm having issues getting ANY networking to work properly on my clusterboard, I hadn't even started looking into that option.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well, which would be a marked improvement on the state of affairs when I tried it last, and couldn't get any of the them to PXE boot off a external PXE server... and since my intention for them to be run in a cluster, with the primary node being the orchestrator for them, the booting of 6 off the one (with eMMC) would be just fine...

Would just be nice if there was some (even dot-pointed) documentation to indicate if this works, any workarounds that needed to be implmentnted, and limitations/quirks. i.e. Do you have to fully boot the first module up, and then reset all the others? Or do they hang-around and retry for long enough for it to boot and announce? Was this with a patched uboot? mainline kernel? etc.
Sorry for the long pause.

I just read somewhere that it is supposed to be possible to boot 6 boards from the 7nth.

Right now i am thinking about giving https://www.barebox.org/ a try. It seems to be more versitaile than u boot and maybe i can do more with it.
https://github.com/janwillies/u-boot/rel...19.01-cb-1 i just found this and will test it some time

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Managed Ethernet switch on the Clusterboard dsimic 6 5,205 01-16-2024, 02:05 AM
Last Post: hazcam
  Selling Clusterboard + 4 sopine xblack86 7 5,730 09-26-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  clusterboard availability? linear 1 1,576 07-17-2022, 06:44 AM
  Clusterboard not getting IP address after network fix Norlark 14 12,263 08-30-2021, 05:00 PM
  When would be the Clusterboard back on stock? __kzl__ 5 5,136 08-16-2021, 03:52 AM
  Schematics for customising the Clusterboard TechDragon 0 2,045 05-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Last Post: TechDragon
Information Clusterboard Guide AZClusterboard 9 23,164 04-06-2021, 06:32 AM
Brick Clusterboard CAD drawings TeaPack 1 3,765 03-31-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Pine
  New Clusterboard Setup wargfn 5 7,221 01-01-2021, 10:10 AM
  Clusterboard does not even turn on? poVoq 3 6,136 08-15-2020, 07:31 AM