Pine LCD on Rock64Pro
I have read the threads on the 7” LCD that Pine sells.

I am looking to get this working on the Rock64Pro, but using the Bionic LXDE image.

1. No LCD by default. No power on, no backlight. HDMI works by default.
2. I tried setting the uEvb.txt lines, but that doesn’t existing in /boot/. Adding it had no effect.

Anyone able to help point me in the right direction?
(08-22-2018, 11:20 PM)DStanman Wrote: I have read the threads on the 7” LCD that Pine sells.

I am looking to get this working on the Rock64Pro, but using the Bionic LXDE image.

2. I tried setting the uEvb.txt lines, but that doesn’t existing in /boot/. Adding it had no effect.

The ROCKPro64 with 7" LCD display panel only works on current stock Android build which has been stated on 7" LCD display panel page. There is no Linux OS build available yet.
(08-24-2018, 04:33 PM)tllim Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 11:20 PM)DStanman Wrote: I have read the threads on the 7” LCD that Pine sells.

The ROCKPro64 with 7" LCD display panel only works on current stock Android build which has been stated on 7" LCD display panel page. There is no Linux OS build available yet.

Thanks - I saw this but also saw references to that display working in Linux in Armbian, but I guess that was the Allwinner SoC

I seem to only be able to find the release builds for 4.4 kernel and no recent source at all. I am presuming the 50GB Android SDK has the working kernel source for the MiPi DSI,  VDO, and I’ve seen mainstream kernel patches for the 3399 to support it as well. No reference to it in the overlay though.

I’m happy to port/patch this in, but it would be helpful to have the actual latest build system to do so from. Or maybe if someone knows exactly what to do but hasn’t had the time I could help “sponsor” that effort? 

How can I help enable this functionality for everyone?
Hi,
realise this is an old thread, but did you get anywhere with this?
I too would like to use the LCD with LXDE.
Can't use Android.
Dunnoh if it helps, but mainline 4.18 kernel is readily buildable as per this post.

4.19-rc4 tree is also buildable - just pull the source from Ayufan instead.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
So, I've read that it only works on android, and I want to get LXDE working with my touchscreen...  I saw this post in regards to the Pine64 and got my hopes up - https://github.com/avafinger/pine64-touchscreen - I just upgraded to bionic-lxde 0.7-11.1075 and noticed that the touchscreen module was compiled into the kernel  CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_GT9XX=y

In another another post, it was mentioned 

Code:
If I am not mistaken LCD should work with ayufans images as well as armbian pretty much out-of-the-box. In ayufan's images you need to set the following value in uEnv.txt: 
Code:
disp_screen0=lcd
Edit: not 100% this makes TP work out of the box ...

Edit 2: regarding armbian (from their docs): 

Quote:
 LCD with touchscreen support can simply be activated in  /boot/armbianEnv.txt by setting pine64_lcd=on and adding gt9xxf_ts to /etc/modules followed by a reboot. 

BUT, I stopped using linux before this whole uboot thing, so I have no idea where to change my command line options are,  Grub, sure.  Lilo, sure.  Plus it really doesn't help that this rockpro64 is fast as hell and up before you know it Wink

If anyone figures this out, please post what you did here.  If it includes screwing with uboot, please explain it a little more thoroughly because I don't have a backup emmc chip and I just got the whole environment almost all set up.

Thanks!
Anyluck ?
Possibly not... the referenced material above was specific to the pine64, not the rockpro64... maybe someone has had some luck with using the pine64 touchscreen with the rockpro64?? It would be handy if it does since it's a ribbon-cable rather than HDMI job and has the touch screen also... although there is at least a note on the shop page that only the Android builds work with it.

btw, uEnv.txt (when present) is usually located in /boot, as are other boot-related configuration bits...
(05-24-2019, 02:21 AM)pfeerick Wrote: Possibly not... the referenced material above was specific to the pine64, not the rockpro64... maybe someone has had some luck with using the pine64 touchscreen with the rockpro64?? It would be handy if it does since it's a ribbon-cable rather than HDMI job and has the touch screen also... although there is at least a note on the shop page that only the Android builds work with it.

btw, uEnv.txt (when present) is usually located in /boot, as are other boot-related configuration bits...

Hi pfeerick,

Can I just ask: do you know if the mentioned LCD also works on the Pine64-LTS? I just bought both, and I can't seem to get the LCD working. Is it compatible only with the 'normal' Pine64(+)?
PinePhone (BH 2GB + CE 3GB) // RockPro64 4GB (rev. 2.1) - OMV NAS // PineH64 3GB (model B) - off-prem OMV NAS // Pine64-LTS 2GB (rev. 1.2 + Playbox) - Domotics server
(05-25-2019, 03:12 PM)p1x3l3d Wrote: Can I just ask: do you know if the mentioned LCD also works on the Pine64-LTS? I just bought both, and I can't seem to get the LCD working. Is it compatible only with the 'normal' Pine64(+)?

Sorry, no idea. I would have thought it was compatible and just needed the right image, or the right flags set in the configuration, so that it knows to actually use the LCD...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Wifi Module williamdieter 2 2,662 07-20-2022, 03:31 AM
Last Post: imianz
  SCAM from Pine fieni 9 7,703 12-14-2021, 02:22 AM
Last Post: fieni
  Suggestion: PineAIO - 32" screens with upgradable Pine boards inside - mitcoes 0 1,487 03-01-2021, 03:21 AM
Last Post: mitcoes
  Pine A64 assembly Spxrgie 0 1,533 01-29-2021, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Spxrgie
  Rock64Pro polarity rrosenheim 3 4,617 05-29-2019, 10:08 PM
Last Post: rrosenheim