Can't get it to start up
(04-16-2016, 01:19 PM)yourhighpriestess Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 05:28 PM)quintonc Wrote: Your experience mirrors my own...  I flashed the android image to my SD card with the win32 disk imager method which I have used to great success on several raspberry pis. I tried 2 different micro USB power supplies, a LiPo battery, a PC power supply with an adapter to connect to pin 2 and 6 on the e bus. All to no avail. I was about to give up but after reading dozens of threads I went back to the SD card. Verified my SD card with  H2testw which it passed. Re-flashed using the phoenix utility. The flashing failed two times but was successful on the third. At least then I got the Pine64 Logo. Still working on it but I am now at least confident that I can get it to boot.  

Try the Phoenix Card burn method...

Used Phoenix to write it and nothing. I'm thinking about Win32 Imager now.

This is new..

When I wrote Android back on it and plugged it in, the screen is black and the power light on the monitor flashes.

can't get it to burn

(04-17-2016, 11:30 AM)yourhighpriestess Wrote: can't get it to burn

Phoenix Card does the following: It checks your card's capacity, then it does a quick format of the card, then applies a MBR (master boot record) and then starts to partition the card in a way that one of the partitions in the middle will be resized to the maximum to store user data later. Android creates a whole bunch of partitions, see here for an example: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...83#pid4883

When you're using a fake card (reporting more capacity than actually available), then since Phoenix Card uses some primitive checksumming it will report fake cards as such. With an error since the last data parts can not be written/verified. Some background on fake cards: http://www.happybison.com/reviews/how-to...sd-card-8/

Most important step before you try to use any flash based media: Check it first (see link above, on Windows you can use 3 different free tools)
(04-17-2016, 11:30 AM)yourhighpriestess Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 05:28 PM)quintonc Wrote: Your experience mirrors my own...  I flashed the android image to my SD card with the win32 disk imager method which I have used to great success on several raspberry pis. I tried 2 different micro USB power supplies, a LiPo battery, a PC power supply with an adapter to connect to pin 2 and 6 on the e bus. All to no avail. I was about to give up but after reading dozens of threads I went back to the SD card. Verified my SD card with  H2testw which it passed. Re-flashed using the phoenix utility. The flashing failed two times but was successful on the third. At least then I got the Pine64 Logo. Still working on it but I am now at least confident that I can get it to boot.  

This is new..

When I wrote Android back on it and plugged it in, the screen is black and the power light on the monitor flashes.

can't get it to burn

Is this the same 512GB microSD you mention trying to use in this thread?
Just tossing my hat into the same ring as everyone else. I can't get my Pine64 to boot. I've gotten as far as the "APine 64" splash screen with RemixOS. I've tried Several SD cards, several power adapters and even bought a 2.5a 5V just to be sure. I've used dd and Phoenix to flash the cards. I've booted with just power, just power and HDMI, etc. I've double checked with other tutorials. At this point I sorta give up on the Pine64. I spent 22 bucks and either the boards are defective or it's another scenario I don't understand; Go through all the trouble and work of creating something like this and then failing at the finish line with a pathway to utilize the product and no answers for users who simply can't get it to boot.

So far all I've read online is excuses that I have bad SD cards or bad power supplies. My Raspberry PIs NEVER gave me issues like this. *Shrug - Tosses it into the tech recycling bin*
(04-17-2016, 01:56 PM)MasterHyjinx Wrote: *Shrug - Tosses it into the tech recycling bin*

So you did a lot of things without a real concept mainly because the Pine64 folks refuse to provide a clear quickstart guide how to get the stuff up and running.

Using dd with the 'official' Android/RemixOS images won't work. Using Phoenix Card with Linux images won't also work.

When you see the Pine64 screen when trying to boot an Android or Remix OS image then this means that you successfully burnt the image to TF card using Phoenix Card. When you don't see the floating RemixOS logo after some seconds then this means most probably that Ethernet was connected in this stage. Might this be possible? At least it's a well known problem that is 100% reproducible (and not mentioned by the Pine64 guys). With connected Ethernet both Android and RemixOS will not get past the very first boot stage. You can wait 5 minutes, 10 hours or 2 weeks. It won't work since Ethernet has to be disconnected on 1st boot when trying out any Android bases OS image.

So in case you want to give it a try again...
(04-17-2016, 12:37 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 11:30 AM)yourhighpriestess Wrote:

This is new..

can't get it to burn

Is this the same 512GB microSD you mention trying to use in this thread?

I haven't use the 512 yet.. I have like a dozen of these cards. So far I have used my 32 and 16 cards and they are not working well. I doubt best buy would sell me fakes.

(04-17-2016, 02:13 PM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 01:56 PM)MasterHyjinx Wrote: *Shrug - Tosses it into the tech recycling bin*

So you did a lot of things without a real concept mainly because the Pine64 folks refuse to provide a clear quickstart guide how to get the stuff up and running.

Using dd with the 'official' Android/RemixOS images won't work. Using Phoenix Card with Linux images won't also work.

When you see the Pine64 screen when trying to boot an Android or Remix OS image then this means that you successfully burnt the image to TF card using Phoenix Card. When you don't see the floating RemixOS logo after some seconds then this means most probably that Ethernet was connected in this stage. Might this be possible? At least it's a well known problem that is 100% reproducible (and not mentioned by the Pine64 guys). With connected Ethernet both Android and RemixOS will not get past the very first boot stage. You can wait 5 minutes, 10 hours or 2 weeks. It won't work since Ethernet has to be disconnected on 1st boot when trying out any Android bases OS image.

So in case you want to give it a try again...

there's a pine screen?
(04-17-2016, 03:28 PM)yourhighpriestess Wrote: I haven't use the 512 yet.. I have like a dozen of these cards. So far I have used my 32 and 16 cards and they are not working well. I doubt best buy would sell me fakes.

Ok, time to finally quit. Wasting time in this useless forum is moronic.
(04-17-2016, 12:24 PM)tkaiser Wrote:

Phoenix Card does the following: It checks your card's capacity, then it does a quick format of the card, then applies a MBR (master boot record) and then starts to partition the card in a way that one of the partitions in the middle will be resized to the maximum to store user data later. Android creates a whole bunch of partitions, see here for an example: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...83#pid4883

When you're using a fake card (reporting more capacity than actually available), then since Phoenix Card uses some primitive checksumming it will report fake cards as such. With an error since the last data parts can not be written/verified. Some background on fake cards: http://www.happybison.com/reviews/how-to...sd-card-8/

Most important step before you try to use any flash based media: Check it first (see link above, on Windows you can use 3 different free tools)

I care nothing about fake cards. I Best Buy I'm sure don't sell fakes.

1. Cards were burned. 
2. Board gets the card, power and monitor with LAN all connected.
3. Nothing on the monitor when I try to start it.
4. Monitor has two plugs. VGA and DVI. There is an adapter on the DVI for the HDMI.
5. Plug is from my tablet. Have tried it when another one that is a USB connected to the plug for my tablet and the cord is thick. 

I never had this trouble when it came to getting the Pi2 to work. I'm starting to think that Pine64 has failed, since I have seen how many others are having the same problems that I'm having. 

I have built computers my whole life (my dad sold computers in the 70's and I was the one who helped him get them up and running) and this is the ONLY computer to make me want to take a hammer to it. 

Now if no one can help me with this, BUGGER OFF. Go away and leave the thread.

(04-17-2016, 03:34 PM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 03:28 PM)yourhighpriestess Wrote: I haven't use the 512 yet.. I have like a dozen of these cards. So far I have used my 32 and 16 cards and they are not working well. I doubt best buy would sell me fakes.

It doesn't help with people who just attack and go off topic. If anyone is a moron, it's anyone who decides to waste MY time talking about anything other than the problem I'm having.
(04-18-2016, 08:39 PM)yourhighpriestess Wrote:

1. Cards were burned. 
4. Monitor has two plugs. VGA and DVI. There is an adapter on the DVI for the HDMI.
5. Plug is from my tablet. Have tried it when another one that is a USB connected to the plug for my tablet and the cord is thick. 

I never had this trouble when it came to getting the Pi2 to work. I'm starting to think that Pine64 has failed, since I have seen how many others are having the same problems that I'm having. 

I have built computers my whole life (my dad sold computers in the 70's and I was the one who helped him get them up and running) and this is the ONLY computer to make me want to take a hammer to it. 

It doesn't help with people who just attack and go off topic. If anyone is a moron, it's anyone who decides to waste MY time talking about anything other than the problem I'm having.

There are known problems using HDMI > VGA/DVI adapters

Must use 5 volt power supply which provides at minimum 2 amps of current

There was also an issue with having ethernet cable (LAN) plugged in on boot-up
(04-18-2016, 10:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 08:39 PM)yourhighpriestess Wrote:

1. Cards were burned. 

There are known problems using HDMI > VGA/DVI adapters

Must use 5 volt power supply which provides at minimum 2 amps of current

There was also an issue with having ethernet cable (LAN) plugged in on boot-up

no lan on boot up?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Session fails to fully start after unexpected power off during initial upgrade Avron 0 1,877 03-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Avron
  Where do I start? dhewko 6 7,627 06-16-2016, 03:55 AM
Last Post: dhewko
  Start-Up Advice irobot 1 3,612 05-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Luke